The Fenix-Store        
Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst 12345678910111215 ... LastLast

Thread: #4 FOURSEVENS Quark Smart QSL !

Default Re: #4 FOURSEVENS Quark Smart QSL !

Quote Originally Posted by snowlover91 View Post
    Sounds great and wouldn't mind paying a few bucks for the extra option. Any chance of a teaser video for the ramping mode?
    not yet

Quote Originally Posted by nmolnar View Post
    I just watched the 2015 Four Sevens 2015 new product You Tube and added a Quark Smart QSL to my order. This is a very innovative example of the Internet of Things and how it can be leveraged to make our hobby better, quicker, easier and more fun. This is a great start of a direction which I am sure will produce some very interesting designs which are no longer tied strictly to a hardware or embedded software design. Once again Four Sevens has charted a ground breaking and innovative direction which will continue to insure it's leadership position at the top end of the industry.
    Hear, hear!

~ C.G.
    Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate! Never buy a flashlight you have to make payments on.

I'd be willing to pay a few extra bucks to be able to decide how many modes, and what output levels those modes put out, to be honest.

Flashaholic*

Question: will this light be available from dealers in places like the UK?

Quote Originally Posted by 4sevens View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Prepped View Post
    What I really want to see in the app is for it to ask me how many output modes I want, and what I want each output to be in lumens. That would be absolutely fantastic.
    Not there yet - but eventually. The combination of an app on the phone and the Quark smart being fully programmable via software makes almost anything possible.
    This is the functionality I need.

I'm legally blind; among other things, my eyes don't have the dynamic range to cope with widely-spaced mode levels. I end up falling between two stools, where one mode is too dim, but the next mode up is too bright.

Being able to set eight modes with even visual spacing on a 350lm light like this one should completely eliminate that problem for me. I'd also be able to make my lowest mode 10 or 15 lumens, without sacrificing mode slots to firefly or moonlight levels I can't use (I have no low light vision to speak of, either).

Extra mode slots are always welcome, too. I can always reduce the number of slots I use, based on experimentation to find the minimum number of modes I can get away with, but I can't add more slots than the light firmware supports. Spare slots would also let me include things like a 1Hz beacon mode. Perhaps 16 mode slots to cover all eventualities?

Being able to easily click up / down to adjacent modes instead of having to click 7 times to reach the next mode down would also be a good thing. Perhaps short press up, long press down?

At the moment, I use a 2xAA control ring light that goes to about 180lm, and it's great for close range work, but I could use more throw, and the control ring introduces significant inefficiency at the lower levels. I'm always on the lookout for upgrades to get more output and more runtime.

I know there are brighter control ring lights, generally using higher capacity cell types, but all the ones I've seen so far present difficulties of one kind or another. For example, being able to accidentally go directly from moonlight to turbo, which would be physically painful to me, or having unwanted options like strobe directly accessible on the control ring right next to a setting I would use, so I could accidentally knock the ring into strobe mode and completely disorient myself.

If you ever do 12 modes (or more!) like this on a 1000lm light, I want it
    Last edited by Phlogiston; 12-09-2015 at 06:45 PM. Reason: missed a bit.
    Phlogiston is the main constituent of Magic Smoke.

If you make a special request I can pre-program it for you
    Wow. Can't ask for better service than that! What's the best way to get the request to you?

That's the idea - just advanced options. But there won't be some kind of programming language developed to cover every single possibility.

We may make the advanced page an in-app purchase as it is not cheap to develop and the demand for it will be even less.

Of course the UI and features already mentioned will be at no charge.
    I realize that this is putting the cart before the horse since v1 of the app isn't out yet, but I'm a programmer so this stuff interests me.... After watching the UI demos again, my concept for 'advanced options' in the Pro interface would be along these lines:

1) to be able to set the [double-click from off] shortcut to the mode of my choice - i.e. from a pick list of the available modes - so it's not limited to strobe;
    2) to be able to set tail switch press-and-hold momentary output to the mode of my choice (same pick list options as above) - so it's not limited to max;
    3) to be able to swap the functionality of the two buttons - so that ramping could be done via the tail switch, and momentary could be done via the side switch;
    4) to be able to disable either the side switch or the tail switch;
    5) to be able to tweak the 5 different outputs individually to slightly different levels - e.g.,
    - set moonlight to either 0.1, 0.5, or 1 lumen;
    - set low to either 3, 5, or 10 lumens;
    - (etc. for other constant modes)
    - set blinky output to either fast strobe, slow strobe, or beacon.

Whether all of the above are feasible or worthy of inclusion is beside the point at this stage ... Just saying that a relatively high degree of customization can be accomplished through a relatively simple application GUI using pick lists and toggle buttons, so a programming language interface is not necessary.

