HDS Systems        
Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst 123456789101114 ... LastLast

Thread: #4 FOURSEVENS Quark Smart QSL !

Default Re: #4 FOURSEVENS Quark Smart QSL !

First thing that came into my mind after seeing this flashlight is a bunch of ideas of how to bluejack (hijack) the communication between flashlight and smartphone.

A neat product, though.

Shipping day! w00t

Quote Originally Posted by sandalian View Post
    First thing that came into my mind after seeing this flashlight is a bunch of ideas of how to bluejack (hijack) the communication between flashlight and smartphone.

A neat product, though.
    One of the first things that came into my mind was how long before the Smart Quark is featured in a James Bond movie.

~ Chance
    Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate! Never buy a flashlight you have to make payments on.

Quote Originally Posted by Prepped View Post
    Shipping day! w00t
    Unfortunately we need a few more days to button up the software. We're update them wirelessly just before they ship out.
    We've updated the ship day to be Friday so they will ship Friday at the latest.
    Thanks for you patience.

Quote Originally Posted by sandalian View Post

A neat product, though.
    Communication is secure and encrypted.
    Quote Originally Posted by snowlover91 View Post
    Sounds good looking forward to seeing the results! Also if it could somehow incorporate a shortcut to the max high and low mode that would be a great feature, similar to the Piston Drive lights years ago (which btw 47's was where I read about and ordered my first true flashlight the Nitecore D10). That way users can ramp to any setting they want then quickly shortcut to turbo or moonlight as needed. A great useful feature and would love to see a similar concept incorporated in one of these! Would buy several if that's the case.
    Yes there are a few short cuts - lots of little easter eggs

Quote Originally Posted by 4sevens View Post
    On the questions of special run ww, nw and whatever varieties the answer is no. None planned in the near future. The XM-L2 we are using is well spec'd and is 85 cri which is plenty neutral enough for me.
    I think you're confusing CRI with tint. And 85 CRI is fairly typical for a cool-white emitter and really nothing to get excited about. Too bad, because they look like neat flashlights otherwise, but I know you guys have had trouble moving neutral and high CRI stock in the past, so really can't blame you for not offering it now.

Quote Originally Posted by the.Mtn.Man View Post
    I think you're confusing CRI with tint. And 85 CRI is fairly typical for a cool-white emitter and really nothing to get excited about. Too bad, because they look like neat flashlights otherwise, but I know you guys have had trouble moving neutral and high CRI stock in the past, so really can't blame you for not offering it now.
    I've been in the light business for over 10 years. No confusion here. I didn't say "neutral white." I said neutral. CRI is the ability to show all the colors evenly - 85 CRI incredible feat given the the improvements over the years. Just three years ago 60CRI is more typical. Remember white led's are really blue led's with a thin layer of phosphor converting the blue light into the rest of the spectrum. If you take a spectrometer you'll see a spike in the blue spectrum. As CRI approaches 100 (sunlight) the spectrum is more evenly filled. You can actually get pretty poor CRI from "warm" or "neutral-white" led's. I'm rather proud to have sourced 85 CRI parts.

Flashaholic*

I've been in the light business for over 10 years. No confusion here. I didn't say "neutral white." I said neutral. CRI is the ability to show all the colors evenly - 85 CRI incredible feat given the the improvements over the years. Just three years ago 60CRI is more typical. Remember white led's are really blue led's with a thin layer of phosphor converting the blue light into the rest of the spectrum. If you take a spectrometer you'll see a spike in the blue spectrum. As CRI approaches 100 (sunlight) the spectrum is more evenly filled. You can actually get pretty poor CRI from "warm" or "neutral-white" led's. I'm rather proud to have sourced 85 CRI parts.
    i somehow missed this nugget of information earlier. 85 CRI should be shouted from the mountains! are these led's exclusive to the quark smart or is it being used on the new pk light and preons?

Quote Originally Posted by tab665 View Post
    i somehow missed this nugget of information earlier. 85 CRI should be shouted from the mountains! are these led's exclusive to the quark smart or is it being used on the new pk light and preons?
    LOL They're in all the new lights

Does that include the Navi?

Quote Originally Posted by keeperofdakeys View Post
    Does that include the Navi?
    Ah no. Sorry - all Cree lights

Quark Smart QSL: The cause of the failure of my SIFBM (Self Imposed Flashlight Buying Moratorium)!

