Nitecore MH27

IMG_0968_zpsjuxvx3gt.jpg

IMG_0946_zpstkpvuiay.jpg

IMG_0965_zpsvggdn4qq.jpg

IMG_0963_zpshzdey4ep.jpg

Manufacturer specs

LED: Cree XP-L HI V3
Max Lumen: 1000
Uses one 18650 rechargeable battery or two CR123A batteries.
Output/Runtime (1x18650): Hi 1000lumens / 1hr – Med 250lumens / 6hr 15min – Lo 55lumens / 28hr – Lower 1lumen / 708hr
Output/Runtime (2xCR123A): Hi 1000lumens / 45min – Med 280lumens / 4hr 45min – Lo 50lumens / 20hr – Lower 1lumen / 505hr
Beam Intensity: 53,500cd
Beam Distance: 462m
Impact resistant to 1.5 meters
Waterproof in accordance with IPX-8 (two meters submersible)
Second generation 'Crystal Coating Technology' combined with 'Precision Digital Optics Technology' provide extreme reflector performance
Uses one 18650 for up to 708 hours of runtime
Equipped with unique tricolored (Red, green, and blue) tactical/signaling lights
4 brightness levels and 6 special modes are easily accessible via dual side switches
Direct access to turbo and red modes
Features advanced temperature regulation (ATR) technology
Spring-loaded impact absorption mechanism with reverse polarity protection
Intelligent Li-ion battery charging circuit (Via Micro-USB charging port)
A power indicator built into the side switch indicates remaining battery power (accurate to 0.1V)
Intelligent memory function for brightness levels and special modes (Besides SOS and location beacon)
Tactical lanyard enclosed
Toughened ultra-clear mineral glass with anti-reflective coating
Constructed from aero grade aluminium alloy with HAIII military grade hard-anodized finish
Stainless steel titanium-plated clip included
Tail stand capability
Dimensions: Length: 154mm (6.06"), Head Diameter: 40mm (1.57"), Tail Diameter: 25.4mm (1")
Weight: 170grams (6 oz)(without battery)
Accessories: Quality holster, clip, metal tactical ring, lanyard, spare tail cap, spare O-ring, spare USB cover
MSRP: ~$90

In the box

You get all of the usual Nitecore accessories. A belt clip, high quality lanyard, spare O-rings, spare USB cover and tail clicky cover, (Better than normal) quality nylon holster, and this time a full metal stainless steel tactical ring!

IMG_0943_zpsjfvjpirh.jpg

Here is the light inside the holster.

PROS
Tough nylon is trustworthy for holding onto your belt and this light
METAL D ring
velcro for your belt, as well as to close the holster
nice tight fit

CONS
flashlight sticks out the bottom a little

IMG_0944_zpspom9lys2.jpg

IMG_0945_zpsbimgoaxf.jpg

Appearance

The MH27 has a black HAIII hard anodized finish over an aircraft grade aluminum body.

the body of the MH27 has moderately aggressive knurling on the body and around the tailcap. There isn't much preventing the MH27 from rolling other than the rubber mode selector switch. Once you add the belt clip and/or the tactical ring, the anti-roll is pretty effective. Without that, I would set the light upright using the front.
Overall grip is very good and comfortable. The light feels very solid, and is only slightly heavier than the P12 and P12GT.
The laser engraved markings are bright white and show up clearly on the body.
As with almost all other Nitecore flashlights, the finish is not Matte, but it isn't highly reflective either.

User Interface

The MH27 is activated by the forward clicky button. If you half press the button, you get momentary. While the light is on, press the + or - buttons to cycle through standard modes. (+) cycles through modes in ascending order, with Hi being the final mode. (-) cycles through modes in descending order, with blue being the final mode. These are all of the standard modes in ascending order:
Blue, Green, Red, Moonlight, Low, Med, Hi

If you press and hold both the (+) and (-) buttons, you will enter the special modes. First is strobe. Press the (+) button to cycle from strobe, to beacon, and finally SOS. Press (-) to cycle through those modes in reverse order, and past strobe is blue/red flashing mode.
If you press both the (+) and (-) buttons simultaneously again, it will return to your last used standard mode. The flashlight also features a memory function that will remember each mode other than SOS and beacon. Once you turn the light off and back on, it will be in the same mode it was left in.
The MH27 also features direct access to Hi and red. Press the (+) and tail clicky at the same time to immediately access Hi while the light is off, or simply press and hold (+) if the light is on. Do the same but with (-) to immediately access the red light.

The MH27 also features a battery voltage readout feature. From the off state, if you press both the (+)(-), and tail clicky, the blue LED under the mode buttons will blink with the battery voltage (accurate to 0.1V).
EXAMPLE:
4 flashes followed by a pause, then 2 flashes indicates full battery at 4.2V
Doing this will also activate "location beacon" mode. The blue LED under the mode buttons will blink every few seconds until the tail switch is turned off.

