Malkoff M60F drop-in with a newer LED?

fyrstormer

Banned
I've been using Malkoff M60F drop-ins as bicycle headlights for the past few years, and they work well, but I'd like to get something brighter now. I really prefer the floody beam pattern with no hotspot that the M60F produces, so I don't want to get a normal reflector-focused drop-in. Is it possible to upgrade the LEDs in Malkoff drop-ins, or if not, does anyone know if the M60F is/was available with anything newer than the Cree XR-E emitter?

archimedes

Flashaholic
No, Malkoff dropins are potted, so not really practical to change the emitter.

Yes, there was a (very rare) M60-MCE series of dropins produced with a flood optic in the past.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
There was a brighter two cell MCE. The other option is mule type arrangements, but you may need something in between pure flood and pure throw.

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's my suggestion: get the Malkoff drop in of your choice. Possibly one of the XM-L2 models because they're brighter and floodier. Then, pick up a piece of the DC fix diffusion film available here on the forum. Trim it to fit and stick it on the lens. Reassemble the drop in, lens and o-ring in the head.

You now have a very bright, nicely floody, Malkoff powered headlight.

I've had great success with diffusion film on my headlamps and Malkoffs.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's my suggestion: get the Malkoff drop in of your choice. Possibly one of the XM-L2 models because they're brighter and floodier. Then, pick up a piece of the DC fix diffusion film available here on the forum. Trim it to fit and stick it on the lens. Reassemble the drop in, lens and o-ring in the head.

You now have a very bright, nicely floody, Malkoff powered headlight.

I've had great success with diffusion film on my headlamps and Malkoffs.

+1

fyrstormer

Banned
I've used diffusion film before; it kills the throw too much for bike riding. The flood lense used on the M60 is just about perfect.

It sucks that the M60-MCE drop-in was so limited. That sounds like it would've made a good upgrade.