LED Lenser and rechargeable batteries - is it all nonsense?

doca

Newly Enlightened
This warning appears on the LED Lenser website:

"Can I use rechargeable batteries in my LED LENSER flashlight or headlamp?

Currently LED LENSER'S standard lights and headlamps are optimized for use with disposable batteries and the components can be damaged by the use of anything other than the recommended battery type. Similarly, each LED LENSER rechargeable flashlight and headlamp requires a specific battery to operate and should only be recharged directly through their recharging system."

It's difficult to see any justification for it (unless it's to protect sales of their rechargeable flashlights) - can anyone throw any light on it? Is there any logic to it (I've been using rechargeables for a couple of years now without any apparent ill effect) or is it just an empty warning.

Just bought a nice new LED9414 P14.2 Pro and very keen not to wreck it!

Last edited by a moderator:

stephenk

Enlightened
I'd recommend a forum search, as this has been discussed many a time.

Some, but not all LED Lenser models are direct drive and thus a NiMH cell (which has lower internal resistance than alkaline) could theoretically fry or shorten the life of an emitter. I use eneloops in my P7.2 (which doesn't recommend "high current batteries or accumulators") and P7QC (which allows use of NiMHs and is ??PWM) with no issues.

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
As above, i have a t7.2 fueled with AAA loops and been issue free........

Sure many use nimh in their lensers to no ill effect , still it may effect warranty if ever an issue down the line. So bare that in mind........sure the savings over using alki cells will pay for many new lensers .......:laughing:

:welcome:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
As above, i have a t7.2 fueled with AAA loops and been issue free........

Sure many use nimh in their lensers to no ill effect , still it may effect warranty if ever an issue down the line. So bare that in mind........sure the savings over using alki cells will pay for many new lensers .......:laughing:

:welcome:

P7 here...no issues

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
The non .2 version still used the xp-e LED. Max rated current is 1A but turbo mode on NiMH was 1.2A. The new .2 versions have much better LEDs. The 7.2 is an xpg2 I seem to recall. Not sure if anyone has measured the current draw on that yet