MASHUP: Nitecore P20 vs Streamlight Strion HL

led-head

Newly Enlightened
The battle of law enforcement lights continues. On one end, we have the Streamlight Strion HL, a law enforcement staple you can find on almost any duty belt. On the other end, we have Nitecore's more serious law enforcement offering that I would go as far as saying is more oriented for law enforcement than the Nitecore SRT7, despite the SRT7's red/blue flashers :laughing:.

I purchased the Strion HL with both AC and DC chargers for $135 from a police supply store in Houston, TX. They can be had for about $125 online, and about $85 for the light only. I bought the Nitecore from Andrew & Amanda for roughly $50, my Tangsfire 18650 battery and charger cost roughly $10.

IMG_20151204_090130_zpslqpmrx0s.jpg

The Beam

Oddly enough, there's hardly any difference between the two in this respect. Both lights are PMW regulated, although the PMW flicker is more apparent on the Strion on the lower levels. While the Strion has PMW flicker in the mid and low modes only, the Strion has it on all 3 brightnesses, although it isn't nearly as apparent as on the Strion. Selfbuilt has a nice write up on the P10s PMW (essentially the same circuitry as the P20). Beam tint on both is very much cool white, although the hotspot on the P20 is slightly warmer than the Strion's with the spill having a dark blue outline that isn't very well seen on camera. The Strion has a brighter hotspot and brighter spill area. I have to admit, the Strion is perhaps the brightest 500 lumen flashlight I've ever seen. Either Nitecore is seriously overrating their output or Streamlight is seriously underrating it. To the naked eye, brightness is virtually the same, with a nod to the Strion.

Strion HL
Notice the partial orange peel texture on the reflector. Most of the reflector is smooth, however. Alignment is slightly off, although it doesn't affect the beam.
IMG_20151204_090335_zpsxphzgga2.jpg

P20
Notice the crenulations. They're not all that aggressive, but it will allow you to know when the light is on if it's left face down. Strion has no crenulations.
IMG_20151204_090357_zpsd8wv0msw.jpg

Strion HL on High (500 lumens)
IMG_20151204_091112_zpszfqs4lcm.jpg

P20 on High (850 lumens)
IMG_20151204_091055_zpsyeb4eujj.jpg

Although you can't really tell on camera, the spill angle on both is the same. The Strion's partial orange peel texture on the reflector gives it's hotspot a cleaner look and a smoother transition from the hotspot to the spill. I would say the Strion has the P20 beat when it comes to beams.

Here are the two side by side. P20 on the left, Strion HL to the right. Notice how the Strion has a more defined hotspot.

IMG_20151204_091011_zpsp9tcqfwb.jpg

Functionality

The Strion has 4 modes, a high, medium, low, and strobe. The Strion will always turn on in high. To change brightnesses, you press and hold the single button (forward clicky) available as it cycles through the brightness. To activate strobe, double click the button in any mode, on or off. There's no ten-tap programmability. The plain Jane nature of the Strion can leave you wanting for more, or it could be exactly what you want.

The P20 has two buttons placed next to each other. The primary button (forward clicky) will work to turn the light on/off. The mode selector button will switch modes while the light is on. While the light is off, the mode selector button will send you into an instant strobe mode. The PMW circuitry allows the P20 to turn on immediately, even if it's been left off for some time. Unlike what you're used to from China, this light is as fast on it's feet as the Strion (which is what you'd expect, since both have PMW circuitry). The strobe rate is much faster on the P20 than on the Strion. The Strion's strobe is more nausea-inducing, while the P20's is still effective. The mode selector button on the P20 doesn't have much tactile feedback.

As for clicky feel, you might know this is a big one for me. To engage momentary on, the P20 requires less travel and is easier and more accurate to modulate. For constant on, the P20 also requires less travel, with firmness comparable to the SRT7, which I've complained is slightly too firm. The Strion requires a lot more travel for both momentary and constant on, although the clicky has a nice quality feel and it's more comfortable to use, so I'd prefer it over the P20's.

IMG_20151204_090448_zps7zf5qrk5.jpg

IMG_20151204_090433_zpsrqtnc5ga.jpg

Given the three brightness modes on both, the amount of light chosen for each level is important. The P20 has a much more usable low mode. The Strion's low is way too bright for close encounters such as reading, and the obnoxious PMW flicker doesn't make it any easier on the eyes. If you'd like a more usable low and the ability to change modes much faster through a single-button UI, but you'd like to stick to the Streamlight brand, check out the Protac HL. The Protac HL might have been a more apt comparison, but mine is in the shop at the moment for a shattered lens.