Though I frankly have no idea what it costs to build, test, and distribute this app... I'd happily pay a modest upcharge for the 'advanced options' version if it gave me some or all of the above features
    Last edited by ronniepudding; 12-10-2015 at 09:56 AM. Reason: 10 lumens is low per specs... had it listed as 8

^ Along with the post count, so grows the realization of the potential of David and Paul's Quark, Smart light. This is truly a great time to be a Flasaholicic.

~ C.G.
    Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate! Never buy a flashlight you have to make payments on.

Shipping notice received.

Quote Originally Posted by ronniepudding View Post
    I realize that this is putting the cart before the horse since v1 of the app isn't out yet, but I'm a programmer so this stuff interests me.... After watching the UI demos again, my concept for 'advanced options' in the Pro interface would be along these lines:

1) to be able to set the [double-click from off] shortcut to the mode of my choice - i.e. from a pick list of the available modes - so it's not limited to strobe;
    2) to be able to set tail switch press-and-hold momentary output to the mode of my choice (same pick list options as above) - so it's not limited to max;
    3) to be able to swap the functionality of the two buttons - so that ramping could be done via the tail switch, and momentary could be done via the side switch;
    4) to be able to disable either the side switch or the tail switch;
    5) to be able to tweak the 5 different outputs individually to slightly different levels - e.g.,
    - set moonlight to either 0.1, 0.5, or 1 lumen;
    - set low to either 3, 5, or 10 lumens;
    - (etc. for other constant modes)
    - set blinky output to either fast strobe, slow strobe, or beacon.

Whether all of the above are feasible or worthy of inclusion is beside the point at this stage ... Just saying that a relatively high degree of customization can be accomplished through a relatively simple application GUI using pick lists and toggle buttons, so a programming language interface is not necessary.

Though I frankly have no idea what it costs to build, test, and distribute this app... I'd happily pay a modest upcharge for the 'advanced options' version if it gave me some or all of the above features
    This. This really hard.
    I hope the app eventually develops into something like this. I'd be willing to pay a few extra bucks for this functionality.

I would too throw in a few duckies to get a Advanced App. This would actually be the first app I actually paid for. lol That should show one how excited I am about this potential of this light/tech.

BTW: I got my shipping notification yesterday. Now the wait is on! I almost told David to hold it and jumped in the car and hit the road to Georgia! I so wanted this for the weekend!!
    Interested in Saltytri lights. Pm me!

Quote Originally Posted by Str8stroke View Post
    I would too throw in a few duckies to get a Advanced App. This would actually be the first app I actually paid for. lol That should show one how excited I am about this potential of this light/tech.
    I feel the same way... I've never paid for an app before, but this one would be truly useful. Having the ability to...
    -- customize the UI/output levels, and make adjustments without having to mail it back to 47's to be re-configured;
    -- set shortcuts to low and medium (which I frequently use);
    -- remove strobe (which I never use) from the UI entirely;
    -- set up the light in preparation for a particular task or use-case (e.g., EDC vs. night walk vs. camping trip, etc.) at will;

... all without having to perform 50 clicks, multiple head twists, etc., is definitely worth a few bucks.

Question Re: #4 FOURSEVENS Quark Smart QSL !

Hi David, I had a quick question. Until the app is available to change it, is the low voltage warning by default turned on, and if so, what percentage? I got my ship notice today, and can't wait to get it (also can't wait to play around with the app - any idea of release date?) Thanks in advance and keep the great products coming!!!
    "But know this, that in the last days critical times hard to deal with will be here." 2 Tim 3:1

Quote Originally Posted by xml View Post
    Hi David, I had a quick question. Until the app is available to change it, is the low voltage warning by default turned on, and if so, what percentage? I got my ship notice today, and can't wait to get it (also can't wait to play around with the app - any idea of release date?) Thanks in advance and keep the great products coming!!!
    Default is 20%

I ordered one a couple of days ago. I can't wait to get it!

Enlightened

A little bit of topic but still, If I order a replacement head for my QT2L-x will that be that 85 cri xml you speak of?

Quote Originally Posted by pomah View Post
    A little bit of topic but still, If I order a replacement head for my QT2L-x will that be that 85 cri xml you speak of?

I doubt it, that's probably just old stock floating around. David said that only the new lights have the 85CRI LEDs.

Enlightened

Quote Originally Posted by keeperofdakeys View Post
    I doubt it, that's probably just old stock floating around. David said that only the new lights have the 85CRI LEDs.
    I was thinking that maybe if I asked nicely there might be chance of it

I'm not fond of side buttons, and there is no android app atm, so I have no use for this smart light yet, but who knows what will come?

This is the one that has my attention, once I can pair it with my Samsung S5. I was not digging either interface in the demo though. The Pro would be my choice, but having to double click to change modes makes it harder to use than my Quark Pro's that I have now, since I am very often skipping up to low from moon. Then I saw the ramp option on the side button and thought, aha, that makes it better than the old light, just one long press come on and advance to low or medium. But then after it hit low, it took off like a scalded cat through the medium and high modes, making it a hit or miss proposition that I would be able to get medium without skipping on to high. I do hope this will be slowed to more like the timing of the moon to low jump, or be programmable. But I doubt that it would be programmable unless it was in an extra cost "advanced" model. It's so close to awesome, I want to love it. With the right app options, it can rock for anyone. But as it stands, it would be frustrating for me, even if I had the app for my phone.

What CCT is the LED in this light? Is it 6300k or a little lower, maybe 5700k? The mode/feature which interests me most is the infinite ramping one they're working on. Depending on how that's implemented I might purchase this light. I'm waiting to see some initial impressions of the light and then the release of the app and the infinite ramping feature.

Well you guys are about halfway there towards what i suggested a couple of years ago in an email.
    (i presume a free sample is in the mail? )

so give us access to the µc already!
    we could be trading custom UIs over these forums...

anyhoo what i want to know is: is this open to 3rd party apps?

i strongly feel that could make or break this product...

Mine is arriving today! Excited to play with it.

Bummer, I've not gotten a shipping notice yet on my pre-order... Waiting is the worse part, closely followed by finding the time to R-E-A-L-L-Y play with it! No winter camping trips planned, so the back yard will have to do, and that never gets REALLY dark. Ah, well. Spring will eventually get here, but I still want it really, really, soon!!!!
    Flashaholic Geek - There is never over prepared, only over budget!

Mine is arriving today! Excited to play with it.
    Please post your impressions and thoughts on this light, and how well the app for it works! Looking forward to it! Also the high CRI LED, maybe you could take a few pics of it and let us know what it's like compared with regular cool white?

Quote Originally Posted by BriteGeek View Post
    Bummer, I've not gotten a shipping notice yet on my pre-order... Waiting is the worse part, closely followed by finding the time to R-E-A-L-L-Y play with it! No winter camping trips planned, so the back yard will have to do, and that never gets REALLY dark. Ah, well. Spring will eventually get here, but I still want it really, really, soon!!!!
    I think I was one of the first to order, haha. Biggest impulse buy yet this year for me.

Quote Originally Posted by snowlover91 View Post
    Please post your impressions and thoughts on this light, and how well the app for it works! Looking forward to it! Also the high CRI LED, maybe you could take a few pics of it and let us know what it's like compared with regular cool white?

I will! I can't promise the photos will be all that useful as I don't have a decent one around, but I will do my best. I can certainly offer up an opinion and take a few pictures.

I think I was one of the first to order, haha. Biggest impulse buy yet this year for me.

Ouch! Want some salt to rub into the wound? Ok, you got me.... worst part is I am going to have to steal my wife's iPhone to play with it as I have an Android.

Now, if I can just keep her from noticing it and saying "Honey, what is this app that just showed up on my phone?" I might just live until the new year.
    Flashaholic Geek - There is never over prepared, only over budget!

Quote Originally Posted by BriteGeek View Post
    Ouch! Want some salt to rub into the wound? Ok, you got me.... worst part is I am going to have to steal my wife's iPhone to play with it as I have an Android.

Now, if I can just keep her from noticing it and saying "Honey, what is this app that just showed up on my phone?" I might just live until the new year.
    Haha, I'm sure she'll understand when you explain the immensity of the situation. Sadly the app hasn't been released yet, which is a bit disappointing.

I received mine this morning. A really nice feature is that it can tail stand even though it has a raised button. Not sure if it was mentioned somewhere.
    Also, nice tint and quality build feel to it.

David,
    The manual does not state much in regards to functionality since most of it will be with the app.
    With the light alone is there a way to have the tail cap always turn on in high mode even though I have the side button set to a lower or moonlight level?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by jayke View Post
    I received mine this morning. A really nice feature is that it can tail stand even though it has a raised button. Not sure if it was mentioned somewhere.

David,
    The manual does not state much in regards to functionality since most of it will be with the app.
    With the light alone is there a way to have the tail cap always turn on in high mode even though I have the side button set to a lower or moonlight level?

Thanks!
    Press and hold the rear tailcap for momentary on

Click and hold (double click and hold the second click) to turn on max. continue to hold and it will ramp down.

Quote Originally Posted by jayke View Post

David,

Thanks!
    How is the tint compared to normal cool white lights? And warm tint?

Tint is closer to a neutral I would say. It is warmer than the Zebralight SC62 and Olight S30RII (both cool) that I just compared it with.

Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst 12345678910111215 ... LastLast