2xAA battery option for ARC4+?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martyn1

Newly Enlightened
Subject line says it all. Will there be, or is there a 2xAA battery pack option for the ARC4+? From the looks of it, the old LSH 2xAA pack wont fit, will there be a new verion?

Thanks,
Martyn.

Radagast

Enlightened
The old AA packs won't fit the arc4. Peter said it's possible he'll make some but he's reluctant to. Arc doesn't end up making enough profit to justify it. In the chat last Sat he didn't give a definite no just a most likely no.

Personally I have the aa pack for my lsl and used it for a while but went back to the 123. Lithium batteries aren't all that expensive anymore and it's such a smaller package. What are the advantages to AA's? Are you trying to compensate for something? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Martyn1

Newly Enlightened
Battery compatability with other kit - it's a major consideration and a major reason I would swap out my surefire LS4 for an ARC L4. I've been holding off getting an LSH-P with AA battery pack, in the hope that the new Arc4+ will have that option. I like to use AA's wherever possible when outdoors. For EDC, 123a's are fine. It would be nice to have the flexibilty. I hope ARC make one.

ArcAA + AA headlamp + Arc4+ with AA battery pack would be a perfect field solution for me (not forgetting AA powered cellphone, AA powered shortwave radio etc... - you get the idea /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif ).

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would like to see the option available. I use rechargeable AA all the time for my LSH-P. I can understand the profit issue that Peter is concerned about but still can't help but wonder how many more Arc4 would be sold if the option were there. Maybe a pole would help Peter make a final decision on making the option available. Of course another point is with the different brightness level feature battery life may not be as big of an issue to some people who would consider the option.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Lebkuecher said:
I would like to see the option available. I use rechargeable AA all the time for my LSH-P. I can understand the profit issue that Peter is concerned about but still can't help but wonder how many more Arc4 would be sold if the option were there. Maybe a pole would help Peter make a final decision on making the option available. Of course another point is with the different brightness level feature battery life may not be as big of an issue to some people who would consider the option.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the issue. Peter did a poll of the 2xAA packs as an ARC-LS option, people committed to purchasing them, he made them and not many who committed purchased one.

KDC

Newly Enlightened
I'll put in another vote FOR the AA pack. I EDC a LSH-P with
the AA back running NiMH rechargables. It is much easier to
handle, and fits in a leather mini-mag holster too. I also
have a LSHF-P in the ARC belt pack, but this is harder to get
out for use. But it delivers very good light. It will get
replaced by the ARC4+ when my turn on the order list comes.
From handling my two LSH lights, I know that I would much prefer
the AA pack for the ARC4+, and buy it if available.

Mark_van_Gorkom

Enlightened
If Peter won't make any, perhaps some CPFer will step into the breach? Just a short extension to fit between the 2x123 pack and its tailcap shouldn't be all that difficult to fabricate?

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Or how about another way of solving your problem...change everything else to CR123 powered items. These little powerhouses pack a mighty punch for their size and weight.

SockMan

Newly Enlightened
Whether Arc develops a 2AA battery option for the Arc4 is up to them; I will support them whatever they decide. However, I am someone that find the 2AA battery option very useful, so I would like to see it as an option, whether the solution is from Arc or not.

For me, the reason for having 2AA light is so that I can have a choice. Most of my lights use AA batteries, so I know that if I can't use a 123, then I could use a AA. Or that I could use the light with a cheaper battery type. I don't know about you, but I still think that 123 batteries are relatively expensive.

If I play with my light (which I like to do a lot), then I would like to do it using 2 AA batteries. It kinda takes the enjoyment out of playing with flashlights when you have to worry about battery life and how much replacing these batteries will cost.

Mattman

Enlightened
Sockman, my mindset is pretty much like yours. It takes away some of the enjoyment of using a light if you're worrying about using your batteries up all the time. I'm far from a tree hugger, but I'd still like to keep from throwing more batteries than I have to into landfills when I have another option available. I like being able to use whatever battery pack fits my needs on any given day.

Don't get me wrong here, I'm not signing up to upgrade my LSH-P to an Arc4 if Peter decides to make the 2AA pack, because I'm still not willing to spend $180 on a flashlight. I got my LSH-P for $125 new and that was only possible after rational thought left my head. I need a lottery win, a good sale or a used model to get me to upgrade because I'm pretty happy with my LS just as it is.

