Niteye MINI-1 Rechargeable LED Flashlight - 130 Lumens - CREE-XP-G2 LED OVERVIEW

Alex1234

Flashlight Enthusiast
Today i received the Niteye Mini-1 rechargeable led flashlight. I bought this light on Battery Junction over the black Friday sale for $22 i think. Cheaper then the Mec Army and its pretty much the same light;) This one is Stainless Steel.

SPECS

Features:

• Advanced CREE XP-G2 LED provides stunning illumination
  • Stainless steel body and toughened ultra-clear mineral glass lens make flashlight very durable
  • Twist cap interface allows for easy operation
  • Rechargeable via Micro-USB cable (Not Included)
  • Fully recharges in just 1 hour
  • LED indicator lights up red when flashlight is charging and green when charging is complete
  • Features reverse polarity protection
  • Included Accessories:
    • 1 x 10180 Rechargeable Battery
    • 1 x Stainless Steel Bead Chain
    • 2 x O-Ring

Specifications:

• LED: CREE XP-G2 LED
  • Impact Resistance: 1 meter
  • IPX Rating: IPX-8 (Waterproof and submersible up to 2 meters)
  • Dimensions: 1.61" (Length) x 0.50" (Diameter)
  • Weight: 0.61 oz.
  • Output Modes:
    • 130 Lumens - 0.5 Hours
    • 9 Lumens - 6.5 Hours
  • Peak Beam Distance: 59 meters
  • Peak Beam Intensity: 300 cd
Photos

20151210_175644 by Alex Littig, on Flickr
20151210_175603 by Alex Littig, on Flickr
20151210_175542 by Alex Littig, on Flickr
20151210_175804 by Alex Littig, on Flickr
20151210_175341 by Alex Littig, on Flickr
20151210_175825 by Alex Littig, on Flickr
20151210_175917 by Alex Littig, on Flickr
20151210_175959 by Alex Littig, on Flickr
20151210_180051 by Alex Littig, on Flickr
20151210_180121 by Alex Littig, on Flickr
20151210_175120 by Alex Littig, on Flickr

TUBEVN
20151210_232306 by Alex Littig, on Flickr

MINI
20151210_232319 by Alex Littig, on Flickr

20151210_180403 by Alex Littig, on Flickr

Not sure about long term but for the few hours i have been using it i like it. The first thing i noticed is how small this is. this thing is freaking tiny !!!. Its not a big issue for me because i have small hands but its a bit hard to twist the head to change modes that i will turn the tail cap and not the head or both. there is almost no room to grip the light at the battery tube. its a little tough but its something you would get used to. if you have large hands don't buy this lol. the modes are low and high and high while i dont think its 130 lumens is about 70-80 i would say. honestly im happy its not 130 lumens and here is why. the battery is only 70mah. thats not a lot so your run time will still be short but better then if it was 130 lumens. if your epecting to light up a tree 100+ feet away you will be disappointed but that's not what this light was designed for. it has about a 50-60 foot range but its most useful under 30 feet which is all you need in a light thats small then a AAA battery. The other thing i like about this light is the Necklace chain that came with it. I think thats awesome. i put it on and because it weights nothing i hardly notice it. would be nice for camping for something. the quality of the chain is very nice actually much better then the ones that you get with Dog Tags. The finish is amazing and feels very soild and nice in the hand. THis is really not a review per say just an overview. i cant measure lumens or lux or do run time graphs but i love this light and thought i would share my findings. overall i would rate this light a 8/10

Xaios

Newly Enlightened
That is one tiny battery.

Awesome looking light, I don't think I'd be comfortable relying on a light with such small capacity.

goldenlight

Enlightened
REALLY nice photographs, Alex 1234.

$22 is a good price for such a useless flashlight. The regular price is ridiculous, of course. And then add $3 or $4 for shipping. $35? I don't THINK SO. This flashlight is nothing but a toy for people who have too much money. It's just too small for easy handling. They should have used a bigger capacity battery, and made it 1/2", or 13mm longer. That would increase the battery power/life by about 50%. Two inches, or perhaps a few millimeters longer is STILL tiny.

The choice of just two levels, dim and dead battery in 23 minutes shows that it was engineered by people who know NOTHING about actually using a small flashlight. The 9 lumen setting is useful, but ONLY having one other output level that drains the battery so quickly is just plain inexplicably STUPID. There shouldn't even BE a setting that high, on such a tiny flashlight. Is NOBODY even doing market research? It sure seem like this is NOT the case. They COULD just read candlepowerforums.com for FREE, and get an idea of HOW people use a very small flashlight.

