Nitecore Tube - won't turn off

ToddC

Newly Enlightened
I have a Nitecore Tube with little usage that stopped working.

When connected to a charger both the blue charge light *and* the output LED are on (a low setting)
* Pressing or holding the switch makes no difference to the intensity, nor does it turn the LED off.
* As soon as I remove the charge cable it turns off, but then won't turn on

Anyone else have this problem?
Thoughts on a repair?

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
There have been reports of malfunctioning Tubes. Mine seems to be working fine. It does get used occasionally. Can't say if anyone has reported your same issue, but maybe. If nothing definitive comes along, I am wondering if you will return it to the vendor you purchased from, or open it up yourself to tinker with it.

xdayv

Flashlight Enthusiast
had problems similar to what you described, ended up soldering it.

Last edited:

walterr839

Enlightened
I have been using a Vinh version daily for several months and it just started acting up in that it now strobes on high power

This started suddenly after I last charged it.

Has anyone else seen this or have a suggestion how to correct it??

ToddC

Newly Enlightened
I emailed the dealer, Performance Outdoor Gear through Amazon , and even though they claim to be an authorized distributor/dealer of NiteCore wrote to me that I need to contact the manufacture for warranty service. They ignored my follow-up emails. I called Amazon and they said there is nothing they can do and that they don't have any phone # or address for P.O.G. , nor would they contact them on my behalf.

So I emailed NiteCore at [email protected] but haven't heard back yet. Anyone know what the typical response time is from them?

BTW- http://flashlight.nitecore.com/terms-of-service lists a 5-year free repair for flashlights

ToddC

Newly Enlightened
Bad news:
I never received a response to the first email I sent to Nitcore. I sent them a second email explaining the situation and they responded, saying it's the dealers responsibility to handle warranty work. I replied explaining the situation again but they never responded.

Good news:
Since neither Nitcore or the dealer would honor the warranty service I'm entitled to I decided to open it up. I found the red battery cable was disconnected from the light board.

Searching CPF I found this thread that shows where it should be connected: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...rechargeable)-review-RUNTIMES-BEAMSHOTS-VIDEO

If I hold the wire onto that solder blob the light works as expected! I also verified the 'light stuck on low' when connected to USB when battery is disconncted.

So with a soldering repair this should be back in operation....

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glad you figured things out. Thanks for sharing! It's too bad that the problem occurred to begin with though.

rje58

Enlightened
And even worse to know that Nitecore does not support their products! At least not in this case! and I own two Nitecores and am considering purchasing a third. Now I'll have to think about that third one even harder...

Glad you figured things out. Thanks for sharing! It's too bad that the problem occurred to begin with though.

Milw light

Newly Enlightened
Bad news:
I never received a response to the first email I sent to Nitcore. I sent them a second email explaining the situation and they responded, saying it's the dealers responsibility to handle warranty work. I replied explaining the situation again but they never responded.

Good news:
Since neither Nitcore or the dealer would honor the warranty service I'm entitled to I decided to open it up. I found the red battery cable was disconnected from the light board.

Searching CPF I found this thread that shows where it should be connected: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...rechargeable)-review-RUNTIMES-BEAMSHOTS-VIDEO

If I hold the wire onto that solder blob the light works as expected! I also verified the 'light stuck on low' when connected to USB when battery is disconncted.

So with a soldering repair this should be back in operation....
Same as my Bright Eyes bike light, broken wire. Only difference is Bright eyes customer service is second to none. I had a new light in 3 days & didn't need to return the old one. Your experience with amazon & nitecore is an eye opener, thanks for sharing.

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
And even worse to know that Nitecore does not support their products! At least not in this case! and I own two Nitecores and am considering purchasing a third. Now I'll have to think about that third one even harder...

True, good point!

ToddC

Newly Enlightened
Update:
The day after my last post I was contacted via PM from Nitecore. After sending them copies of my purchase receipt, previous emails,etc. they contacted the dealer which is also lightjunction.com . Lightjunction sent me a replacement for $4 "shipping cost".

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Found my Tube turned on when I took it from my pocket this morning. This time it wouldn't turn off. It seemed to be on high, and multiple clicks did nothing. Luckily after letting it run down and recharging it seems to be back to normal. Thought I might need to break out the spare I got myself for Christmas.

Geoff