There's no reason that the 2AA pack needs to be a losing proposition. A poll to test for interest is fine, but the real way to do it is to make as many as you need. If you need to make and sell X battery tubes at Y dollars to make a profit, open a pre-order and tell everyone that they won't be made until the requirements are met. Then you get enough orders, manufacture 'em, bill 'em, ship 'em and you're done - if people don't put their money where their mouth is, then no 2AA pack for you! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

kaseri

Enlightened
Why not just have people prepay for the 2AA packs and when enough orders are placed make a run.

stockwiz

Enlightened
For me the AA pack is a must have. It's the reason I initially turned to Arc over Surefire. I carry some cr123 batteries in storage because of shelf life and cold weather usability, but almost exclusively use the rechargable nimh AA's for daily use and right now don't have a single flashlight that relies exclusively upon 123 batteries. I guess it's a matter of personal preferance. Big flashlights with big heatsinks and big brightness win me over before small flashlights that take 2 or 3 of the 123's and only last 40-50 minutes will win me over. The AA pack for my Arc LS also serves for added heat transfer since I used a current modified version.

Don't start making AA packs just because of me, though, because I probably won't be buying an Arc4. For the price, I need something brighter like some of Mr Bulk's mods or of course the mod I ended up buying, TheFire's Arc LS mods. Not saying the flashlight isn't impressive, just saying I have different flashlight needs. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

paulr

Flashaholic
I think most folks who spend $180 on a flashlight aren't going to care what batteries cost. The wish to not throw away so many dead cells, and also to share batteries between other AA devices, are a bit more compelling for the Arc 4. A preorder plan sounds like a reasonable way to handle making sure there's enough demand.

Extension sleeves sound like another approach. Given the success of the UBH, E2C, and similar adapters made in limited runs by modders, these things don't have to have high startup costs. If I can ever afford an Arc4, I could see wanting a 1.5x123 tube (i.e. 50mm), for use with an 18500 li ion cell. That would be noticably more EDCable than a 2x123 tube, I think. If it had charging contacts on the outside, that would be even better.

Martyn1

Newly Enlightened
Well, fortunately for us in the UK, the current exchange rate means that $180 USD = about £0.83p /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

OK, maybe a bit more than that, but I'll be poaying less for an Arc4+ than I did for my surefire LS4. That makes it more attractive. But battery availability is also an issue, if you're traveling to parts where 123a's are not exactly common (which is almost evrywhere that doesnt have a shopping mall), then AA's are the powerhouse of choice. Nothing is more widely available. The fact that I can also get lithiums and rechargeables in that form-factor too, ...and swap em around as circumstances dictate, makes it a no brainer for battery choice.

Martyn1

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
kakster said:
Or how about another way of solving your problem...change everything else to CR123 powered items. These little powerhouses pack a mighty punch for their size and weight.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi kakster (small world /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif ), it's not a preference for one over the other, but the phenominal availability of AA's that drives my choices.

MichiganMan

Enlightened
I care what batteries cost, but I also really wanted an Arc4. I'm one of the lucky few that has recieved mine and after enjoying the light for a few days, I haven't a HINT of buyers remorse. This light rocks. Yes, I'd prefer to have a AA tube available, but the cost issue is mitigated by the facts that just about anyone can spring $20 for a whole mess of Surefire 123's, and the variable brightness ability (something I'm finding even more useful than I thought I would) means your batteries will last much longer than they did in your LSx.

LightScene

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
kakster said:

[/ QUOTE ]
Some of us already have rechargeable AA's and would prefer to stick with them. It's just common sense.

The 2AA pack is easier to carry and handle than the 123 pack.

The 123 pack is more convenient for pants pocket carry. Otherwise, it is undesirable.

Chris_Dallas

Newly Enlightened
Here's yet another vote for the AA pack.

Although I am buying the Arc4 regardless I would LOVE to see that option since I own over 40 AA rechargeables.

Cheers
Chris

red_robby

Enlightened
peter should have a look at his records, I'm sure he sold
a pretty good number of the 2AA pack for his LS line.
the arc4 could really use that accessory!

Status
Not open for further replies.