tn36 - mm15 , which one gets the nod?

tom-

Enlightened
It will be a gift for someone whose needs are similar to ours; trail/camping use, thanks in advance.

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
It depends on if you want MT-G2, MK-R or XHP70 emitters.

MM15 MT-G2 5233 lumen is a great little light. I absolutely love mine.

New version of this item is the MM15 MB with two XHP70 emitters. I don't have this one yet, but maybe soon, if GoingGear has a super holiday special on it. I hope so.

TN36: The original version comes with three MK-R emitters, and the new version, the TN36UT, comes with three XHP70 emitters. Vinh54 can modify the UT version up to a lot more lumens, if you so desire. I am waiting on more specs and more comparative beamshots, then I plan on latching on to the Vinh54 TN36UT neutral white, dome on.

Both of the lights that you mention are great flooders, but not designed for throw, having multiple small reflectors with large die emitters.

tom-

Enlightened
Appreciate the reply, what would you guess the difference to be with the new version mm15?

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
Appreciate the reply, what would you guess the difference to be with the new version mm15?
The new version MM15 MB has two XHP70 emitters yielding 6,800 lumens, cool white.

The original version MM15 has two MT-G2 emitters yielding 5,233 lumens, neutral white.

ven

Flashaholic
Very tough choice, so tough i have both and would struggle to choose. Love the mtg2 tint of the previous version, modded to around 7300 OTF lm, UI is again the earlier version and resets to low on pressing and holding the power(to step up modes). Newer versions carry on from mode your on.
Although the parasitic drain is not too bad on my version it is best practice to remove the cells if not in use for a few weeks+. Also the mm15 can not be locked out , the handle is useless imo so stays in the box. Ano is nice but shows up finger marks easy or any grease spots. I find the cells a little awkward to fit and have placed a plastic sleeve over the centre post as it was starting to show slight sign of wear from installing the cells(bit of a poor design as the cells can catch on the threads when inserting and can damage their wraps).

My tn36 is also modded to around 8400lm but with MKR's . UI wise i prefer it slightly as unlike the mm15vn, i can press/hold to advance without resetting to low,like the press/hold from off for moonlight which is handy in the middle of the night. Also can be locked out by a simple 1/8th turn of the body and cells are easy to install due to the carrier. Feels a hefty solid light and decent ano which does not chip easy.

So not exact models as you are looking at, the tn36vn does punch light out a good way with the MKR's for a flooder. Even though i find more niggles with the mm15 due to design(UI is better on newer versions now), i would still struggle to pick an out right one.:thumbsup:

So get both, let him pick and you have the other one :laughing: ,call it a win win situation ;)

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Might want to compare warranties...

http://www.thrunite.com/customer-service/

http://www.niwalkerlight.com/about/?123.html day

s free replacement

We will replace any manufacturing defects within 7 days of a product is received.

36 months guarantee period
Niwalker warrants our products to be free from defects in workmanship and materials within 36 months from the date of purchase with the proof of purchase. We will not repair or replace any part which is found to be defective under artificially damaged.

Limited lifetime warranty
If problems develop after 36 months of the purchase date, we will charge for parts. The total repair fee will be assessed according to the cost of the replaced materials. If damage to the light is substantial, we will provide a quote for repair to the customer who can then decide whether or not to proceed with the repair. Shipping charges will be paid by the customer.