Ideas for Light ?

Budman231

Enlightened
Hi CPF Friends,

Its been some time since I posted in the forums. I have been away from the light scene for some time and need some advise on a light I am looking for. Specs that I'm hoping will help narrow my search down are :

1. 800-1000 Lumens
2. 18650 (1x-2x cells)
3. More throw, than flood
4. Fit into front or back pocket of jeans fairly comfortably (i.e. not a huge light)
5. Prefer something rechargeable in-tube, but not an absolute requirement. I have an external charger.
6. Nice to have would be a voltage indicator (flash pattern or the like) or low voltage warning.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Budman

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just bought ,
[h=1]Niteye EC-R26 Rechargeable EDC Flashlight - CREE XP-L LED - 950 Lumens [/h]I is one of the smallest 18650 light I have seen,meets all your requirements, is USB rechargeable and switch blinks when below 50 % and faster blink below 10%.
Dimensions:
  • Length: 3.9 in
  • Head diameter: 1.02 in
  • Tail diameter: .87 in

7tisix

Newly Enlightened
Have you seen the new ZebraLight SC600 Mk III? Looks like a winner to me, but it hasn't been released just yet. (Shipping starts Nov 30)

Budman231

Enlightened
Thanks for the quick idea. I had not seen this one before.

The reflector seems small, does that allow for good throw ? I dont want a huge diameter reflector, but do want to use it as a spotlight.

Bud

I just bought ,
Niteye EC-R26 Rechargeable EDC Flashlight - CREE XP-L LED - 950 Lumens

I is one of the smallest 18650 light I have seen,meets all your requirements, is USB rechargeable and switch blinks when below 50 % and faster blink below 10%.
Dimensions:
  • Length: 3.9 in
  • Head diameter: 1.02 in
  • Tail diameter: .87 in

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
It throws pretty well with the xml. I use it to check out the yard/shed over 100 ft away, the beams widens out but remains pretty focused.

xyadam

Newly Enlightened
Nitecore MH12 all the way! 1000 lumens, USB recharging and voltage indicator. Also comes with 18650 battery.
Or if you need 1000 feet throw instead of the recharge capability, then the Nitecore P12GT.
Fenix UC35 is good option too.

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
MH12 is nice, I looked at it but decided to go with a smaller light, Niteye is 1/2 inch shorter and a bit skinnier in the body , heads are almost the same diameter

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any ideas would be appreciated.Budman

Hi, Nitecore has a boatload of lights that meets your requirements. The two that come to mind, the Nitecore MH20 and the EC4. The MH20 is USB rechargeable and the EC4, one has to take the batteries out to recharge. I'm new here, welcome back.

Budman231

Enlightened
So far the NC MH12 is at the top of my list. Seems to do all that I want and then some.

I stumbled onto the MH20 which has a larger reflector, but seemingly has shorter throw than the MH12. Not sure why this is unless it has more spill to light up larger area at distance. ?

Keep em coming.. I've looked and considered at all suggestions. The Zebralight is something that I can't wrap my head around. Is there a big fan base for these. ?

Bud

Hi CPF Friends,

Its been some time since I posted in the forums. I have been away from the light scene for some time and need some advise on a light I am looking for. Specs that I'm hoping will help narrow my search down are :

1. 800-1000 Lumens
2. 18650 (1x-2x cells)
4. Fit into front or back pocket of jeans fairly comfortably (i.e. not a huge light)
5. Prefer something rechargeable in-tube, but not an absolute requirement. I have an external charger.
6. Nice to have would be a voltage indicator (flash pattern or the like) or low voltage warning.

Budman

7tisix

Newly Enlightened
So far the NC MH12 is at the top of my list. Seems to do all that I want and then some.

I stumbled onto the MH20 which has a larger reflector, but seemingly has shorter throw than the MH12. Not sure why this is unless it has more spill to light up larger area at distance. ?

Keep em coming.. I've looked and considered at all suggestions. The Zebralight is something that I can't wrap my head around. Is there a big fan base for these. ?

Bud

I have seen many posts about the Zebralights and people seem to like them a lot. But I see you said more throw than flood. My Nitecore P12GT is great at that.

