• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

🔋Klarus Dual-Polarity 18650 Battery Question

Destiny

Newly Enlightened
I ordered a spare Klarus dual polarity 18650 battery with my Klarus RS20 flashlight and had some questions.

First, though most 18650 batteries claim to have a 500-cycle lifespan, the Klarus batteries claim a lifespan of 300 cycles. Why is this? Also, if I were to charge the Klarus batteries externally, say, in a Nitecore charger, can that be done? Seems like the contacts of both polarities would contact the charger's contacts (with positively "negative" results).

The battery I'm using is a 3600mAh type.

Can anyone help me out on this?

kj2

Flashaholic
Don't know why Klarus rates a lower cycle on those batteries. But I do know, you can't charge it in the mentioned charger. This battery needs to be charged inside the light.

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
A Dual-Polarity 18650 ??

I'm baffled - how does (can?) that work?

Would it be usable in another 18650-powered torch?

So, no more worries about reverse-polarity, or, do you still have to worry about battery orientation?

Sorry if I've misunderstood something basic ...

Destiny

Newly Enlightened
The dual polarity battery is designated as a 18650, but it increasingly appears to be a proprietary cell for the Klarus RS20 and similar newly designed Klarus flashlights. It enables batteries to be inserted into the flashlight without regard to polarity. It also aids in the charging of the battery. I'm generally against proprietary batteries, but the RS20 does take standard 18650s, though you can't charge them internally.