Maglite solotaire led durability

american

Enlightened
Has anyone put one of these through some serious use? I had one long enough to get a minor scratch but that's it.

I'm looking for a either 1 mode light of 20-50 lumens or one that comes on in medium for a gift it deff needs to be tough though

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've found them tougher than they're supposed to be. One recently survived through the washing machine anyway, and I don't think they're even rated for water resistance like fenix and similar aaa's. You are definitely sacrificing some level of quality/toughness with the solitaire (and mini mags), just not enough ime to give up their unique combination of features I prefer for something else, but ymmv.

Now I'll leave it to the small but very vocal minority who really don't want anyone here buying Maglites. Automated forum topic alerts are ringing their cell phones as we speak, so they can come discuss a brand that doesn't interest them. :laughing:

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I EDC a LED Solitaire on my keys....no real hard use, but I don't baby it either. Only reliability issues so far have been that one time some dust or grit seemed to have worked its way into the switch (or might have been there from the factory?) blew it out with canned air - problem solved.

The other issue is that the tail cap tends to unscrew when attached to my key ring, so I have got into the habit of checking it every couple of days. A little strip of gaffers tape should keep the cap from loosening at all, but so far I have not needed to go this route.

And BTW before the conspiracy theorists charge in on their trusty hobby horses, the LED Solitaire works great with Energizer lithiums and Eneloops.....these are all I use in my Solitaire!

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I've found them tougher than they're supposed to be. One recently survived through the washing machine anyway, and I don't think they're even rated for water resistance like fenix and similar aaa's. You are definitely sacrificing some level of quality/toughness with the solitaire (and mini mags), just not enough ime to give up their unique combination of features I prefer for something else, but ymmv.

Now I'll leave it to the small but very vocal minority who really don't want anyone here buying Maglites. Automated forum topic alerts are ringing their cell phones as we speak, so they can come discuss a brand that doesn't interest them. :laughing:

^^ well put.

I find the solitaire is about as sturdy as a bic lighter. I say that as a compliment.
You can drop one out of a car at 60mph, and the hobo that finds it by the side of the road can use it to light his campfire that night.
Only thing is you can re-fill the energy source of a solitaire much easier.

i bought a bakers dozen this past summer as give aways to people I like.

Last edited: