Evacuate an Airport for a box cutter?

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
you never know when a box cutter will leap out of a trashcan and attack! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
i don't think we're getting the whole story here...

we often here riduclous stories such as this, but i'm guessing that the box-cutter was only half of it.

i have a hard time believing anyone would be stupid enough to evacuate an airport due to something like that...

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Rothrandir said:...i have a hard time believing anyone would be stupid enough to evacuate an airport due to something like that...

[/ QUOTE ]

That's because you don't live in Connecticut. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I heard the story on the local news. Apparently that was all there was to it. Atleast, that's all that was reported on the news.

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
[ QUOTE ]
Lux Luthor said:
That's because you don't live in Connecticut. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

My sympathies Lux. I used to be a Nutmegger. I have a friend in Hamden who forwarded the story to me.
He was wining about it being -2, I get to whine about -30 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nothing tells the terrorists that their tactics are effective like completly abandoning sane reactions and behaviors. We don't want them to destroy our freedoms and way of life, so we hurry up and beat them to it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

This sort of thing is why I drive everywhere and don't fly anymore.

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yea, i agree revolvergeek. Mission accomplished if this was anyway related to terrorism. Unless of course there was evidence of something potentially more harmful.

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Wits' End said:
[ QUOTE ]
Lux Luthor said:

[/ QUOTE ]

My sympathies Lux. I used to be a Nutmegger. I have a friend in Hamden who forwarded the story to me.
He was wining about it being -2, I get to whine about -30 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh yeah, that's right, we invented nutmeg or something. Almost forgot about that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Funny thing is, I like it more north. These people are wimps. If you walk down the street with a headlamp on or camo clothing, they think you're a lunatic. I wish I was back in upstate NY.

lightnix

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Nothing tells the terrorists that their tactics are effective like completly abandoning sane reactions and behaviors. We don't want them to destroy our freedoms and way of life, so we hurry up and beat them to it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Sadly have to agree, the whole point of terrorism is not to kill the enemy in their thousands, but to change the way they live beyond recognition, so that they all walk around in fear, constantly looking over their shoulders.

No suggestions though, sorry /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
It just isn't the passengers that security needs to worry about:

Smuggling sting nabs 55 from airline, contractor:
[ QUOTE ]
"They are the ant army that descends on the airplane. They are perceived to be part of the landscape," said Tom Cash, a former Drug Enforcement Administration chief who is now a consultant for the Miami-based Kroll Associates security firm.

"The people that are never looked at are those who have a legitimate reason to be there. These are the people with the keys to the kingdom," Cash said.

Sources say the ramp agents and other workers used their employee passes and airport access -- while both on and off- duty -- to meet planes carrying the fake contraband.

[AND]

Sources said 300 kilograms (661 pounds) of phony cocaine was used in the investigation and more than $300,000 paid to suspects. "We didn't run out of defendants," said one source. "We ran out of money."

[HOW WAS YOUR LAST CUP OF AIRLINE COFFEE?]

A separate portion of the investigation -- dealing with food service employees and given the name "Operation Sky Chef" -- began in April of last year after an American Airlines pilot commented that the coffee he drank aboard an aircraft tasted weak.

"Flight attendants went back and checked the coffee filters, and they were filled with heroin, six kilos of heroin within the coffee filter," Kelly said.

[/ QUOTE ]

-Bill