So as for functionality overall, the P20 is a better choice if you think the idea of an instant strobe and a secondary button is appealing. Nitecore has executed their set up quite well, and did I mention you can program the light? Sweet.

Reliability & Durability

Intuition tells you there's an obvious winner here. But don't be quick to judge the P20. It has a very respectable size spring on the tail end (although none on the head end) and a larger o-ring than the Strion. The Strion, however, is visibly more durable of a flashlight. With a spring on the tail end and a double spring set-up on the head end, there's no doubt the Strion can take a nice hit on concrete. Although the P20 certainly steps it up for Nitecore, it isn't going to fare as well as the Strion. It should be noted that the P20 has more threading than the Strion. Oh and the anodizing seems to be better on the P20 (HAIII vs HAII on the Strion). The Strion does get scratched up pretty easily.

P20
IMG_20151204_090653_zps35rf31wl.jpg

Strion HL with it's proprietary battery
IMG_20151204_090756_zpsyhj0m9uc.jpg

Value & Conclusion

If you're looking for a secondary light as an LEO, security officer, or just someone who values tactical lights, I'd say the P20 is nicely priced. Priced close to the Thrunite TN12, the P20 is a nice agile alternative with features that are actually helpful when you need a truly tactical light. The Strion is more expensive, but the simplicity offered and the quality + durability + support you've come to expect from Streamlight might make the Strion HL priceless.

It's your call. I prefer the Strion.

Last edited:

Sanford02

Newly Enlightened
I've been contemplating the P20 for a while...this comparison is very helpful, thanks....

I searched for selfbuilts P20 review, but didn't find anything. I am curious to read more about the PWM. Can you link me to that discussion?

Thanks again for the mashup

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Another goody led.

I just purchased an incan Strion. Anxiously awaiting it's arrival for Lego-ing between it and a Terra-LUX'd TL 2. Simply put, the TerraLUX drop in is for the Strion but fits the TL 2 and Night Fighter.
Then the idea is to see if the LED from the early TL 2 (88105) will Lego onto the Strion like the TerraLUX does.

If so I'll pick up a TL 2 (88105) face cap and emmitter for near Malkoff durability in a Streamlight baby cop light. If not another TerraLUX will float my boat.
It likes the 3 volts of the Strion but so far has been fine with 6 volts of occasional use.

The TerraLUX is a big candela 160 lumen drop in with tons of battery life vs a 500 lumen light. And it has a twisty tac switch. If I decide on a clicky the non shock proof TL 2 (88102) is an easily found clicky. The shock proof (88402) comes with a twister. And no multi function interface on any of these....just on/off.

^^ my fraternal triplets...
Await the opportunity to see how they play with an incan Strion.
Note parts n pieces in the pic are swapped onto each other.
The shockproof module and twist cap on the LED body etc.

Older Scorpions can play too.

Last edited:

led-head

Newly Enlightened
I've been contemplating the P20 for a while...this comparison is very helpful, thanks....

I searched for selfbuilts P20 review, but didn't find anything. I am curious to read more about the PWM. Can you link me to that discussion?

Thanks again for the mashup

So it's actually a review on the P10, which is essentially the same thing as the P20 with less output and a smaller form factor...

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...18650-2xCR123A-RCR)-review-RUNTIMES-BEAMSHOTS

led-head

Newly Enlightened
Another goody led.

I just purchased an incan Strion. Anxiously awaiting it's arrival for Lego-ing between it and a Terra-LUX'd TL 2. Simply put, the TerraLUX drop in is for the Strion but fits the TL 2 and Night Fighter.
Then the idea is to see if the LED from the early TL 2 (88105) will Lego onto the Strion like the TerraLUX does.

If so I'll pick up a TL 2 (88105) face cap and emmitter for near Malkoff durability in a Streamlight baby cop light. If not another TerraLUX will float my boat.
It likes the 3 volts of the Strion but so far has been fine with 6 volts of occasional use.

The TerraLUX is a big candela 160 lumen drop in with tons of battery life vs a 500 lumen light. And it has a twisty tac switch. If I decide on a clicky the non shock proof TL 2 (88102) is an easily found clicky. The shock proof (88402) comes with a twister. And no multi function interface on any of these....just on/off.

^^ my fraternal triplets...
Await the opportunity to see how they play with an incan Strion.
Note parts n pieces in the pic are swapped onto each other.
The shockproof module and twist cap on the LED body etc.

Older Scorpions can play too.

Nice, those older models look pretty solid.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
^^ they are.

What started with a titanium colored Coast HP 7 (my wife confiscated for a bedside light) has lead to a multitude of flashlights that are generally that size.
And if all holds true the Strion will become my favorite of all.