Coast HP550

forestersg6

Newly Enlightened
I picked one of these up from a store (Not Wal-Mart) a while back, and am pretty impressed with it. 1,075 Lumens, slide-focus lens, nice aluminium body and decent weight. My only complaint is the 9 AA's it takes..Anyone else have one of these? It must be a special model because it's not listed on Coast's website.

JohnnyBravo

Enlightened
Welcome to CPF. Yes, I have had mine since August 2014. I immediately got rid of the AA alkalines and replaced with Eneloops. Can't stand leakage or the risk of it. It used to be on their site until they redesigned their site earlier this year or was it summer? The 1st gen HP550 (1000 lumens) used to sold in Costcos too. Doesn't it feel well built and have a nice slide-action that can lock? ;-)

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have had 2 of these lights. Despite being an older Coast with the old XM-L in it and the PIA of maintaining 9 AA's it is an outstanding light that really does look like its pushing 1000 lumens. Once again Coasts push pull variable focus is out standing. Got both my HP550's at wally world for 50 bucks. Use 9 L91 AA's in both. Both mine felt solid and the push pull action has been great. Yes you should be able to turn the head counter clockwise to lock it in place.