The MH27 can be recharged with the USB charging port on the opposite side from the mode buttons. Open the flap, and you can plug in the included USB cable to charge the light from a computer, or USB wall adaptor. When you plug in the light, make sure to turn it on otherwise it will not charge, and the mode buttons will blink rapidly. When the light is charging, the mode buttons will blink once every few seconds. When the light is finished charging, the mode buttons will hold steady on.

IMG_0995_zpsx6h2ei36.jpg

IMG_1001_zps0cdjfwyz.jpg

IMG_0961_zpsfiporxof.jpg

IMG_0960_zpssmscds5w.jpg

IMG_0959_zpsvhyzdntf.jpg

IMG_0989_zpsmg8n1ge1.jpg

Comparisons

(Left to right)
P10, P12GT, MH27

IMG_1005_zps0dljmfbg.jpg

​Here is the tail standing capability
The light tail stands well; however, the head is heavy and increases the chance of the flashlight being knocked over.

IMG_0948_zpszg7i0f2g.jpg

The MH27 is waterproof in accordance with IPX-8 (submersible to 2 meters)

IMG_0973_zpspzfe8xku.jpg

Physical Tests

I submersed the MH27 completely in water while pressing the mode buttons and rear clicky switch. I did not find any water to have entered the light at all, even through the USB cover.

During usage on Hi, I still do not feel any significant increase in heat anywhere on the light. This is probably due to the larger head size, thermal "vents" and thermoelectric separation technology Nitecore has inside the light.

The MH27 is completely current controlled, meaning that there is no PWM (pulse width modulation) on any of the modes.:thumbsup: (This results in no flickering at all, even when used with a camera or fan)

The MH27 includes Nitecore's signature physical reverse polarity protection. If the battery is inserted backwards, cannot make connection. This also means that the light can only be used with button-top cells. Flat tops will not work without modification. (which voids warranty)
Both ends of the battery compartment feature a spring to dampen impact of inserting batteries.

When the battery is at 50%, the mode buttons will flash every 2 seconds. When the battery is "low" it will flash rapidly.:wave:

The MH27 also features a thermal regulation system instead of a timed step-down. The system will detect the light's internal temperature in real time and adjust the output based on the reading. This can be beneficial if you are using the flashlight in cold temperatures because the light can hold a higher output for a longer period of time!

IMG_0953_zpsyzm751wp.jpg

IMG_0952_zpsyzms7ywf.jpg

IMG_0951_zpsp7eynwix.jpg

IMG_0950_zpspahr4tqo.jpg

Beam pattern
The Beam pattern on the MH27 is similar to the P12GT, other than the hot spot being even smaller (more concentrated).The flood/spill is nearly identical to the P12GT's, with the P12GT's being just slightly larger.
The New CREE XP-L HI V3 Emitter is domeless, meaning that there is no dome over the diode, it is just flat.
:grin2:
It is also noticeably smaller than the P12's XM-L2 U2 LED

The MH27 also features a smooth reflector which produces great throw, but the beam pattern have some hardly noticeable artifacts caused by the other 3 LEDs and the crenelated bezel. This is nothing unbearable even remotely though.
IMG_0949_zpssnyzzc4a.jpg

ISO 100, f/3.5, 1/60

IMG_0979_zpsinrsslaa.jpg

ISO 100, f/3.5, 1/320
IMG_0980_zpssiesgiat.jpg

ISO 100, f/3.5, 1/2000
IMG_0982_zpskukzzsaa.jpg

RGB LEDs
The Green LED is the brightest, followed by Blue, then red.
The beam pattern is rather sloppy, but that is hard to correct because of the LEDs being put inside a corner of an already used reflector.

IMG_0985_zpsf73e5yjj.jpg

IMG_0984_zpscymix5im.jpg

IMG_0983_zps6qvhr5m4.jpg

DISTANCE BEAMSHOT
The MH27 has great throw. The first fence is around 30 meters away. The treeline is around 122 meters away (measured). The weather outside was rainy when I took this picture, so I did a long exposure that made the light seem ever so slightly brighter than it is to my eye. I did this to compensate for the rain which hinders throw. The image is almost exactly what my eye sees, though.

