MASHUP: Surefire G2X Pro Fire Rescue vs Streamlight Polytac

led-head

Newly Enlightened
This is my mashup impression of the Surefire G2X Pro Fire Rescue Single-Output (320 lumens) and the Streamlight Polytac (275 lumens). For those wondering, the G2X Pro Fire Rescue model is essentially the same thing as an ordinary G2X Pro with the exception of the body color and a higher low output (although mine is a single output model). Please correct me if I am mistaken on any of this.

The G2X cost me $54 and the Polytac cost me $32. Both are running on RCR123s.

IMG_20151202_161518_zpst2f01sg2.jpg

IMG_20151202_161915_zpsnpnd1wbn.jpg

IMG_20151202_1620202_zpswk2pt6ke.jpg

The Beam

The G2X has an orange-peel reflector whilst the Polytac has a smooth reflector. Not surprisingly, the G2X's transition from hotspot to spill is smoother than on the Polytac. The Polytac, however, throws it's beam noticeably further. Tints are dramatically different. While the G2X has a warm-to-neutral range tint, the Polytac is definitely in cool white territory. The beams are equally blinding to my eyes, although those looking for a self defense or tactical oriented light would be better suited with the beam and functionality of the Polytac, which I'll get to next.

IMG_20151202_161707_zpsit437mkz.jpg

G2X Pro ^
IMG_20151202_161834_zpsoubpwd0z.jpg

Polytac^
Didn't realize how bad this one came out, sorry!

I'm not sure which LED is in the G2X (I believe the Polytac is equipped with a Cree XP-G), but the G2X's LED is larger.

Polytac on High
IMG_20151202_162115_zpsllqgnckc.jpg

G2X Pro on High
IMG_20151202_162323_zpsnrhfxe4j.jpg

Notice how the G2X's spill has shadows where the recessed points in the inner crenulation would be.

The spill angle is equally large and the hotspot is slightly larger on the G2X Pro.

This photo puts into context the difference in tint...

IMG_20151202_162224_zps8prlvs1v.jpg

IMG_20151202_162534_zpskzfb64ks.jpg

Functionality

Both lights respond instantly to user input, with the G2X being just a tad more responsive to momentary presses and requiring slightly less travel to engage momentary on. The boot on the G2X has a nice reassuring, authoritative sound over the Polytac which sounds like any Chinese brand boot. The Polytac's clicky, however, is easier to click over the G2X's overly tight clicky which also requires greater travel to turn on constant on.

When it comes to outputs, you can get the G2X Pro in either dual or single output. No programmability is available. The Polytac offers "Ten-Tap Programmability" which allows the user to choose between 3 mode cycles. You can choose between Low, High ; High Only ; or High, Strobe, Low. You change modes using momentary presses. In practice, this might take a little getting used to for those who are not light-savvy, but once you do, you'll really like the Polytac for this. The low outputs on both are virtually the same (G2X at 15 and Polytac at 14 lumens, although the G2X Pro Fire Rescue's low mode is slightly higher at 50 lumens).

I just want to add that from real world use, I've come to really value the programmability of the Polytac. In my opinion, the Polytac is way more functional of a light than the G2X Pro, even in it's dual output configuration.

Build, Quality, and Durability

These are two solid lights. I don't think you can go wrong with either in this respect, but I should add that the Polytac's host will likely get beaten up faster than the G2X's. The lens on the G2X also feels more durable. Threading is equally deep, with the o-ring being slightly larger on the G2X. The G2X has a spring on both the clicky end and the LED end, while the Polytac only has a spring on the clicky end. The spring is longer and larger on the G2X, while the Polytac's is miniscule. If I could guess, I'd say the G2X is perhaps the more durable and reliable of the two, with most of the community likely in agreement.

IMG_20151202_162747_zpsmzvy5ati.jpg

Value & Conclusion

I'll leave this up for you to decide. I think the Polytac is a stellar value compared to any light. It's more functional, although likely less durable than the G2X Pro. The G2X Pro is also a great value, only about $15 more than the Polytac street wise, and offers perhaps the best built host and parts for a sub $60 light. My favorite of the two is the Polytac, although the G2X Pro is a close second.

led-head

Newly Enlightened
That polytac looks nice and durable, may have to get me one.

You are right on your observation! I'm definitely glad I got one. It's got a nice clip, although I wish it was on the other way. The crenulations on the head and tail are well posited for use as an improvised weapon. I would check out the Polytac HP as well if you'd like better throw.

NH Lumens

Enlightened
I posted this about the Polytac earlier in the year;

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?396219-A-Streamlight-PolyTac-in-My-Glove-Box

I remain pleased with mine doing glove box duty, the KeepPower 16650 holds a charge for many months. For this kind of duty, you can't go wrong with either of these lights.