Newbie help please; Differance between the Olight S10R II and the S1

Topher

Newly Enlightened
Hi there,

Im new to the forum but as of late I have been reading a bunch of threads, but I seem to be stuck in deciding which light is better. I say better, I guess thats opinion, so the suttle differances.

I've narrowed down originally to the S1, very bright and tiny. Although I would prefer a rechargeable but its not a great deal to buy a battery and a charger. Then I stumbled across the S10R II, a revised model which is rechareable and is the same amount of lumens.

Theres slight differances in run times, the S1 battery lasting longer, which isn't a big deal to me. The only thing I can make out other than size which is different is the lamp type, S1 - XM L2 and the S10R II is a XP L HD. Not sure if thats correct but I pulled those from sites.

I tried to find differances is the light produced but didn't find much which the S10R II in comparison.

Not sure if my questions are a bit vague, I've read loads, including the *new* Olight S1 thread but my newbie knowledge or lack of didnt help.

Cheers

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Size is really a bigger difference than you may realize. S1s are tiny. Here's a comparison photo of the two:

qsNj9Vh.jpg

The emitter differences are negligible. An XM-L2 and XP-L HD are very similar emitters, at least ignoring the footprint size which isn't something we generally care much about since we're not building these lights. There's a slight difference in efficiency but it ain't much.

There is, however, a very big difference in their beams. The S1 is a TIR optic and the S10rII has a traditional smooth reflector. The result is a very even, smooth beam on the S1 and a much stronger hotspot with weak spill on the S10rII. Sorry I don't have beamshot comparisons yet - working on it. For me, I'd say the S1 is better for close-up work, the S10rII has quite a bit more reach for longer range stuff. And of course the S10rII adds the recharging base as well.

So I'd say the S1 is the light to get if you're doing closer work, like the TIR beam and want a tiny light; the S10rII wins if you need built-in charging and more throw, and are willing to carry a larger light to get it. They're both very good lights.

Topher

Newly Enlightened
Thank you very much for the info and photo. Im wanting the S1 for the tiny size, which does seem ideal but I think the more throw would suit. The reason being I would use it to walk the dog mostly, which the dogs is only small and doesn't go too far so I understand that there are better torches for throw. But just a little more throw woukd be better.
If theres not a great difference in emitters then it looks like its going to be the S10R II.
I guess the reason it has more throw is due to it having a tighter hot spot with less spill?
Is the light as white in both beams?

Jaegerbomb

Newly Enlightened
Morning!... Yes the light is a similar tint from both... I bought an S1 for myself recently... and love it, and I have bought a number (5 if i remember right) S10RII's as christmas gifts for people... (the recharge-ability of the S10RII makes it great for people who dont want to go dealing with chargers and 16340 batteries etc...).
I already own a number of 16340 torches so the S1 was perfect for me... yes there is a slight size difference... but there is also a slight interface/functionality difference too.
The S1 has a "timer" function... so you can double click when the torch is ON and it will set a timer of either 3min or 9min (handy for when camping for example and going to bed).
However, The S10RII has a low battery indicator (a red ring appears on the button), the S1 does not.

I think the advice above is spot on though... :
If you want a tiny tiny light... then S1. (But you will need to manage batteries yourself, recharge in a separate charger or buy primaries).
If you want a tiny light... then the S10RII (Has it's own charging station (you can also remove the battery and charge with a charger if you prefer!))

Both are excellent torches though... you wont go wrong with either... (and the flashaholic in me says... buy both! There are some good deals available out there on both :) )

Topher

Newly Enlightened
Good morning. I guess the fact that you have bought 5 proves its a good light then. As for the timer, sounds great but not something which I would use. Looks like the S10R II then, further reach with the beam which is ideal really.

I've seen some good deals at banggood, they seem very very cheap, does anybody use them, Im just wary of fakes thats all.