DeWALT 20v Job Site DCL043, modifications.

KidFrost

Newly Enlightened
I have a DCL043, I love the platform, I have tons of batteries. However from what I understand 4 CREE XM-L2's would put out quite alot more light than the factory smaller LED's.

Where do I find info on how to wire up a driver/ drivers to 4 CREE XM-L's. The light its self has a huge heat sink built in, I am sure I can figure out the hardware if I can find info on what components to use and how to wire it up.

Thanks in advance fellas

Well, no help yet, maybe pictures will help garner some help, at this point i really just need to know if I can run XM-L's off the stock driver or if I need a new one. If so, what the best driver I can get to take 20v input for 4 XM-L's

Last edited:

KidFrost

Newly Enlightened
No general info to be had out there. I know the common response is try google, but I cant find a direct answer to what Im looking for.

KidFrost

Newly Enlightened
So I get a full 20v from the driver, there is a common ground and power for the 3 whites on one terminal and power for the single red on another,

KidFrost

Newly Enlightened

I want to mount 4 individual boards on this heat sink, right where the old ones were, with new optics and see if I can keep the factory shroud.

Is this enough heat sink?

KidFrost

Newly Enlightened
After a quick talk with Mike at Rapid LED he has recommended I use a Mean Well LDD-1500LW Driver, So I ordered everything I need.

More pics to come.

KidFrost

Newly Enlightened

Ok, so i have my LEDs mocked up but I have a few questions. When they are all on the heat sink, and I apply power to one it is very dim, if I apply power to one off of the heat sink it is very bright... Why would that be?

Also, Can I solder the LED chips to the aluminum board they are getting mounted to or should I drill and tap holes and mount them with screws?

Last edited:

KidFrost

Newly Enlightened
So, Its done. Ended using a LUXdrive 0A009-D-V-2100 2100mA driver for the 4 XM-L2's.

now we wait for dark.