A tiny flashlight is NOT going to be used for search and rescue. It will ALWAYS be used for short to just longer than short distances. Finding your keys. Digging in your car trunk. Perhaps reading. It SHOULD have a minimum of three levels: 1-2 lumens, 9-15 lumens, and the maximum of no more than 30 - 50 lumens, so it has decent battery life. I would design it for 2 lumens, 10 lumens, and 40 lumens. Because I actually USE flashlights. Every. Damn. Day.

For the first time in over 30 years, I had to change a flat tire, last summer. First I had to empty the trunk to get at the jack and the spare tire. I have a lot of stuff in the trunk of my car. The tool provided with the car would NOT turn the jack, to lift the front of the car. I had to dig through the tools I had on hand, and I wound up using a large vise grips. A quarter turn at a time. It took over an hour to change that flat tire. If all I had was this mini flashlight, I would have been SOL. Nine lumens just wouldn't have been enough light.

But, if ALL I HAD was a Nitecore Tube, I would have had enough light, and enough run time. I bought TWO of them off Ebay for $14, including shipping. Yes. $7 each. Delivered. I can't see HOW the guy made any money at all, but I did VERY well.

Last point but not least, the Mini-1 SHOULD be offered in aluminum, for two reasons: it could be sold for less money, increasing total sales. AND, it would weigh less. If you keep a flashlight on a key chain, you want it to be as light as possible. I can't count the number of times I've read about people who have had to pay as much as $600 to get their ignition lock and switch replaced, because their key chain was just too heavy. I bought a single AAA stainless steel Fenix flashlight to put on my key chain. It's just WAY too heavy. I had to buy another AAA light made of aluminum.

So, in conclusion: All of you flashaholics thinking of buying a Niteye Mini-1. JUST. DON'T. DO. IT.

Do yourself a favor: buy a Nitecore Tube. THEY have engineers that understand how to build a small flashlight. No. It won't light up things at much of a distance. It's designed for mainly close up use. But, at maximum output, it lights up my entire back yard, which is PLENTY of light for me. And it costs ONE THIRD the price of a Mini-1. It has infinitely adjustable output.

My ONLY complaint about the Nitecore Tube, AND the Niteye Mini-1, is that they don't come with a charging cable. Niteye makes this very clear, to their credit. Nitecore does NOT. A charging cable would literally cost an extra 25 CENTS, or LESS, to include with both flashlights. When I got my Nitecore Tube(s) I didn't have a charging cable. As I wanted a charging cable quickly, and NOT in a MONTH shipped from China, it cost me as much as the Nitecore Tube. I still have a bad taste in my mouth over the FACT that Nitecore doesn't state clearly in their advertizing, that the charging cable does NOT come with the light. They should be honest and up front about this.

You're welcome.

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought one and am thoroughly satisfied right now. I like the design over Cooyoo/Mecarmy. It feels and looks a little more substantial. I might pick up a brass version just released. Considering it's following in the footsteps of its predecessors a titanium version would be cool.

Last edited:

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Titanium and Brass version is available! Extra batteries are less than $2/each shipped if longer runtime is desired. Awesome!

Whitty

Newly Enlightened
REALLY nice photographs, Alex 1234.

$22 is a good price for such a useless flashlight. The regular price is ridiculous, of course. And then add $3 or $4 for shipping. $35? I don't THINK SO. This flashlight is nothing but a toy for people who have too much money. It's just too small for easy handling. They should have used a bigger capacity battery, and made it 1/2", or 13mm longer. That would increase the battery power/life by about 50%. Two inches, or perhaps a few millimeters longer is STILL tiny.

The choice of just two levels, dim and dead battery in 23 minutes shows that it was engineered by people who know NOTHING about actually using a small flashlight. The 9 lumen setting is useful, but ONLY having one other output level that drains the battery so quickly is just plain inexplicably STUPID. There shouldn't even BE a setting that high, on such a tiny flashlight. Is NOBODY even doing market research? It sure seem like this is NOT the case. They COULD just read candlepowerforums.com for FREE, and get an idea of HOW people use a very small flashlight.

A tiny flashlight is NOT going to be used for search and rescue. It will ALWAYS be used for short to just longer than short distances. Finding your keys. Digging in your car trunk. Perhaps reading. It SHOULD have a minimum of three levels: 1-2 lumens, 9-15 lumens, and the maximum of no more than 30 - 50 lumens, so it has decent battery life. I would design it for 2 lumens, 10 lumens, and 40 lumens. Because I actually USE flashlights. Every. Damn. Day.

