TSA and carry on

Status
Not open for further replies.

2ac

Newly Enlightened
I searched and didn't find anything current. Is anyone aware of any recent issues with their lights and the TSA? I just heard that ine person had their SF "stolen" by the TSA.
FWIW, all I will be carrying is a HDS and a few aaa lights. So nothing menacing.

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
I searched and didn't find anything current. Is anyone aware of any recent issues with their lights and the TSA? I just heard that ine person had their SF "stolen" by the TSA.
FWIW, all I will be carrying is a HDS and a few aaa lights. So nothing menacing.
The regulations posted on the TSA site indicate that flashlights are allowed provided they aren't longer than 7 inches. They consider them tools.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/prohibited-items

LedTed

Enlightened
Not to muddy the waters, but to not forget, the TSA is not the only organization who may stop you for carrying a flashlight.

m4a1usr

Enlightened
Next theyll be limiting lumens.

You may not be too far from the truth. Maybe not from the shear power of maximum output but combined with a strobe effect at the right frequency I wouldn't doubt some idiot politician see's something they assume as dangerous and the next thing you know there are restrictions placed on flashlights. Wouldn't surprise me in the least.

scout24

Flashaholic
Let's go easy, folks. I think the best advice is not to fly with anything "questionable" you're not okay with losing. Arguing at Security about light length, bezel crenulations, etc. will get you nowhere. Carry a Tube. Or a Freedom Micro coin cell light. Or a cheapie AAA or AA light. Or, carry a pre-stamped flat rate box with you and hope you have time to make it to the airport postal facility. Let's try to keep this positive with recommendations... :)

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
Let's go easy, folks. I think the best advice is not to fly with anything "questionable" you're not okay with losing. Arguing at Security about light length, bezel crenulations, etc. will get you nowhere. Carry a Tube. Or a Freedom Micro coin cell light. Or a cheapie AAA or AA light. Or, carry a pre-stamped flat rate box with you and hope you have time to make it to the airport postal facility. Let's try to keep this positive with recommendations... :)
I'm not saying to argue with the geniuses at TSA, however print a copy their regulations and stand up for your rights. Don't be afraid to challenge them and request a supervisor on scene.

Just remember, these are the same folks that worked in private industry before Big Government decided that they should all be Federal workers.:shakehead

I used to travel 200k miles a year repairing large aircraft engines. They paid no attention to the ALL ACCESS badge I carried.

When I lived further north, TSA used my home airport as a training ground for all the stupid things they wanted to introduce (full body scanners and new sniffer systems). Be respectful, but stand your ground when YOU have the proof in hand by printing the regulations.

Don't give up your property so that they can auction it off or worse.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast

dc38

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the east coast of the yoosah. In the place wher
I'm not saying to argue with the geniuses at TSA, however print a copy their regulations and stand up for your rights. Don't be afraid to challenge them and request a supervisor on scene.

Just remember, these are the same folks that worked in private industry before Big Government decided that they should all be Federal workers.:shakehead

I used to travel 200k miles a year repairing large aircraft engines. They paid no attention to the ALL ACCESS badge I carried.

When I lived further north, TSA used my home airport as a training ground for all the stupid things they wanted to introduce (full body scanners and new sniffer systems). Be respectful, but stand your ground when YOU have the proof in hand by printing the regulations.

Don't give up your property so that they can auction it off or worse.

How's this for what "is"? Taken straight from the site for prohibited items. The final decision rests with the TSA officer on whether an item is allowed through

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
...not to fly with anything "questionable" you're not okay with losing....

So folks, don't fly with your PK lights or pens. Their eye-catching shapes will definitely attract attention.

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
How's this for what "is"? Taken straight from the site for prohibited items. The final decision rests with the TSA officer on whether an item is allowed through

So technically, they can confiscate anything they "like"?
It will be helpful to see a list of airports that abuse this power most often.

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
So technically, they can confiscate anything they "like"?
It will be helpful to see a list of airports that abuse this power most often.

Hopefully, there is not too much abuse. If the TSA officer, or his supervisor, should not be the final authority, who do you think should be? Obviously, no matter how much paper he waives, it cannot be the passenger.

scout24

Flashaholic
And only one post (#9) with anything even close to current info. Kindly bring it back on topic, guys... Slamming TSA is not answering the OP's question, no matter how you feel about them.

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't had any issues (100,000 miles this year), but I generally travel with 1x18650 and smaller edc light, largest being a solarforce with a vinz aspheric (? - fold, no hotspot) neutral drop-in.

security at the airport in Toronto asked their supervisor about the ~10 flashlights I had in a bag in my carry-on. No problem.

Chinese airports have a sign saying maximum of 2 li-ion batteries in carry on, I usually have 4-6.

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
At the PSP airport I use the most, the have asked to see my custom lights, not because the needed to but, because they wanted to since the know I have cool gadgets. Still no fan of federal LE as it has been out of control since the Clinton Admin., however, I used to have more problems with the people in the pre-TSA days.

Some airports have a private mail system you can put your things in like if you forget you had a pocket knife, my wife has used it before. Also, if you are at home you can always go back to your car, so always leave early.

The thing that geat the most comments and the love is my Hinderer Kubaton with the pen configuration, it is just a pen.

Covering the the president once, I forgot to pat myself down, and hav a couple custom knives a SAK, and another small knife. The USSS agents are always very polite to us and the agent told me to hide them in an area outside the bubble, so I our thousands of dollars of knives under some rocks, and they were there later. They said if it was just one knife they would let me go in with it, but I had several that time. They are a cool agency and the have to watch their conduct, and I find them educated and easy to deal with in a situation where you for get something, they don't take things away, I have even had them hold things for me and they give them back later.

For a federal agency, they don't create federal cases for something that slipped your mind as all of us no matter what you do, you nave to be on your "A" game at events like that, and they are understanding. So the Service as we call them are cool, plus they get in trouble too. I have many, mostly retired friends, from that agency and there the best of the LE community, because they are protection, and can treat you with respect because the don't look down on you. Not like other mostly local agencies.

The other place the TSA has been very polite to me is New York City's airports, other places not as nice. However, nothing out of control. I feel the worst part is being made to remove your suit coat, shoes and belt - for one lone nut!

So, take and always go with your best, I take my custom lights on commercial flights almost weekly, and if there is an issue, there are ways to figure something out.

just as a back up for the business part of my travel I always go a day or two early, because of weather, and if foe some reason they tried to take my Mc Gizmo's, I would just take it back, leave and FedEX it to where I am going or home and take a later flight. lays go early since a thunderstorm near DFW screws up the entiite ATC system.

Also, if there was no security at all,I mean none, I would board any domestic flight and not worry at all, not one bit.

The real,hassle at airports is not the TSA but the awful people who are telling you to move your car when they can see you have two more items to pug on board -- these people are the real problems of air travel, as you can only load so quick. My company's councel has had several fired over the years. They are not TSA.

Status
Not open for further replies.