Mag-Lite ML50LX or ML300LX which is the best choice?

nez02

Newly Enlightened
I'm torn between the Mag-Lite ML50LX in the 2-C battery vs the ML300LX in a 2 cell-D battery. The lumen difference is 34 lumens with the D cell being brighter and having a further beam distance by 66 meters. The 2D has a peak beam intensity of 33,573 vs the 2C at 22,400 for the FL 1 standard. But where I'm surprised is the 2 C cell has a run time on high of 15 hours where the 2D is 6.5 hours. Is the 2C the obvious choice, or am I missing something with the 2D?

nez02

Newly Enlightened
MOD would this be better in the general flashlight discussion thread?

nbp

Flashaholic
I will move it to the LED Flashlights forum since its more a discussion than a request for a recommendation. You might have better success.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm torn between the Mag-Lite ML50LX in the 2-C battery vs the ML300LX in a 2 cell-D battery. The lumen difference is 34 lumens with the D cell being brighter and having a further beam distance by 66 meters. The 2D has a peak beam intensity of 33,573 vs the 2C at 22,400 for the FL 1 standard. But where I'm surprised is the 2 C cell has a run time on high of 15 hours where the 2D is 6.5 hours. Is the 2C the obvious choice, or am I missing something with the 2D?

If the run time figures are accurate, my guess would be that the 2C has a more aggressive step down than the 2D (typically these step down to 50-70% power after about 12 mins.). A D cell should have about 2 1/2 times the capacity of a comparable C cell, so if you don't get more run time out of a D cell light you should get more total light output.

Bottom line: I would get the D cell ML300 unless you really want the slimmer form factor of the C cell ML50.

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast
As it so happens, I just ordered both an ML50L 2-C and an ML300L 2-D from Amazon; it may be a week or two until they're here but I'll report what I find.

nez02

Newly Enlightened
Were you curious as I was with them both, or just wanted each?

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Were you curious as I was with them both, or just wanted each?

The short version is: yes. LOL!

I was ordering an Eneloop Power Pack for work which comes with 2 D adaptors and 2 C adaptors, and since I was curious about both and wanted both and my workplace could use both (especially with the Power Pack) I went ahead and got both.

Clear as mud?

Lord Flashlight

Enlightened
I always think the maglite C flashlights look a bit top heavy and ugly with the thinner body. Much prefer the 'D' style. Recently bought a 3rd Gen ML300L. Which is exactly the same as the newest ML300LX but has the old shiny finish style mag bodies instead the Matt finish and aggressive knurling of the X. Very impressed and the 524 lumens really throws well.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always think the maglite C flashlights look a bit top heavy and ugly with the thinner body. Much prefer the 'D' style.

The ML series C cell LEDs use a smaller head than the old incan C cell lights.

nez02

Newly Enlightened
Makes sense to me. I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts on them.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have both the new Gen XML2 D cell mags and prefer the 2D it just balances in the hand better and the output difference between the two isnt great enough to make much a visible difference. I see more than 33k CD out of the 2 D LOVE how HUGE the diameter of the beam profiles are. I have yet to run either light on full output long enough for them to start dropping in output but have run them long enough to where 90 percent of other lights would be hot or to hot to touch. They barely even get warm. Put glare coated glass in them both and swear it made a visible difference in beam definition.