For the first time in over 30 years, I had to change a flat tire, last summer. First I had to empty the trunk to get at the jack and the spare tire. I have a lot of stuff in the trunk of my car. The tool provided with the car would NOT turn the jack, to lift the front of the car. I had to dig through the tools I had on hand, and I wound up using a large vise grips. A quarter turn at a time. It took over an hour to change that flat tire. If all I had was this mini flashlight, I would have been SOL. Nine lumens just wouldn't have been enough light.

But, if ALL I HAD was a Nitecore Tube, I would have had enough light, and enough run time. I bought TWO of them off Ebay for $14, including shipping. Yes. $7 each. Delivered. I can't see HOW the guy made any money at all, but I did VERY well.

Last point but not least, the Mini-1 SHOULD be offered in aluminum, for two reasons: it could be sold for less money, increasing total sales. AND, it would weigh less. If you keep a flashlight on a key chain, you want it to be as light as possible. I can't count the number of times I've read about people who have had to pay as much as $600 to get their ignition lock and switch replaced, because their key chain was just too heavy. I bought a single AAA stainless steel Fenix flashlight to put on my key chain. It's just WAY too heavy. I had to buy another AAA light made of aluminum.

So, in conclusion: All of you flashaholics thinking of buying a Niteye Mini-1. JUST. DON'T. DO. IT.

Do yourself a favor: buy a Nitecore Tube. THEY have engineers that understand how to build a small flashlight. No. It won't light up things at much of a distance. It's designed for mainly close up use. But, at maximum output, it lights up my entire back yard, which is PLENTY of light for me. And it costs ONE THIRD the price of a Mini-1. It has infinitely adjustable output.

My ONLY complaint about the Nitecore Tube, AND the Niteye Mini-1, is that they don't come with a charging cable. Niteye makes this very clear, to their credit. Nitecore does NOT. A charging cable would literally cost an extra 25 CENTS, or LESS, to include with both flashlights. When I got my Nitecore Tube(s) I didn't have a charging cable. As I wanted a charging cable quickly, and NOT in a MONTH shipped from China, it cost me as much as the Nitecore Tube. I still have a bad taste in my mouth over the FACT that Nitecore doesn't state clearly in their advertizing, that the charging cable does NOT come with the light. They should be honest and up front about this.

You're welcome.

Maybe this light wasn't designed to be the best bang for the buck or the most useful light ever. This light is cool and it is what it is. If you don't like it let it be. If you bought this expecting long runtime why did you buy it? Don't you read CPF....? If you are a true flashaholic you'd enjoy the Mini-1 for what it is. Ever bought a sports car?? Not practical... Just cool. Hope you find a use for it. I'm enjoying mine.

liteboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
^^+1.....

It's a flashaholics cool toy, also quite useful and well designed imho with protected usb charging port inside the head, unlike other designs that use rubber cover or extra charging head. The usb chargeability makes it a little more practical but still would never be my only light. This one is the 3rd or 4th light is have on my person. And as for usb cables...glad they didn't include it! Literally have 30 of these all over the house, save the environment!

Oh, and I paid more than you to get the Vihn boosted version, haha. We don't have too much money, we just have our priorities right haha.

Last edited:

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I just got one of these, too. REPLACED a Nitecore Tube on the keyring. Bought the Factor Ghost version of it and needed another for my other keyring and decided to jump when Batteryjunction.com offered a 20% discount.

This is not a fair comparison to the Nitecore Tube. It's just not. YMMV. And no one would purchase this light (my opinion) as their 'only' light. It's my backup - it rides on a key ring 'just in case.'

And it's worth $25-30 just for how rugged it is. I agree with liteboy and Whitty!

Sheesh.

Last edited:

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe this light wasn't designed to be the best bang for the buck or the most useful light ever. This light is cool and it is what it is. If you don't like it let it be. If you bought this expecting long runtime why did you buy it? Don't you read CPF....? If you are a true flashaholic you'd enjoy the Mini-1 for what it is. Ever bought a sports car?? Not practical... Just cool. Hope you find a use for it. I'm enjoying mine.

I don't think he actually bought a Niteye Mini-1. When you need light in a pinch it comes in very handy. I use mine quite often and as a result recharge it often.

Atactical

Newly Enlightened
WOO, this is very tiny. I remember there is one like bullet :twothumbsand it is also super small.
C:\Users\Steven\AppData\Roaming\Tencent\Users\103937497\QQ\WinTemp\RichOle\V]9QA75R3DQB5FBK8P9I~FH.png

awoodby

Newly Enlightened
I have normal sized 18650 and AA lights, still find this tiny thing handy for when I'm going out and don't want a larger, even AAA, light. I attach it to a beltloop, it's pretty inconspicuous and still helpful in an emergency. I like that it actually produces light, not just a week led glow.