Headlamp for cycling, looking at ways to attach a Zebra H600w to my helmet.

claimed4all

Newly Enlightened
Currently looking to add a helmet light to compliment my bar light for winter riding. Will be used for trail fatbiking in the snow. Lots of details below of what I am looking at. Looking for advise on the mount situation, or alternative lights.

I do not want to get a cycling specific light as the mounts are fragile, the batteries are not swapable and they are grossly overpriced in most situations.

I currently run a bar light right now. A Fenix BT20, runs on two 18650 batteries in a remote pack. This light is absolutely awesome on the bars.

For this time of the year a wear a Kali Saha Helmet, not a lot of vent holes to add a strap style mount. Pretty much the same as a skate style helmet.

I am open to other ideas for lights. I need a single cell 18650 light with a spotish beam. My current thought is the Zebra H600w Mk II with the 12d spot/80d spill. I am not looking to light up woods like a football field, just want to increase my night visibility. I feel this light will good for the intended use, which is too see where I look while biking. My bar light is 750 lumens on max, and I run it about 400 lumens and thats plenty of light for the front of the bike.
I thought about a Fenix BT20 on the helmet too, but I dont want to deal with the battery pack on the helmet or a cord to my backpack which I may or may not be wearing. The other thought is the Fenix BC30, but thats a larger light, and two cell, wanted a single cell to keep the weight down. Another thought is just mount a Fenix TK22 to the dome, but mounting will still be similar to the idea I have listed below.

Now my questions are mostly on mounting. The lamp comes with a strap but I doubt that is going to stay put, my guess is it will slide right off the slick surface of my helmet.

I could get some strap clips, this would be the easiest route. If I do go the clip route, any specific clips I should look at? Just not sure how steady the light will be, and then have the strap around my helmet. I would prefer a cleaner version.

My thought was to affix a GoPro style base/mount on my helmet. Then find a way to attach the light to that. That would give me great flexibility moving forward.

Start by affixing something like this to my helmet, curved version.

From that point I would attached a standard gopro base plate.

What I am looking for next is a way to attach a 1" dia. tube to the mount and that would hold the light. I have seen them before, so I know they exist.

Is this a route worth going, or should I look at other options?

I like the idea of a gopro style mount because they are usually real solid and adaptable.

Last edited by a moderator:

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
U can attach it with the headband but the stupid silicone flexes so much it will bounce a bit unless u tuck it up under the visor really well.
Still bounces a tad.

Try making a mount out of thick coat hanger :)

I've made a few for my regular flashlights that look like this:

Looks jank but works.

The go pro mount is a good idea - please post what u end up with :)

Flashlight Enthusiast
right here

three zip ties and the rubber holder

I use this for fast XC MTB

http://i.imgur.com/huwA6.jpg?1

no it does not bounce unless my helmet bounces

mighty F'n fast on my hardtail in all rocky and rooty conditions this is solid...been doing it like this since 2012

Last edited:

geokite

Newly Enlightened
Try this: Zip-tie (or something similar) the H600 to two holes. First go around the H600, pass both ends of the zip through one hole, inside over to the other hole, back out and connect around the H600. This will work if the distance between the holes is less than the length of the H600.

Don't have to use zip-tie, heavy cordage with a good friction knot would work well also. I would also use the silicon holder to give it something to tighten against. Looking at your helmet, it appears that the pair of holes mid-way to the top would work.

I ride with a H600 on my head, and two H600F on my bar (flat, 5-10 degree sweep). The flood of the pair of floodies is amazing for riding; only have to turn the headlight on when going downhill.

Steve

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always hate cutting zipeties off haha feels wasteful. I know u can stick a small screwdriver in there & reuse but I'm too lazy.

They work GREAT tho and I've used them many times with different lights and helmets - usually full face as we do mostly freeride & DH here ;)

My coat hanger mount has been solid on 10ft drops n 20ft gaps etc.

Jagged77

Newly Enlightened
I use my Zebralight for mtb at night, it attaches to my helmet using a twofish lock block. The twofish is flexible rubber and comes in either orientation depending on where the slots on your helmet are. Really solid and effective solution.

lampeDépêche

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Giro full-face Remedy CF, and I simply glued the ZL silicon holder directly to the helmet with superglue. Works fine, has stayed on for a long time. And ZL always sends you spare silicon holders with their lights, so I have another for head-band use.

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use my Zebralight for mtb at night, it attaches to my helmet using a twofish lock block. The twofish is flexible rubber and comes in either orientation depending on where the slots on your helmet are. Really solid and effective solution.

Seconded. Two fish works great.

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't stand the two fish - they bounce like crazy in my experience.
Especially on the bars.

claimed4all

Newly Enlightened
I like the suggestions. I at first wanted the gopro style mount because it is rock solid and will not bounce freely on my helmet.

I think I am just going to order the light and start with zip ties. I may try just zip tying the silicone holder, then inserting the light.

I have tried the two fish blocks before. I don't love those as they always seemed to bounce alot.