How can I remove fingerprints from a reflector?

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello guys!

I need your input before I do anything stupid and regret it.

I have a PR-T that has a fingerprint in the reflector, is there a way to remove it without scratching or affecting the reflectivity?

Any ideas? Or leave it as it is?

Thanks!

Alex

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
BTT

Would running alcohol thru the reflector afect the reflectiveness? Guess I am the only one that made this mistake.

Alex

Mark_Larson

Enlightened
Re: How can I remove fingerprints from a reflecto

I doubt the reflector would be affected by a fingerprint. You could try buffing it out with a flannel cloth like the one used to clean eyeglasses. Failing that, a very soft cotton cloth would work well. (Very old boxer briefs work well)

unnerv

Enlightened

I have used a microfiber cloth on the pelican reflector before and it worked out fine.

K-T

*Moderator*

I would try the alcohol rinsing first - you have to make sure to take 100% pure alcohol, otherwise it will leave some stuff "behind" after drying. It should not affect the reflectiveness if taking pure alcohol. I don't have any experience with fingerprints on reflectors but know that they get scratched pretty quick - thus start with the least invasive method (rubbing the fingerprint away is the last thing I would try).

Klaus.

roguesw

Enlightened

like k-t said, they get scracthed pretty easily,
i have one that has swirl marks from trying to remove a fingerprint out, just rinse with alcohol and dont touch the reflector.
actually, try immersing in 100% alcohol for a few minutes, this can hopefully lift the grease residue off the surface.
hope your work goes well
cheers
des

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast

Someone else suggested spritzing with Simple Green, rinsing with water then buffing lightly with optical cloth. I plug the bulb hole with my finger, drop in some Dawn dishwashing liquid then fill with water and swish. Rinse under a stream of water. Blow dry with canned air.

Wilkey

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast

I used to wear contacts until I had Lasik, and there is an enzimatic cleaner used for removing protein deposits. do you think it can dissolve the fingerprint?

Maybe I'll try that on a cheap reflector and see what happens.

Any more suggestions?

AlexGT

qarawol

Enlightened

What is the reflector made of? If it is alum like the Streamlight SL Lamp Assemblies or the MagLite type chrome reflectors, then glass cleaner with a very soft cloth or cotton should do it. If it is like the Surefire Metalized Vapor Coated Reflectors... DON"T TOUCH IT!

Enjoy...

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,

I agree, I wouldn't use any method where you would wipe it with something. Most reflectors are very delicate and chances are you get tiny scratches. I too use alcohol (denatured) to rinse with compressed air to dry.

roguesw

Enlightened

the pr reflectors are
quote "If it is like the Surefire Metalized Vapor Coated Reflectors... DON"T TOUCH IT!"
des

LightScene

Enlightened

One way to clean eye glasses is to run them under hot water and then pat them dry with a soft cloth, without rubbing. That might work on a reflector too. But don't do use this method if your glasses have an anti-reflective coating. They make special cleaners for anti-reflective coatings.

Another method is to put a drop or 2 of dishwashing detergent on the reflector and then rub it around gently with a wet finger. Then rinse it off and pat it dry.