I'm just waiting to see if someone finds an aftermarket pocket clip that works well. I don't care about the 2 x CR123A model. I like smaller lights but it's got to have a clip. I hate things bouncing in my pocket and pushing against my leg when I sit. I find clips eliminate the discomfort.

I didn't say "neutral white." I said neutral.
    Fair enough. I've just never heard of a "neutral" CRI, and I'm not even sure what it means.

Here is a quick demo of the Quark Smart Tactical Interface that it ships with
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJi2Y974H-A

And a demo of the Pro Interface
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnNJjDf9BBc

Wow, that Pro interface is quite good. I may need to get one of these after all.

I have a quick question about the Pro interface: If I am walking around with the light on low level, and push and hold the tailcap, does that give me "momentary Max" until I release the tail, returning me to low?

This is an interesting light. Since you said the Android app is months away, is the only way to switch from tactical to pro is to use the app to switch? No Apple products in this house.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by scout24 View Post
    I have a quick question about the Pro interface: If I am walking around with the light on low level, and push and hold the tailcap, does that give me "momentary Max" until I release the tail, returning me to low?
    Precisely.

Quote Originally Posted by BudmanNC View Post
    This is an interesting light. Since you said the Android app is months away, is the only way to switch from tactical to pro is to use the app to switch? No Apple products in this house.

Thanks
    If you make a special request I can pre-program it for you

Regarding your last two posts- Awesome, and awesome. Thank you!

What I really want to see in the app is for it to ask me how many output modes I want, and what I want each output to be in lumens. That would be absolutely fantastic.

What I really want to see in the app is for it to ask me how many output modes I want, and what I want each output to be in lumens. That would be absolutely fantastic.
    Not there yet - but eventually. The combination of an app on the phone and the Quark smart being fully programmable via software makes almost anything possible.

+1

As much user customization as can be accomplished through the app would be great. Beyond the order of modes too... Behavior of double-clicks of the two buttons, press-and-hold, double-press-and-hold, etc. That would enable all users to fully tailor the light to their preferences.

If that is indeed possible, this would be the most versatile light ever.

One can dream

Whats possible doesn't mean one should do it though. The app serves as a conduit for general customization and not a complete developer kit. At the end of the day less than 1% may use all the various options, settings and features which over complicate the app. What we may do is get a consensus of a desired UI and make it available in the app as another ui

Whats possible doesn't mean one should do it though. The app serves as a conduit for general customization and not a complete developer kit. At the end of the day less than 1% may use all the various options, settings and features which over complicate the app. What we may do is get a consensus of a desired UI and make it available in the app as another ui
    Maybe the app can be designed with a general interface for the average person and then under settings there could be an "advanced" tab that lets users customize much more. That way the app serves the purpose for the person wanting just a few basic changes/settings while also satisfying those who want extra customization. Just an idea, looking forward to seeing reviews for this light.

Quote Originally Posted by snowlover91 View Post
    Maybe the app can be designed with a general interface for the average person and then under settings there could be an "advanced" tab that lets users customize much more. That way the app serves the purpose for the person wanting just a few basic changes/settings while also satisfying those who want extra customization. Just an idea, looking forward to seeing reviews for this light.
    That's the idea - just advanced options. But there won't be some kind of programming language developed to cover every single possibility.

We may make the advanced page an in-app purchase as it is not cheap to develop and the demand for it will be even less.

Of course the UI and features already mentioned will be at no charge.

Unenlightened

I just watched the 2015 Four Sevens 2015 new product You Tube and added a Quark Smart QSL to my order. This is a very innovative example of the Internet of Things and how it can be leveraged to make our hobby better, quicker, easier and more fun. This is a great start of a direction which I am sure will produce some very interesting designs which are no longer tied strictly to a hardware or embedded software design. Once again Four Sevens has charted a ground breaking and innovative direction which will continue to insure it's leadership position at the top end of the industry.

That's the idea - just advanced options. But there won't be some kind of programming language developed to cover every single possibility.

We may make the advanced page an in-app purchase as it is not cheap to develop and the demand for it will be even less.

Of course the UI and features already mentioned will be at no charge.
    Sounds great and wouldn't mind paying a few bucks for the extra option. Any chance of a teaser video for the ramping mode?

Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst 123456789101114 ... LastLast