IMG_0992_zpsqpatdh6i.jpg

Personal Opinions

The MH27 has incredible throw for it's class and size. The light is only 6.06 inches long and provides incredible brightness at incredible throw for being a light that can be pocketed. The size and weight make this great if carried in the holster on your belt or belt loop. This light would come in handy for so many situations ranging from simple night walks, to self defense and weapon mounting. There are nearly limitless uses for this flashlight because of it's size, brightness, throw, and durability. The runtimes are great, especially on moonlight and low.
The striking bezel on the front is great for emergency situations such as self defense or glass breaking. Partner that with the forward tactical switch, and this light can be used to momentarily blind someone and strike them or run.
The battery voltage readout feature is great to have. The Blue LED is bright and easy to see on my sample. I also like that the buttons show the (+) and (-) symbols so that it is easily understandable.
The overall feel of the light is great and comfortable in the hand. I trust this going underwater that I would still have a good grip on the light. Add on the metal Tactical ring and the belt clip, and the grip is even better; however I do not use these for every day carry of the light, as I find that they can get in the way. These would come in handy if the light was being used with a firearm and anti-roll.
The size is not bad, a little on the lengthy side but not unbearable. I could carry this light on my belt with no problem. I successfully fit this in jean pockets without too much trouble, but it depends on the jeans you wear.
:D

When I first started with Nitecore flashlights, I was somewhat opposed to the USB rechargeable feature that some lights had. I felt that it was just one more piece to break or one more cover to leak. Once I started trying out lights that had the USB rechargeable feature, I realized how useful it is. The cover on my sample is very well fitted and secure. I don't see the possibility of water leaking inside the dust cover at all. The Micro USB is a very common cable which means that if yours breaks, it will be easy and cheap to replace. This also means that it is able to plug into computers, laptops, and many other devices so that you can recharge your flashlight without even having to remove the battery

I love the red, green, and blue LEDs. Although the shape of the beam is rather abnormal, in the woods it isn't too noticeable. I also am very pleased that the "special" modes are "hidden" and require holding both mode buttons in order to activate. This keeps them out of the way unless they are needed which is something I very much appreciate.

Another great feature of this light, as I have mentioned before, is that it has a very low mode of 1 lumen. Many manufacturers overlook this feature that I find very valuable. If you are out walking your dog or walking in the woods or on a trail and don't want to kill your night vision, this is great to have because it is just enough to see your surroundings but it won't hurt your night adjusted eyes. Next is the extreme brightness and concentrated beam. This light will reach out several hundred meters giving you useful illumination, especially if using a rifle with a scope (tested). My backyard is 122 meters from the house to the forest start. This light reaches out there with enough brightness to clearly see what I need to see. The beam profile is great for long distance because it has a good tight hotspot, but also has enough flood to see around in front of you. This is a great light to be used outdoors; although, the beam is a little tight to be used indoors. If you point this light at the ceiling, it can provide nice illumination throughout a room, but pointing it directly at objects will result in not seeing as wide of an area.

PROS

Brightness
Great Throw
Battery readout
RGB LEDs
Grip
Low voltage warning
Rechargeable in-flashlight with USB
Good runtime on all modes with incredible runtime on low
Waterproof
Impact resistant
Thermal monitoring

CONS

The only cons I can find about this flashlight are if I am being nitpicky. The Red Green and Blue LEDs have a weird beam pattern to them. It looks very sloppy when shined on a flat surface. This, I know, Is a very hard thing to correct as the LEDs are simply places inside the reflector. This is not much of a big deal to me, but it may be for other people.

I also find the head diameter and the length to be too large for pocket carry. This can be fixed by carrying the light in a holster though!

This is not so much of a "con" but more of a personal opinion. I personally do not find usefulness in flashing red and blue LEDs. I personally think that strobe is more effective and the flashing blue/red LEDs are more for fun than an actual tool. HOWEVER, this feature is cleverly placed so that it is not easily accidentally stumbled upon.

IS IT WORTH IT?

I would absolutely recommend this to a friend and/or complete stranger

MH27 provided by Nitecore for review

Last edited:

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
:twothumbs good review ! Thanks.
Is the gripring plastic or metal.
My nitecore chameleon came with a plastic one that immediately broke :fail:
Also I find the knurling not aggresive enough personally.

BugoutBoys

Enlightened
:twothumbs good review ! Thanks.
Is the gripring plastic or metal.
My nitecore chameleon came with a plastic one that immediately broke :fail:
Also I find the knurling not aggresive enough personally.

The grip ring is completely metal! It also screws on rather than just sitting there.

Last edited:

HipToBeSquare

Newly Enlightened
Very helpful review.

Just a couple of questions, though.

Is the flashlight too big for pocket carry? Looks markedly bigger than MH20 which is already a bit at the verge of being too large in diameter to be comfortable in a pocket. MH27 seems like it may do better with the holster, or in a bail-out bag. You mentioned fitting it into jeans pockets, but it seems like it was a stretch and it took up the whole pocket, and might not be comfortable.

With 4 white light levels, rather than MH20's 5 levels, do you like the mode spacing and output levels, or are they too far apart, especially between 250 and 1000 lumens?

Are the added colors and tighter 'thrower' beam advantages over the more carry-ready size of the MH20 with the less confined beam and no other color emitters? Which do you think would be a better general primary EDC light?

BugoutBoys

Enlightened
Very helpful review.

