AAA companion to a Snow Peak Mini Hozuki

slbear

Newly Enlightened
I love my Snow Peak Mini Hozuki, even though it was eating up AAA batteries when stored between camping trips. Snow Peak replaced it for free 2+ years after purchase with no receipt - maybe it did have a testable problem.

In any case, this is a great light for hammock camping, but sometimes I could use a companion light that can throw a little further in the woods. 1x or 2x AAA is what I'm thinking, so I only have one type of backup batteries in my pack. Light weight and not too expensive please.

What do you recommend?

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
1x AAA is what I'm thinking... What do you recommend?
theres a thread called difficult not to love AAA.. search for it if you want to read a lot

my signature links have a whole bunch of AAA lights and their various features

I recommend the Olight i3s, inexpensive, very light, reversible pocket clip so you can wear it on a cap like a headlamp, has a nice low, low mode that I love, starts on Medium, which I find very practical, no PWM. All it lacks is a high CRI N219 LED

or if you want a really nice 4 mode AAA light WITH an N219 LED, slightly larger and heavier, but awesome modes and tint, then I would highly recommend the L3 Illumination L08. This is By FAR the least expensive High CRI light that comes to mind in 1x AAA

both of those are twist lights. If you want a clickie tailswitch (that I dont love because they click), the Lumintop Tool in Aluminum is a best buy

and I suggest you consider some rechargeable batteries, I got AAA Eneloop batteries with charger off the bay (18 bucks including 4 AAA, 4 AA, and the charger, ymmv)

slbear

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Jon and Kitrobaskin,

I would like to use some rechargeables. I have Eneloops and some others and a charger - and use them for remotes and computer accessories, but Snow Peak told me to use regular non-rechargeables - maybe their circuit is sensitive to the lower voltage? They may not know what they're talking about but since I had earlier battery draw problems before getting it replaced I was going to try to follow directions in the short term.

Both the Olight and Niteye look interesting. I ordered a Lumintop custom ReyLight in copper on a GB, but I'm still waiting. Either would be a nice addition to my fairly new collection - and the price is right. I don't see any reviews for the Niteye SE-A02. Does it have a decent throw for a light in this size class?

Thanks again for the feedback.

Mill321

Newly Enlightened
theres a thread called difficult not to love AAA.. search for it if you want to read a lot

my signature links have a whole bunch of AAA lights and their various features

I recommend the Olight i3s, inexpensive, very light, reversible pocket clip so you can wear it on a cap like a headlamp, has a nice low, low mode that I love, starts on Medium, which I find very practical, no PWM. All it lacks is a high CRI N219 LED

or if you want a really nice 4 mode AAA light WITH an N219 LED, slightly larger and heavier, but awesome modes and tint, then I would highly recommend the L3 Illumination L08. This is By FAR the least expensive High CRI light that comes to mind in 1x AAA

both of those are twist lights. If you want a clickie tailswitch (that I dont love because they click), the Lumintop Tool in Aluminum is a best buy

and I suggest you consider some rechargeable batteries, I got AAA Eneloop batteries with charger off the bay (18 bucks including 4 AAA, 4 AA, and the charger, ymmv)

Lots of great options posted by Jon, but I have to say I find the i3s the most appealing. Thanks to Jon's wonderful information about aaa lights in general, I have become an i3s convert. At first, their unique appearance and colors, as opposed to the regular, tactical looking lights, was a turn off for me, but after looking at them more and their various attributes (weight, modes, etc) they have grown on me.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't really know anything about the Niteye except a CPF member mentioned it, and I looked at the batteryjunction site. I did not come up with anything substantial with my search.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since the Hozuki is a warm candle like light, I recommend a LuminTop Worm Copper Nichia 219 80lm NW LED Flashlight, or Lumintop TOOL COPPER AAA Nichia 219 High CRI 80lm LED Flashlight.

I think someone that appreciates a Hozuki might appreciate an N219 LED

Many lights such as the Olight i3s and Copper Maratac, use a cooler XPG2 LED, which though brighter, has a more blueish tint due to the lack of red spectrum. Both warm and cool lights have benefits depending on applicatio

here is the difference in pictures.
for illuminating people, food, foliage and dirt the neutral white 4500K N219 is more natural
IMG_7363.JPG

for sheer brightness, the cooler XPG2 wins
this is a very warm LED, warmer than the N219
IMG_0030.JPG

here is the XPG2, much brighter, and cooler. For illuminating nuts and bolts under a car, brighter has the advantage
IMG_0031.JPG

Last edited: