"Crazy guy on YT rants about Surefire's inferior products"

nbp

Flashaholic
Highly entertaining, haha. Of course there is a measure of truth in what he says, but those things could be said of any manufacturer really. Everyone innovates and tries to get consumers to continue buying their products through advertising. The fact that other lights are reliable doesn't mean that Surefire is lying about being reliable. Nor do other high output lights mean Surefire is lying about their output. They're simply another option in the sea of products, and consumers are able to pick what they want. If they want a cheaper light, go for it. There is no law that says everyone needs to sell their products cheaply. As for honesty though, it seems Surefire is generally pretty honest about their products.

dc38

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the east coast of the yoosah. In the place wher
Highly entertaining, haha. Of course there is a measure of truth in what he says, but those things could be said of any manufacturer really. Everyone innovates and tries to get consumers to continue buying their products through advertising. The fact that other lights are reliable doesn't mean that Surefire is lying about being reliable. Nor do other high output lights mean Surefire is lying about their output. They're simply another option in the sea of products, and consumers are able to pick what they want. If they want a cheaper light, go for it. There is no law that says everyone needs to sell their products cheaply. As for honesty though, it seems Surefire is generally pretty honest about their products.

I do like his statement about "real surefires" though

Up All Night

Enlightened
Axe to grind? Lol!
If you don't want to commit to the whole vid at least watch from 13:50 on . . . I'm still laughing!
No more! No more! No more!
. . . . Classic! I can feel his anger, lol.

Prepped

Enlightened
Dude. My old E1l with max output of 45 lumens is still my go-to light when I absolutely need a 100% reliable lighting source.

scout24

Flashaholic
I debated a :dedhorse: since this is bad enough when it starts here. Don't need to bring it in from elsewhere. Decided on an :rolleyes: though.

Puredbest

Newly Enlightened
I wonder if this guy is the P.K Paul that he keeps referring to. :laughing: He probably is some kind of ex-surefire employee though judging by how worked up he gets. Despite the fact that he does go a bit crazy, he does have a point; Surefire lights are definitely waaay overpriced.

Greta

Flashaholic
I can tell you for sure that the person in that video is NOT Paul Kim.

Who is it? Don't know. But did anyone else notice the sign floating in the background at the top of the video? It says TrueLight.

m4a1usr

Enlightened
Now that was entertaining. Not enjoyable. But entertaining. Poor guy. Will be remembered as the rambler. Hope he gets back on his med's soon.
:sick:

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
I don't know. Tonight I ran 6-miles in the woods. Started at 10:50 finished at 11:05. HP12 headlamp and SF G2 with M60L. Look at his shelves. Gosh they're actually bowing from the weight of all of his SF lights. Look for yourself.

I think think this guy needs to put away the toy soldiers and take some of those lights off the shelf. That said I look at the innovation of my SC5w or even that new 4/7 smart flashlight compared to some other things and I can understand why this person is ranting though honestly he has enough flashlights to last forever so what's the point but that's just my perspective.

Last edited:

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Part of the attitude is just shtick. It made the video more interesting for me.

Whether you agree with the guy or not, he is more qualified than most to have an opinion. Just look at all those lights! He has spent some quality time with SureFire.

Some of his points are good ones, too. His claim, for instance, that SureFire changed its long-time design of the body tube as a response to LED drop-ins seems to have merit. On some newer models, the head is glued to the body. It does not unscrew. That solves the problem of competition. If you can't get inside, you certainly won't be using a drop-in made by a competitor. SureFire might have chosen to compete by introducing its own line of drop-ins.

SureFire was slow to make the change from incandescent to LED, and in many ways, it is still behind the curve. It is only now backing off its claims that CR123A is the only sensible battery for a flashlight. It's about time. CR123A has a maximum continuous discharge rate of 1.5 amps. There are very few flashlights that can hold to that limit and put out 1000 lumens at the same time.

As a newcomer to the world of high-end flashlights, I was not around when SureFire was in its heyday. Unlike our YouTube fanatic, who has owned and used dozens of SureFire models, I am unqualified to hold an opinion. I have never owned any SureFire flashlight. Neither have I owned an Elzetta. Based on my reading, however, I would probably buy an Elzetta before I bought a SureFire. Everything that SureFire is supposed to be best at—ruggedness, reliability, tactical design, etc.—Elzetta seems to do better.

The exception is a weapon-mounted light. I cannot disagree with the YouTube reviewer when he says SureFire is a top-notch weapon light. Don't know about the Elzetta. It might be, too.

ven

Flashaholic
He is calling shoefire, guess a company hot on the heels of surefire.........

Thats a few mins of my life i wont get back :laughing:

mega_lumens

Enlightened
One of his points about how SF's top notch marketing makes them sound like a leading brand of choice for law enforcement is true though. I have never seen a cop use SF lights here (30,000 police force) Streamlight, Maglite and Pelican are very common. I think we all remember that period when SF was struggling to quickly transition into world of LEDs. People were frustrated when SF started introducing their 80 lumen drop ins with horrible tints when brands like Fenix were roaring. We might never know why SF failed to predict and embrace the LED race on time? At least they have somewhat caught up when consumer demand was hitting them in the pocket.

pk

Photon King
Very well said.

pk

Photon King
I can tell you for sure that the person in that video is NOT Paul Kim.
Who is it? Don't know. But did anyone else notice the sign floating in the background at the top of the video? It says TrueLight.
Are you sure that's not me? hahaha