Just a couple of questions, though.

Is the flashlight too big for pocket carry? Looks markedly bigger than MH20 which is already a bit at the verge of being too large in diameter to be comfortable in a pocket. MH27 seems like it may do better with the holster, or in a bail-out bag. You mentioned fitting it into jeans pockets, but it seems like it was a stretch and it took up the whole pocket, and might not be comfortable.

With 4 white light levels, rather than MH20's 5 levels, do you like the mode spacing and output levels, or are they too far apart, especially between 250 and 1000 lumens?

Are the added colors and tighter 'thrower' beam advantages over the more carry-ready size of the MH20 with the less confined beam and no other color emitters? Which do you think would be a better general primary EDC light?

Hi!

I do think that the MH27 is a bit too big for pocket carry. The MH20 head diameter is 1.25 inches, and this is 1.57 inches. I feel that it is too wide to comfortably carry. Even though it fits in a pocket, it takes up pretty much all of the space. If you had to get the light out quickly, you would probably struggle with it. The holster is great though! I could definitely see carrying it on a belt with the holster.

The 4 levels are perfect for me. They are very similar to the P12's mode spacing. I love it especially on the MH27 because each mode goes up in around a factor of 4 (other than moonlight). I like this because each mode has a significant change in brightness, whereas I have found lights that have another med-hi mode in the 400-500 lumen range to be unneeded. I like this because it also gives you one less mode that you have to cycle through, and I am very big on the K.I.S.S principal! (Keep It Simple Stupid).

As far as beam throw and colors, I personally (this is just my opinion) think that an EDC light should be around the 200-300m throw range. After that, the beam gets a bit too tight for use in close or tight areas. I live in Virginia where there are tons of trees and forest so I don't need a light that can throw extreme distances, especially for an EDC light. I EDC the Nitecore P12 because it has a good 200-230m throw which gives it a perfectly sized hotspot for my taste. Not too small that it can't be effectively used indoors, but not too big that it won't throw a good distance.
The colors are a nice touch. However I don't think they are really NEEDED. I feel that they are more useful for hunters (IE, blue for blood tracking and red for low-profile).

The MH27 is a great light! I would see it being great for EDC in the holster if you live in an area where you want far throw! Also it could be mounted on a weapon and work wonders!

Last edited:

BugoutBoys

Enlightened
My opinion for the best uses for this light are weapon mounting, and keeping in a vehicle. This is a great size and power flashlight to be mounted on a rifle, it also has no startup delay at all when pressing the tail switch. The color modes make it great for hunting and map reading as well.

7tisix

Newly Enlightened
Would this Throw better than an Olight M23 Javelot? It definitely has more bells and whistles.

Last edited:

BugoutBoys

Enlightened
Would this Throw better than an Olight M23 Javelot? It definitely has more bells and whistles.
I want to say yes simply by what I know of the M23 and also what this has to offer, but I don't own the M23 so sadly I can't give you that much of a helpful recommendation!

Torian

Newly Enlightened
Great review. I like the torch. Not liking it enough to make it worth the upgrade from my Fenix PD32UE, but still very nice.

CreeCrazy

Newly Enlightened
Mine will be here tomorrow. I already have the P12GT and now this in the last month.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
got the MH27 as soon as it came out and my rating is well....a "meh". Yes it has very good throw but I dont see it throwing as far as advertised. It is dftly BRIGHT on turbo. Output claims for turbo seem pretty accurate. The RGB secondary LEDS are much brighter than on the SRT7 and their beam patterns while messy are not nearly the mess they are out of the SRT7. I cannot get used to the UI. Fumbling with a horizontally laid out two button switch in the dark for me is very frustrating. I am not to keen on the mode spacing either. One BIG praise I will give the MH27 is that for once NC used an aluminum grip ring I was shocked! I love NC's ATR feature and am happy to have another NC with it.

The MH27 to me seems to be a poor revamp of the SRT7. The mode switches in my opinion are just difficult to use by feel in the dark. Having to hold down both sides of the mode switches etc to get the voltage read out is just nowhere near as convenient and easy as it is on my P12GT. Between the MH27 and my P12GT I greatly prefer my GT. I feel the beam profile is better and although it may not throw as far as the 27 the beam the GT throws at all output levels maintains definition and does not get murky smeary. The beam out my 27 is smeary around the outside of the spill due to the RGB wells more so than my SRT7 which I find strange.

In the end the 27 is a good light with lots of features. I feel the UI would be far better if the mode switches were laid out length wise along the tube. I own just about all the 27's mid size HI competition from the Limited Edition Predator Pro V3 HI to the M23 to the ET G25C2 HI. In the end the other lights are just easier to use especially by feel in the dark and have better beam profiles. Still glad to have it though. The 27's well done and pleasantly brighter RGB may come in useful. As for now the GT is my EDC. Good review.