Best bulb choices for 2002 Highlander

Qship1996

Enlightened
Peeked at some of the bulbs in the exterior lighting and can see that at 59,000 miles,some of the original bulbs have darkening on the glass envelopes- looking for info on the best bulbs to replace #7443 tail/brake light bulbs and which 9011 to replace the 9005 highbeam bulbs.Already have the Toshiba 9012HIR installed in the lowbeam position for the last several years.Headlamps are like new as the car has been garaged since brand new and never sat outdoors.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Peeked at some of the bulbs in the exterior lighting and can see that at 59,000 miles,some of the original bulbs have darkening on the glass envelopes- looking for info on the best bulbs to replace #7443 tail/brake light bulbs

A major-brand #7443 is what you want. Philips, Narva, GE, Sylvania.

and which 9011 to replace the 9005 highbeam

These.

Already have the Toshiba 9012HIR installed in the lowbeam position for the last several years.

The Philips 9012 is better.

Qship1996

Enlightened
Thanks Virgil.I saw that GE nighthawk was promoting their 7443 as up to 50% brighter than standard 7443 bulbs- hype or true? I understand the philips 9012 is a improvement over the toshiba,but is it a big enough difference that it makes sense to swap out before the toshibas burn out ?

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Thanks Virgil.I saw that GE nighthawk was promoting their 7443 as up to 50% brighter than standard 7443 bulbs- hype or true?

Probably sort of almost true-ish, kind of, with asterisks and fine print. Shorter life, too.

I understand the philips 9012 is a improvement over the toshiba,but is it a big enough difference that it makes sense to swap out before the toshibas burn out ?

Depends what condition the filaments on your Toshibas are in. Even better than the Philips is the Vosla +30 available through GM at a friendly price.

Qship1996

Enlightened
ordered the Philips 9011 bulbs from amazon today.Will hold off on swapping out the Toshiba 9012 bulbs as they probably have only about 100 to 200 hours max run time on them since installed,but this vehicle is now going to be put to daily use so may order the vosla +30 bulbs and store in glovebox for later use.Thanks for the tip!

Qship1996

Enlightened
9011 Philips bulbs and GE Nighthawk 7443 bulbs installed,Vosla +30 9012 bulbs on the way.Any way to remove the factory foglights and install something useful in their place,either aux. lowbeams or if not,driving lights????

PS was surprised the factory original highbeam bulbs,with almost 60,000 miles on them were in pretty good shape considering they are used at reduced voltage as DRLs,glass had minimal very light brown staining only on the very tips,and filaments were not ragged

Last edited:

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
9011 Philips bulbs and GE Nighthawk 7443 bulbs installed,Vosla +30 9012 bulbs on the way.Any way to remove the factory foglights and install something useful in their place,either aux. lowbeams or if not,driving lights?
The fog lamp location is far too low for auxiliary high beams. It may be too low for auxiliary low beams to work very well-- and there's really no reason to have auxiliary low beams if you've got those lamps aimed and fed properly and are going to use +30 9012s.

Qship1996

Enlightened
Now I remember just one of the many reasons why I stopped buying GM cars decades ago....not a single GM dealer in the area stocks these Vosla bulbs, and despite placing the order from the online GM vendor Virgil linked to last Friday- they have had zero contact regarding shipping of my order,despite charging my CC seconds after placing the order.We shall see if they even have them in stock tomorrow when I call asking the status of my order!

don.gwapo

Enlightened
I got the Vosla thru my GM/Toyota dealer. Paid the whole price, ordered it before the end of the day and got it the next day. It's a big improvement over the Philips 9012 LL that I'm using.

Thanks Virgil for the recommendation, I thought the Philips 9012 LL is the best upgrade of the 9006.

Qship1996

Enlightened
Finally got some news on my bulbs,suppose to arrive next Wednesday......12 days from date of ordering,not impressed with that timetable.Guess if they turn out to show real improvement over the Toshibas I am currently running,I will order a second pair of the Voslas as backups so I have them when needed without the long wait.

Last edited:

Qship1996

Enlightened
Vosla +30 9012 bulbs just arrived,they appear to use a true HIR coating I believe because the glass has an iridescent coating on it.Will install soon and report my impressions vs the Toshibas currently in use.

Last edited:

Qship1996

Enlightened
Installed the Vosla +30 9012 bulbs and just came back from a drive on very dark unlit rural roads,honestly cant see any improvement over the old Toshiba 9012 bulbs that were in place before the swap.Granted it was only a 10-12 mile trip,but so far I do not think they are noticeable upgrade?

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Granted it was only a 10-12 mile trip,but so far I do not think they are noticeable upgrade?
Yes, so far you do not think they are a noticeable upgrade.

Remember, the +30 means somewhere in the main part of the beam there is 30% more light than before. It's not going to jolt you with how awesome it is-- but it's still an upgrade. Similarly, one could lose a slight amount of light and not really notice that there's less light-- but the difference is there. 30% more or less light is really right around the very bottom of what is perceivable to us. Nonetheless, you're getting more light where it's needed.

Qship1996

Enlightened
maybe maybe not,other than marketing,has anyone ever tested the Vosla +30 bulb and actually MEASURED a 30% increase in light somewhere in the beam? Easy to want to believe the printed marketing materials,but ........

fastgun

Enlightened
Vosla claims their H13 #27692 and HB4 # 28613 with the nice blue tint gives whiter light.
Maybe the +30 is true, but every company is tempted to extend their claims just a little.
Vosla does make some rugged bulbs for tractors and dirt movers that stabds up to vibration.

Qship1996

Enlightened
Thought I would provide an update on this thread- passenger side Vosla 9012 +30 burned out today, 30 months and 50,000 miles after installation.Had purchased backup pair 30 months ago, so replacement was quick and easy.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
I would have to call 30 months and 50,000 miles "quite acceptable" as far as halogen bulb lifetime goes.