What happened to my nitecore flash light?

ok555

Newly Enlightened
Yes the batteries looks fine. I rarely put anything or access the boot and it's always clean. Certainly no wet clothes lying around.

scout24

Flashaholic
I'm thinking of moving this thread and your pics to the Nitecore section of the manufacturer subforum so perhaps you can get their opinions or feedback on your light, particularly since you ask about warranty issues in your OP. You'll have a link here for a few days to be able to find it if you have difficulty. :)

Last edited:
Honestly, it l@@ks like a cat urinated on it. The neighbor's cat came over and did his business on the aluminum cooling fins of our air conditioning unit. It produced the same results as I see on your Nitecore.

~ Chance

nbp

Flashaholic
Seems like it was sitting in something corrosive. Something that ate through the anodizing has to be pretty strong.

Phlogiston

Enlightened
My guess is that this is the result of thermal cycling over time.

In a car, the temperature rises and falls with the weather conditions. When it cools down at night, the flashlight will lag the surrounding air and therefore remain warmer than the surrounding environment. When things warm up the next day, the light will lag the surrounding air and remain cooler than the surrounding environment. Unless the temperature stays constant for a while and the light gets a chance to come into thermal equilibrium, the light will always lag its surroundings.

The problem comes when you open your boot lid while the light is colder than the air outside, because then you get condensation on the light from the warm air. If it's heavy enough, it'll trickle down the light onto the carpet in your car boot, which then becomes a reservoir to keep the lowest part of the light damp.

It wouldn't be a problem if the anodising was perfect, because there wouldn't be any exposed metal to corrode. Unfortunately, the slightest defect in the anodising gives corrosion a place to start, so it can work sideways under the adjacent anodising and expand.

I've never had it happen to a flashlight of mine, but I've seen it happen to aluminium items I was keeping in my garage. I don't keep canned drinks in the garage anymore... the eventual leaks were impressively messy.

To protect an emergency light during long term storage in the car, I'd suggest putting it in a freezer bag, squeezing as much air out as possible and closing the bag up. Same goes for spare cells. If you have some desiccant sachets to hand, chuck one or two of those in for good measure.

I've never actually kept a light in a car, because I always have lights on my person, so I rely on those instead.

ok555

Newly Enlightened
I have contacted Nitecore and obtained an RMA. They too suspected battery at first but I informed them the batteries are fine.
Thank you all for helping.

teacher

Newly Enlightened
Strange...... It looks like oxidation or galvanic corrosion with the aluminum turning into or being covered by a white powdery substance. ????? Be sure to keep us updated, this has peeked my curiosity. Good luck. :)

markr6

Flashaholic
Wow that's pretty severe!

Ballooning switch. Crooked bezel. High parasitic drain. Now this? Poor Nitecore :( But I haven't given up on you yet!

ok555

Newly Enlightened
Update:
Well I got my torch back, but nothing has been done to it. I contacted them again, after ignoring my emails for a month they finally told me product appearance is not covered under warranty. Even though I believe this affects the usability of the product (the grip, can't hold it without bits and pieces sticking to my hand). Don't even know why they allowed a RMA in the first place then as I clearly explained and showed them images of the problem. What a waste of time and shipping costs, deeply disappointed.

cheey85

Newly Enlightened
Update:
Well I got my torch back, but nothing has been done to it. I contacted them again, after ignoring my emails for a month they finally told me product appearance is not covered under warranty. Even though I believe this affects the usability of the product (the grip, can't hold it without bits and pieces sticking to my hand). Don't even know why they allowed a RMA in the first place then as I clearly explained and showed them images of the problem. What a waste of time and shipping costs, deeply disappointed.

I am having some issues on my MT1A strobe mode. I sent e-mail to them and no reply. Their warranty is useless not going to buy nitecore again.

NitecoreStore

Enlightened
Update:

Sorry to hear about that. Did you contact the factory and send the light to China, or did you contact one of their US dealers for this warranty service?
Is the light still functioning with the cap? Send us an email at [email protected] and we will take care of the problem for you.

NitecoreStore

Enlightened
I am having some issues on my MT1A strobe mode. I sent e-mail to them and no reply. Their warranty is useless not going to buy nitecore again.

Cheey85. Can you describe the issue with the MT1A? Have you tried to contact the vendor where you purchased the light from? Usually the vendor should be the first one who can assist you.
Since it is not practical for you to send this light oversea for warranty service, we can take care of the problem if needed.

teacher

Newly Enlightened
Hello, I went into the back of my car to check my flash light after a pretty long time and I saw this:
http://tinypic.com/r/hrddo2/9
http://tinypic.com/r/332rsib/9

It looks like it's eating the metal away?
What's happening to my flashlight :confused:
Is it covered under warranty?

Thank you.
Just a couple of quick questions......
1. How long before you "went into the back of my car to check my flash light"?
2. What was the 'environment' of the back of your car?? [Wet, dry, chemicals of some type spilled???? Be specific, this did not just happen.... something had to cause it. It mystifies me, let's see if we can figure it out. :) ]

Phlogiston

Enlightened
Further to my previous speculations, one possibility is road salt. Salt is kryptonite for aluminium.

If you have boots, a snow shovel or other winter emergency gear in your car boot, salt might be transferred into your boot from the road after you've been using the equipment. You might even have an actual bag of salt or salted grit in there; many people do.

Over successive winters, that could build up in the carpeting material, all ready to corrode metal objects at the slightest hint of dampness.

stjong

Newly Enlightened
it looks like cause by the acid liquid, something like oven cleaner liquid or similar.