CMG Sonic-G vs. CMG Ultra-G What do you think?

adimag

Newly Enlightened
I had been looking at the Ultra-G's for a little while now when I came across the Sonic-G'g that Countycomm.com has for sale and was wondering what your opinions were on the lights. Other than run times and the cells that they use, how do the compare? After seeing the Sonic-G, I am kind of leaning towards getting it, but would like to hear from anyone who has a Sonic or Sonic-G.

Andrew

JerryM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: CMG Sonic-G vs. CMG Ultra-G What do you think

I have both the Ultra G and the Sonic G.
For keychain or to get the smallest the Sonic G is the hands down winner.
But I have bought six lately, and two have been bad and had to be replaced. CMG and Countycomm are replacing them, but it is a pain to go to send them back.

Ihave also bought 4 Ultras and all are first rate. I think the QC is much better in that production line.

If I did not want to put it on a keychain I would prefer the Ultra G.
If you get a good Sonic it is a good light, and smaller. It is really a choice of size.
The light output is not any different from a user standpoint, although the Ultra beam is a little broader in the ones I have compared.

I tried a lithium in the Ultra, but it was no better to my eyes than an alkaline.

Hope this is some help.

Jerry

paulr

Flashaholic

Ultra-G is a great light. Arc AA is a nicer cosmetically and has the useful tailstand feature, but costs over 2x as much. Functionally they are pretty close to one another.

Sonic-G is an inferior substitute for the Arc AAA. The differences are substantial enough that it's worth paying more for the Arc.

RussH

Enlightened

I don't have an arc AAA, but I think I'll get one the next time I want a keychain light. I have both an ultra-G and a sonic. The ultra-g is fine but a little large for the pocket. The sonic is EDC on my keyring but I find that I have to clean it about once a week to keep it working. There is only a small area at the end of the body/inside the base that makes contact to turn it on. It apparently tarnishes (not visibly) and doesn't make good contact. It's easy to clean & I will try some sort of anti-ox on it one of these days....... -RussH

SockMan

Newly Enlightened

Basically, it's down to what you want: longer battery life or smaller size.

If you want a AAA light, then an Arc AAA would be much better than the Sonic (enough to justify the additional cost). A AAA light makes a great keychain light.

AA lights, like the Ultra-G have about double the battery life of AAA lights, but are also larger. Another good thing about AA lights is that they can use lithium AA batteries now (since they are available in stores now). Lithium AAA batteries won't be out for a while.

Personally, I would go with the Ultra-G. It is bulky, but I think it still works very well as a keychain light IMO. However, whether a AA light is too big for your keychain is up to you.

Of course, you could solve this problem by buying them both! (I'm pretty sure someone would suggest this sooner or later, so it might as well be me!)

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast

The Sonic/G is ok as a keychain light. However what i didn't really like was the switch. It turns really easily, too easily in fact, and doesn't quite feel as solid. The HA scratches off quite easily as well, I hear. But for the price its good enough to get the job done. I personally like the Ultra G, as its built like a tank and feels really solid, but thats definitely too big for a keychain carry. Hope you find the right light soon! (Buy em both, you'll find a use for it somehow!) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

RadarGreg

Enlightened

I've got both, and prefer to carry the smaller Sonic G as an EDC. The light output seems about the same for both (untrained eye) and the Sonic is small enough to carry in the small blue jeans pocket on the right side of your pants. I don't have an Arc AAA to compare it to, but am satisfied with the quality of the light output. It does seem a bit on the bluish side, but I think this is normal for this light. County Comm had a nice CPF-only sale running so I bought both of them last month.

The Ultra G is also a nice light, but I don't think I want it in my pocket for an EDC. Put it on a ring and it would be very handy on a backpack, jacket, or field equipment. It might be a bit too heavy for a keychain light for your car though. Overall, both are nice lights and could be a welcome addition to your home.

LED-FX

Enlightened

I`ve carried an Ultra G in my pocket for bit over 6 moths, the finsih rubs slightly at the tail end on edges but other than that it is fine, and I use mine to open beer bottles.

The switch mech and overall reliability are excellent, a lot lot better than the 2 AAA Mag I used to carry that needed rebuilt every time wanted to use it.

Adam

adimag

Newly Enlightened

Thanks everyone!! I got a little dissapointed when the CC arc deal that I, among everyone else, was waiting for went to free with puchase instead of $15.00. Saw that the Sonic-G was the same price, so I thought I would ask. I'm think I've decided to go with the Arc AAA and just pay the regular price. As we all know, the wife just won't understand and I thought if I could show her that I saved $10.00, she would go easier on me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/whoopin.gifwhen the box arrived. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

paulr

Flashaholic

You could consider the UKE 2AAA eLED which is $10.00 from CC. It's about the same volume as the Ultra-G (slightly different shape) and weighs noticably less because of its plastic body. In some ways it works better on a keychain because the lanyard hole is up near the front, letting you easily point it in the same direction as your keys. It also comes with a hat clip which is a little bit kludgy, but is nice in that you can also clip it to the outside of your pants pocket or watch pocket for handsfree walking. I think I might make a lightweight headband for mine.