Now that it's just us here...let's talk...

Exeter354

Enlightened
Can't say I was ever a fan of Mac's, but damn if he didn't make some nice lights. My only interaction with him was after I picked up a second hand tri-edc that was missing the clip. I sent Mac a pm asking if I could buy just the clip and he wouldn't sell me one. I practically begged him for it and even offered to buy multiple lights, but he just wouldn't sell me a clip for some reason. I was so disappointed, especially since I could buy clips from Don without issue, that I sold the light and vowed not to buy any of Mac's lights again.

Flash forward a few years and I find myself more drawn to his lights than ever. I don't know what happened...it was like a light went on (literally!) and I just had to have a ti SST-50. It took me a year of searching and close calls before I finally got my hands on one. Then I picked up a rare P60 host and now I also have a tri-edc on the way (yes, this one has the original clip)!

I have felt nothing but sadness and frustration for fellow members who never got their lights. I'm still hoping he made good on most of them - it's pretty quiet around here now. I'm a little ashamed of myself for breaking my vow and for my lack of solidarity. And yet, here are two of the most gorgeous lights I've ever owned:

IMG_7317_zpsktjz1loe.jpg

Anyway, just wanted to share...thanks for listening.

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
That Ti P60 light is pretty delicious. I think the one thing we can all agree on is Mac was a heck of a machinist.

Exeter354

Enlightened
That Ti P60 light is pretty delicious. I think the one thing we can all agree on is Mac was a heck of a machinist.

Thanks - I love this P60! It's great because a new drop-in creates a new light! So easy!!

Yes...Mac was a heck of a machinist, cannot argue against that. I wish he had someone handling the business side of things so that he could focus on just making lights. I think the business side drove him crazy. He should have raised his prices and added help in my opinion. Maybe he'd still be doing it today if that was the case.

Anyone else have anything to add? I'm wondering if people sold off their Mac lights once he quit, or did people do what I did...seek them out? I think it's so easy nowadays to get parts - people seem to be able to upgrade these lights themselves. I'm a novice at it and yet I've even dipped my toe into LE upgrades - thanks to Mick's (mcbrat) conversion and tri pills. I think there was a time when most people wouldn't dare crack open that LE unless they were into modding.

Anyway...just wondering how people are feeling these days and what became of their Mac lights. What is apparent is that the values have soared lately!

mcbrat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been seeking (and finding), but I've seen lots of both selling and seeking. I think it was stewdogg who had the original idea to do a triple conversion pill. The standard tri pill is used by 3 different lights now, and there is a good mass there for heatsinking , so it's a good platform for building on for edc type lights. Unfortunately the bodies aren't fully lego-able properly. But at least with engine interchangeability it provides more reusable options. I wish more 2x18350 bodies had been made...

mcbrat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also, there was a higher surge initially, but prices for some have come down some.

Also, if you're a collector, there's only a finite amount of lights and your collection is done... However, since a lot of Mac's work was custom, there's lots of relative rarities out there that were outside of what he had on his Web site, or even on this forum. Who knows what's out there....

Exeter354

Enlightened
That's one of the things I did appreciate from afar...Mac would come out with some gorgeous looking one-off just because he felt like making it. Then he'd post a photo of it and you just knew you'd never be able to get your hands on it. Ironically, I remember him posting a photo of a P60 host like the one I got. Apparently he made 4 of them. If someone had told me back then that I'd own one of them one day, I'd say...you're nuts!!