Mediocre Review of $8 Defiant 250 Lumen Flexible Light

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I'm not going to post any pictures right now but I will give you a link to what it looks like I bought it at
Home Depot I think they may be the only place that sells the brand.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Defiant-Cree-AA-250-Lumen-Flexible-Flashlight-99333/205937841

First off the light comes in a hard plastic package with the flexible "cord" sticking out of it at the top of it and contains 3 Defiant brand alkaline AAs in the package. Be careful when opening the package as it takes a sharp knife or working with good scissors.

When you get it out of the package you unscrew the bottom of the base of the light and drop out the 3AA series battery holder. Be careful with this holder as there are 2 spring terminals up top that a decent drop on them could damage them. After installing the batteries in the usual up/down configuration while having to rotate the holder to try and find the right notches that allow it to drop in you can screw the lid back on and then try it out. I put a sticker on the bottom with an arrow pointing to where the holder needs to be turned based upon the switch.

To operate the light is simple you click the button and light comes out in the following order:
1)main white LED beam HIGH MODE
2)main white LED beam LOW MODE
3)main white LED Flashing Mode (I think high)
4)side red flashing LED (side of light head)
5)side white LED (no flashing)
6)OFF
7)Rinse and repeat 1-6 etc..

NOTE: You can hold the button for a few seconds to turn if OFF upon which it always starts back at 1).

I managed to test the current output of all but the flashing modes using duraloops so current figures for alkalines may be different. Here are my measurements:
1)High LED beam ~510ma
2)Low LED beam ~160ma
3)white side LED ~75ma

I would guess this light isn't regulated I haven't desired to tear it apart yet.

Here in use information/observations.
The Beam is a smaller spot than expected but with orange peel on the inner half the the reflector it is a nice one and spill is plenty. I'm guessing it would throw a decent distance as the reflector is bigger and deeper than a short distance floody type LED light needs. The white side LED (I think it is several smd LEDs of Red/White under a white plastic opaque panel) I can see would be very useful a very nice flood that complements the light and should run for about 24 hours in 1900mah duraloops. The flexible shaft is stiff enough and of decent quality that it shouldn't be an issue in normal use. The battery section of the light has 3 magnets on it that could be a little stronger as it is unable to hold the light any position required on a metal painted surface but if all 3 magnets are engaged and the stalk/head is not acting as a lever to help remove it from the metal surface it will hold. I wish the magnets were twice as strong and there was a very powerful one on the base plate of it too you you could tail stand the base but it will tail stand if you point the stalk and head straight up.

Overall I like this light I think it could be very useful in situations but don't count on the magnet to hold it tight enough. At $8 if you think you could have a use for it you can't go wrong.

Measurements of the light:
Overall lengths 21 inches, with 12 inches of flexible stalk of 3/8 inch diameter, Head 3 1/4 inches long by 1 1/2 inches diameter. Battery section 4 3/8 long by 1 5/8 diameter.
The flexible shaft is requires effort to move it such that it won't move on its own and takes holding onto it in two places to adjust it. The LED "looks" like an XP-E variety but could be a clone. Tint of the Beam was unnoticeable in use.

If you have any questions.. ask.

I may add pictures later but the link and a trip to home depot would probably be more than adequate.

NOTE: I just noticed on the website it lists it as a "CREE" LED light while the package has no mention of "CREE" anywhere on it. Also the package lists "3 modes" when in reality it has 5 modes with the red/white side LED array which is NOT mentioned anywhere on the package at all.

Last edited:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Definitely a tool not a toy.

Looks handy for working on a clothes washer or changing the oil in the car etc.

Thanks!
I haven't tried it on anything yet, I'm still unsure about the strength of the magnet for holding it as when the flexible stalk is extended it has a hard time holding on to the metal on the side of my table here. For now it is a toy to me :D

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Nice "mediocre" review. :p :wave:

thanks, I saw a lot of other lights in their "bargain" area but this one looked like the most fun and cheapest useful looking. They had 4AAA slide lights, D cell 650 and 1000 lumen lights and 3AAA lights and 2AA lights they were out of the 12 dollar 3D lanterns that had 3 modes output they had a display one that worked looked pretty decent.:thumbsup: