resistors to boost KL1

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tyler,

I thought I PM'd you. Yes, those are what you need. They are what I get.

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guys, this is BLATANTLY off topic I know. Please forgive me.

But...

Has anyone posted a thread explaining how to open an L1 for modding without damaging it? Photos would be a BIG plus as well. All I want to do is replace the emitter in mine then get it centered. It can't be all that hard to do... IF I can get it open! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Any help, guys? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tyler,

I tried to post this before, but I think that CPF went down or something. If you plan on doing KL3's too, you might as well get some .47 ohm resistors too. They just make life a little easier.

Scott,

Protected vice, strap wrench and heat (that's a heat gun, not a hair dryer) have always worked for me, no matter what mod I was doing.

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
But Chop, I don't even know which joint to open! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif

To change the emitter, do I open just that top portion of the bezel, or remove the entire head piece? I really don't want to inflict harm on my L1! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Scott,

Are you talking about an L1 or a KL1? They are entirely different animals. The L1 head does not have a circuit in it and the KL1 does.

If you are doing the L1, all you need to do is get to the luxeon. I can't even remember what the L1 head looks like.

On the KL1, all you need to remove is the bezel ring to get to the luxeon. DO NOT allow the head to break at the seam just above the second ring. If this happens, you 'll have to work around it. Be careful, you don't want to tear any wires loose.

If you have specific questions, a PM may be more appropriate.

Chief_Wiggum

Enlightened
Heh, I just finished up modding my L1 tonight. It's really easy.

You can take the head off, or leave it on. Unscrew the bezel using a strap wrench. The bezel is the first "seam" from the front of the light.

Set aside the bezel/lens/gaskets.

Remove the NX05

Inside you'll see the simple circuit board and emitter.

The solder pad with the wire coming up from the bottom is the anode pad.

Carefully reach down in there with your iron while grabbing the emitter with some small pliers or forceps.

Once the joint heats, one side of the emitter will pop up.

Repeat to the other leg of the LED

Clean the thermal compound with some alcohol (or beer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif )

Apply some ASIII to the new emitter and plop down. Reheat the solder pads with your iron while pressing down on the legs.

I replaced the NX05 with a Fraen LP and the red LD with a TW0K HD. Very nice.

Now the hard part is centering the optic. Drop it in and replace the bezel, but don't screw down all the way. Tap the head a bit until the optic is centered (highly scientific) then try and screw the bezel down without it moving /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif repeat until you get it right /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Let me know if you need more info. I can shoot some pics for you.

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Chop, okay. Thanks for the help in public. I'll PM with some final details.

tylerdurden, sorry for taking your thread off course. It wasn't my intention. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Please forgive me.

Also, thanks for the links to those parts. Even though that wasn't why you started the thread, you ended up helping me a great deal, and I appreciate it.