Xmas shopping help I

LowSpeedHighDrag

Newly Enlightened
Hello all. Currently I keep a Maglite 2C in my truck. Use case is: looking at street signs in the dark, blasting zombies, etc., with no more than an hour of runtime a year. I have another low-power flashlight for repairs, though I'll be replacing that soon also. Really what's needed is throw with some decent spillage. At the time, my thinking was that I can always get parts for a Maglite, and I can always find Cs in gas stations (one of my home flashlights is a 4C Maglite).

I had the old Maglite LED upgrade bulb, which was a little weak. I just bought a Terralux bulb and dropped it in. Sadly, I was disappointed in the result, and yes fresh batteries too. Other than Malkoff I don't see good options. So what I am shopping for now is something that runs on 4xCR123s, LED bulb, fixed focus, and preferably a momentary switch up near the head rather than a tailcap switch. I want durability, reliability, and decent price. I am going to guess that 250-500 lumens will scratch the itch, though I can go upwards of 1000 without problem as it'll never be used indoors. And I DON'T want compactness, because it will get buried/lost in the clutter*.

I've started shopping, but of course now the number of brands and models is overwhelming. I am hoping y'all can help narrow things down for me. Even just giving me 5 brands to look at would be a big help.

TIA

* I have an old SureFire 9P that I love, because its too big to misplace and when held in the usual tactical grip no part of my hand blocks the lens.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
What's your budget?

$35 will get you a pretty bright Mag 2D.

The old faithful Streamlight SL 20 and MagCharger are still quite popular with police officers.

You can safely run a Malkoff M61 drop in with your 9P for about $40. But the M91 although 2x the price is suh-weeeeet! And add an extension tube from Overready to get a 12P!!! (to hold a pair of 18650'), or look at Malkoffs MD3 n 4...

If I ever decide to buy a 9P the M91 will be the way I go.

Last edited:

BugoutBoys

Enlightened
Hello all. Currently I keep a Maglite 2C in my truck. Use case is: looking at street signs in the dark, blasting zombies, etc., with no more than an hour of runtime a year. I have another low-power flashlight for repairs, though I'll be replacing that soon also. Really what's needed is throw with some decent spillage. At the time, my thinking was that I can always get parts for a Maglite, and I can always find Cs in gas stations (one of my home flashlights is a 4C Maglite).

I had the old Maglite LED upgrade bulb, which was a little weak. I just bought a Terralux bulb and dropped it in. Sadly, I was disappointed in the result, and yes fresh batteries too. Other than Malkoff I don't see good options. So what I am shopping for now is something that runs on 4xCR123s, LED bulb, fixed focus, and preferably a momentary switch up near the head rather than a tailcap switch. I want durability, reliability, and decent price. I am going to guess that 250-500 lumens will scratch the itch, though I can go upwards of 1000 without problem as it'll never be used indoors. And I DON'T want compactness, because it will get buried/lost in the clutter*.

I've started shopping, but of course now the number of brands and models is overwhelming. I am hoping y'all can help narrow things down for me. Even just giving me 5 brands to look at would be a big help.

TIA

* I have an old SureFire 9P that I love, because its too big to misplace and when held in the usual tactical grip no part of my hand blocks the lens.

I would without a doubt recommend the Nitecore MH27. It is newly released. Although it does have a tailcap switch, it is an incredible light. 1,000 lumen high mode, throws 462 meters and is only 6.06 inches long. It also has a 1 lumen moonlight mode that will last 708 hours on one 18650 or 505 hours on 2 CR123's.
I just recently did a review on it actually. Here is the link:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?412246-**NEW**-Nitecore-MH27-(XP-L-HI-V3)-Review

Latest posts