Last edited:

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
For throw, the ZebraLight SC600w Mk. III HI is the one I would look at. It will throw farther than the regular SC600w Mk. III that was mentioned above, but frankly, due to the large emitter size and small reflector, I doubt it will get high ANSI FL 1 ratings for beam intensity and distance. ZebraLight describes it as being a combination of flood and throw.

Unfortunately, this is a new flashlight that will not be released until late this year or early next year. You can read about it in the ZebraLight Product Comparison spreadsheet.

• Neutral-white Cree XHP35 HI emitter
  • 80 CRI, 4500K
  • 1x18650 unprotected battery
  • Popular ZebraLight user interface
  • PID Thermal Regulation
  • Potted electronics

ZebraLight specializes in making compact flashlights that are well-engineered. While mid-priced, they are firmly positioned at the high end of that range. The predecessor to the this flashlight, for instance, was priced at $95 USD. ZebraLight offers a wide choice of emitters and tints.

At ZebraLight, the focus is on engineering rather than glitz. The buck/boost drivers used in previous lights such as the ZebraLight SC62w, produced some of the flattest runtime charts in the business. The boost driver used in the ZebraLight SC5w generates 500 lumens from a single AA NiMH battery. The SC600w Mk III HI will use a newly designed boost driver that many expect will be equally impressive.

I own theSC62w, and love it.

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nitecore MH27

IMG_0968_zpsjuxvx3gt.jpg

The Nitecore MH27 is probably more like what you are looking for. It has an enlarged head, but not one that is super big. It will out-throw both of the Nitecore models mentioned above, but, as stated, it has a fatter head.

It features:

• Cree XP-L HI (V3) emitter
  • 1000 lumens max
  • 1x18650 or 2xCR123A batteries
  • Beam Intensity: 53,500cd
  • Beam Distance: 462m
  • In-light recharging (18650 only)
Click the symbol to read the review by CPF member BugoutBoys.

radiopej

Enlightened
Yeah, the MH27 that's being recommended seems cool. For throw, you should also check out the Olight M20 Javelot, or the Javelot series in general.

7tisix

Newly Enlightened
Hi CPF Friends,

1. 800-1000 Lumens
2. 18650 (1x-2x cells)

Budman

I think #4 eliminates the MH27. Here are some other Nitecores you could consider: P12GT, MH20, MT10A, or EA11. I personally like the tiny EA11. Extra 14500 batts are easy carry.

Last edited:

xyadam

Newly Enlightened
I also hear that the Nitecore MH20 is too wide for the pockets, but it's probably personal preference.
If you don't necessarily need tailcap button and recharging features, I can highly highly recommend the Zebralight SC62 as well. It has a bit less throw than the MH12 but still adequate enough for everyday usage. The interface is also extremely nice, and you have the option to set up the power of the modes as well. Also you can override the last memory, allowing you to turn on the light in turbo or moonlight.
Not to mention that its one if the smallest 18650 light out there.

Price wise tho the MH12 beats it easily, like 65$ vs 130-150$

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Perhaps the OP needs to specify what he means by "more throw than flood." Is there a minimum ANSI FL 1 beam distance that he is looking for? What is he trying to see, and at what distance? How many lux does he want on target, and how far away is that target?

Most of the tube lights that have been recommended satisfy the requirement to fit in a pocket, but frankly, do not have much throw. Even the Nitecore P12GT, which claims an ANSI FL 1 beam intensity of 33,700cd and a beam distance of 367m may disappoint in practice. Most of the reviews I have seen severely question Nitecore's rating.

Nevertheless, the P12GT may be the best compromise between size and throw. To get significantly more throw that that, you need a larger, wider reflector.

Budman231

Enlightened
Thanks to all for your suggestions..!

I think I have decided on the MH27. I was leaning toward the P12GT.. But the recharge in tube feature, extra throw distance, and more tightly focused beam at distance swayed me. Yes it will be a challenge for back pocket carry, but the holdster will probably solve that even though it sticks through a bit.

The nitecore lights have really impressed me.. I am a big fan of small rcr123 lights, but the 18650 lights sure outshine them at longer distance. My HDS light has set the bar very high for any 123 based lights. So after all these great suggestions, I'm going with the MH27.

I'll check back in when my kids buy it for me for Christmas haha..

Bud