New pictures of LED flashlight beams

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
For those interested, I took a new set of pictures of LED lights. Since I don't have a camera that has a totally manual exposure control, I decided to use a C.C. Expedition as a reference light, to keep the camera's exposure relatively constant. Thus, I have a more accurate rendition of how bright these things *really* are in comparision to the C.C.

Go to http://safeco2.home.att.net/refer.htm to see the pictures. (my LED Museum domain is FULL, so I had to use a different one - but they're all my files in any case)

Right now there are only 15 pics, since I have to get new batteries for some of the lights (like the Millennium and some of the colored lights) before taking more. And some lights I no longer have, like the TurboSpyder and the Eternalight which were loaners, so I can't get their pictures taken in this manner. But most of the lights on my site will.

http://ledmuseum.home.att.net

------------------

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey,...thanks Craig...great !!! I am surprised at how bright the red photon is.

<FONT COLOR="#000000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by KenB on 01-18-2001 at 07:59 PM</font>

Brock

Flashaholic
Digital cameras tend to like red light. The more blue you get the dimmer the camera makes it. With my camera you can take a shot of an object let by infrared only, pitch black to the naked eye. I am guessing this is why the red photon looks so bright, I mean it is bright, but not that bright
smile.gif

Brock

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Super job! Just one suggestion, how about a few shots of different "regular" flashlights against the C.C. Expedition?

-Dan

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dlong:
Super job! Just one suggestion, how about a few shots of different "regular" flashlights against the C.C. Expedition?-Dan<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll see what I can do, but I don't have many to work with. I have the borrowed Energizer Arc White, a 3-D Mag Lite (no batteries), and a 2 "AAA" UKE - but that's it. Everything else in my arsenal of freedom is LED.

There's a reason it's called "The LED Museum" and not "The Fragile Broken Wasteful Incandescent Light Bulb Museum".
wink.gif

------------------

Size15's

Flashaholic
Please don't shine the M6 at any traffic unless you want it to stop or crash!

Brock, how comes your M6 is still out of action?

Oh, by the way, nice photos Craig!

grin.gif

Brock

Flashaholic
I took PK's advice and took them all underwater. They all leaked except the M2, and the M6 doesn't work now (not the lamp). I just had a 9NX lamp explode on me, it sounded like a gunshot, I was just doing a run time test on the battery.

Brock

Luff

Enlightened
Telephony ... I'd like to offer up my compliments on your pics and my thanks. This is exactly what I've been looking for served up at exactly the right time. Both the green and white Trek-7's are in my future!

Random

Brock

Flashaholic
LOL, Craig I will have to start sending you some of my "The Fragile Broken Wasteful Incandescent Light Bulb" lights
wink.gif
I think you would like the Surefire M2, and if I get the M6 working you can stop some traffic with that one.

Brock

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Craig - Showing each light against a reference light was a great idea. Thanks a lot!

RonM

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Attention flashlight junkies... there are MORE new pictures of LED flashlights posted. Same address. http://safeco2.home.att.net/refer.htm

New pictures are of the LEDCORP "Flashlight", the LEDCORP Belt Light, the Energizer Arc White (incandescent mode), a blue Photon, a yellow Photon, and something I already forgot.
smile.gif

------------------

<FONT COLOR="#000000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by telephony on 01-31-2001 at 08:19 PM</font>

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awesome stuff, thanks! If I can make a request -- as if you haven't done enough already
smile.gif
-- could you comment on any anomalous results? When I saw the red photon, I knew immediately that the photography setup was favoring red. Do you agree with that? Are there any other pics whose results are misleading? Looking at the blue results, I'm wondering if there's some weird bias for anything that isn't white, although physically I don't see how that's possible.

hmmwv

Newly Enlightened
most cameras these days (ccd or digital - doesnt mater if still or tv, capture cards) - all tend to favor the longer wavelengths. I had a camera - loved RED for helping the exposure - loved infrared even more!

I think this is why many of the autofocus systems use red leds to illuminate the subject in darkness for the focus to work.