Fenix TK16 and Nitecore P20...your thoughts?

Sanford02

Newly Enlightened
This is not necessarily a one vs. the other thread. I am thinking about getting both of these lights, but I don't want to be disappointed. The last "tactical" style light I bought was the Fenix TK10 and the older ones from Olight (M20, M21, M22). I am looking for similar UIs, but with better output.

For those who own the TK16 and P20, what are some of the things you like and dislike?

Thanks

Jose Marin

Enlightened
I cant speak for the fenix but i bave a p20. The dual button tail cap is cool and all but the slow pwm really ruins the light for me

Power Driver

Newly Enlightened
I have the Fenix TK16. I bought it thinking it was an upgrade to my older 850 lumen PD35 however brightness is pretty much the same on both lights. I'm not that impressed w/the throw of the TK16 however the light itself feels like a well built quality light and I DO like the UI a lot. I just thought being rated at 1000 lumens it was be brighter than my 850 lumen PD35. The beam of TK16 has a more concentrated hotspot compared to the PD35 but just seems to lack the punch to really throw like I was it expecting it to.

Sanford02

Newly Enlightened
Ok, Thanks....some pretty lackluster reviews of these 2 lights so far. I have a PD35, and I like it, but I am looking for something with a more "tactical" UI...similar to the 4 older "tactical" lights I mentioned in the OP.

Besides the TK16 and P20, are there other current options that are better?

Last edited:

nimdabew

Enlightened
I use the p20 on my rifle. It's decent but heavy. I am contemplating selling the light and getting something else.

Sanford02

Newly Enlightened
I use the p20 on my rifle. It's decent but heavy. I am contemplating selling the light and getting something else.

Just to clarify, I do not plan to use them as a weapon light, so I am not too concerned about weight. So far it doesn't seem like anyone is super impressed with either of them.

Is my PD35 just as good in a smaller package?

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I was to buy a single cell 18650 or 2X CR123 I would choose the TK16. I have instead been using single cell 26650 battery lights.

Jose Marin

Enlightened
Just to clarify, I do not plan to use them as a weapon light, so I am not too concerned about weight. So far it doesn't seem like anyone is super impressed with either of them.

Yes it's a solid light. The newer pd35 tac has similar beam but a more tactical ui, worth the look

nimdabew

Enlightened

I like the light, I just want something with a more simple UI for my rifle. I can sometimes accidentally activate the strobe while the light is off. If I had a stiff collar that protected the strobe button, it would be a perfect rifle light. Great spill, big hot spot, usable and programmable modes, and quick activation of a strobe feature. It is just a little too easy to activate the strobe which is why I don't really like the light. A simple guard would increase the usefulness 5x over it right now.

As a handheld, I can't comment. I think the P10 would be a better handheld if form factor are important to you. Better yet, a P12 uber throw light would be near the top of my list.

Brockemi

Newly Enlightened
I became the proud owner of a TK16 about three weeks ago and I love it. I had EDC an LD 12 for about three years and am sold on Fenix durability. I am a Firefighter and do Pest Control on the side so I probably use a light more than anyone. Now as to my likes and dislikes, the TK16 competes with some of our big lights we carry on the trucks, surprisingly it doesn't eat batteries as 90% of the time you can't run it on turbo, oh and did I say it's durable. The only thing that has been a stumble for me is my dexterity on using the mode switch on the tail cap. Awesome light.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
the reason your "850" PD35 seems the same output as the TK16 is because as has been proven in independent test across the forums the original "850" PD35 actually cranked 980-1020 lumens OTF depending on power source. One of Fenix biggest moments of seemingly to purposely grossly under rate their own product for some unknown reason. The only real difference between the "850" and 2014 "960" is tint. So have no doubt the TK16 is easily a true 1000 lumen flamethrower just like the 35's are.

Fenix rates the TK16 at 14500K CD which for its size is good. The TK16's super tough double layer body design is pretty interesting and strong.

Yes the new P12GT XP-L is an amazing light and by far the best P12 yet had mine about a month now. It is the first P12 to be thermally regulated and have a nice copper heat sink. It throws 25k CD which for such a small reflector is amazing. The beam out the GT is very well done.

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't own a TK16 but I do own both models of the P20. The regular and the P20UV.

I like the rear switches. Changing modes is simple with the paddle switch. Also instant access to strobe by holding down the paddle.

If you were in law enforcement that uses the overhand grip, having access to strobe and the various lighting modes is a great feature. The light is programmable to three different modes.

The supplied holster is well made, fully protects the light and carries the light in the heads up orientation.