LED Lights That Just Never Worked Out

andrewnewman

Enlightened
The title says it all. What lights in your collection did you purchase with high hopes that just never quite worked out? I don't mean minor flaws but something (or a collection of "somethings") that rendered the light a design failure (subjectively, naturally)?

I'll start the ball rolling:
  • The Novatac Storm. All the good things of the original Novatac 120-series flashlights implemented so poorly it just didn't work out. Type II anodization, a weirdly soft positive contact spring that distorts, funny parasitic drain that sometimes (but not always!) drains a fresh CR123a in a week or two and occasional flickering at all brightness settings. This light is an example of picking all the wrong things to cut corners on when (re)-implementing a light as an import from overseas.
  • Sunwayman C20C. First sample flickered on high, had brightness settings that were spaced such that the brightest two (or three!) setting were often indistinguishable. It was larger with a worst UI than comparable 18650 Zebralights and I just couldn't figure out why I would use it vs. other single cell 18650s. Mediocre runtime, a useless low battery LED and just a "cheap" feel. I sent the original back as flawed and the replacement was identical in all regards.
  • Sunwayman D20A Gemini. Cool rectangular shape and an interesting red LED as a secondary. It was *very* heavy for a 2AA light and had kinda sharp corners making it an uncomfortable pocket carry. The UI (with two buttons!) was neither useful nor intuitive. In hindsight I'm not sure what the intended use was of this light but I never found a use that suited me. Pretty much on the shelf permanently now.
  • Peak Logan with QTC. I almost hate to put this on the list. The SS body is beautiful and the craftsmanship is a thing to behold. The optic makes for a great beam and the LED has a good tint for a cool white LED. The problem is that the QTC pill never lived up to expectations. It quickly skipped around in brightness and a slight bump *significantly* changed the light output. Without the QTC pill it is *way* too bright and eats CR123 batteries in obscenely short periods of time. I ordered the QTC upgrade and it seemed better for a bit but fell into the previous sample's habits. I may still ask Peak for a third QTC but in the meantime it's a shelf-er.

So...what's disappointed you?

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought a fishing cap with a built in light,was useless,what a waste of £4.99.Not keen on twist lights at all,they need to much attention with cleaning and lubing so will never buy another ever again I hope.Getting a new anorak for Christmas so going to put those little zip pulls lights on all the pockets to look the part.

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
AAA twist lights, one of the greatest inventions ever, as long as you do NOT use an alkileak, however some here will tell you that they don't leak.

I will also disagree about Inova, their early lights were very good, even excellent, and a few of their current lights are very good.

Dr. Tweedbucket

Enlightened
Totally don't agree on the C20C ... it's one of the nicer fit and finishes out there. I was so stoked with mine I bought a few spares. Maybe you got a counterfeit.
Crappy lights? Ultrafire ... doesn't work right, cheap build. Convoy ... kind of cheap but ok for something to throw in the car. Never too impressed with Nitecore quality. Good website and lots of features though.

Vortus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nightcore AA SENS. Might be other models, dunno, but have the AA. The quality of the light overall is very good. Nice even beam from the optic and pure white tint. But the UI, while unique, is a bit awkward in real use. It functions exactly as its supposed to though. The mode spacing is nice as well. Just the odd motion UI...

Solarforce L2E. Pretty much only angle p60 out there. Good quality, enough thermal mass for some decent heat sinking. But, no interchangeability with other L2 stuff. Why Solarforce? Still a solid light. But it would be in my top 10 if could lego.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just going off my experience with an INOVA T4R. Well designed, extremely well built but had a proprietary battery with poor capacity and put out the nastiest purple narrow beam Ive seen. I do realize their early small lights were indeed good. From what I have read INOVA began under different ownership but then was bought by Nite Ize which was when they pretty much went to pot.

Dr. Tweedbucket

Enlightened
Should we drag Maglite into this thread or no? All I have are the incandescent models with a beam that looks like crap, but it does focus, you have to give em a point for that. I never liked the 3 cell thing either. D cells usually come in pack of 2, so you always have a spare D cell slowly dying while it sits doing nothing.

andrewnewman

Enlightened
Please *do* drag into this any lights you ordered with high hopes or good reviews by others. I'm actually delighted to hear others had good experiences with lights (such as the C20C) that didn't work out for me personally. This thread is all about lights who's mis-features either weren't adequately explained or ended up being more of a show stopper for your personally than you expected. I, for instance, have been in contact with PEAK who has graciously agreed to provide another newer QTC component. I'd be delighted to take this excellent light off my list if the QTC can behave even half decently for more than a few weeks.