Variable Beam

Seekermeister

Newly Enlightened
I've become accustomed to the beam width focus of Mag-Lites, But the don't have the lumens or small size of some other options, like the Nitecore and some other brands do. I'm looking for a light for both a specific and general purpose usage. First to attach to a bike as a headlight, and also as a light for easy carriage for any other purpose. The problem is that all of the small lights I've found have a fixed beam width, but there are so many choices, I'm hoping that there is one that I don't feel is a compromise. Can anyone suggest a good alternative?

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
search for "led lenser" and You get a good number of threads,
where You can read all the pros and cons of that kind of lights ...
... and then decide what is best for You

PS: imho there is a reason, why most lights - especially the better and best ones - feature fixed beams: rugged, focuses more part of the light from the light source into the main beam (read: brighter), less parts to go :poof: (= rugged)

there is ONE point where such a light is "better".
a zoomable consists of the main beam only, no spill whatsoever.
And that is "good" for the special application: using a light in traffic --> less chance of blinding someone
(but, to be honest: if some driver is blinded by a pocket light, ... :rolleyes:)

Still the fixed focus is superior
for me
;)

Seekermeister

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the information. I appreciate your perspective, but what makes it difficult to apply to my decision is that all of the lights I have checked out so far, only provide the lumens/candle power and throw, but do not provide beam width. Therefore it is impossible to determine if any particular light will illuminate a sufficient area at any particular distance.

Borad

Enlightened
There's another long thread where almost everyone agrees that floody lights are more practical. Some have a real use for a spot though. Floody seems mandatory, and if you want to be ready for every situation, you either need another flashlight or a focusable beam. Another flashlight is the least economical and convenient of the options.

Spots with spill could blind you if you use it to hike a decent distance.

Seekermeister

Newly Enlightened
I doubt there is a solution that will fit all circumstances, regardless of the number of lights involved, but I do already have a focus-able light, a 3 D cell Mag-Lite. It is useless as a headlight for a bike....but makes a good club. :)

Taz80

Enlightened
Fenix makes the FD40 which is a good variable focus light and its small enough to fit in a jacket pocket. It has a very nice flood beam and a good throw beam. The middle focus beams are a little ringey but it works.

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome!

Check out LensLight.

I think you'll be impressed. The highest quality focussing light available to my knowledge.

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
running_onstand.jpg

Have you seen the Brinyte B158? It is a budget zoomie that seems to be pretty well built. It got good reviews from two CPF members, one by mhanlen, and the other by hanspvik. The reviews concur that max output is only 650-700 lumens, but both the flood and throw are nice beams. The B158 uses a 50mm aspheric lens, so it is no surprise that it has a nice beam. It's IPX8 rating attests to its quality. So does the attachment point it has for a gun mount. Brinyte sells an optional bicycle mount for the light, as well.

Here is what I wrote in another thread.

The Brinyte B158 is a zoomie with a 50mm aspheric lens. Two testers report getting 650-700 lumens, which is a bit below the 900 lumens claimed by its manufacturer. Maker Brinyte advertises IPX-8, something CPF member hanspvik tested by leaving his in the bathtub for 30 minutes. Another CPF member, mhanlen, gave his a good dunking as well. Waterproof zoomies are a rarity, so that tells you something about the quality. Mhanlen also tossed his B158 around pretty good in testing you can see on YouTube.

A consensus is forming that this may be the best budget zoomie out there, dethroning the UniqueFire UF-T20, which first shipped in 2012.

The B158 uses screw-in modules (i.e., pills) that can be easily swapped. The B158 comes with a one that features a cool-white Cree XM-L2 U2 emitter. Brinyte offers a couple of optional colored ones that come in red and green. One of the things that makes the B158 attractive is that it is easy to mod.

Mhanlen has put together a group buy over at BLF for the B158 and its optional modules. A bare brass module is also being offered, so that you can install an emitter and driver of your choice to create a custom module. Flashlight with cool-white emitter is $22.99. Bare brass module is $6.59. Tracking number and insurance, respectively, add $1.99 and $1.59. My total was $33.16. The group buy went live today, 2015-Dec-01.

Twelve days after my order was placed, GearBest finally shipped today. Woo hoo! GearBest was waiting for the shipment from Brinyte. Typical slowness from GearBest, but I don't let it bother me.

Last edited:

Seekermeister

Newly Enlightened
Welcome!

Check out LensLight.

I think you'll be impressed. The highest quality focussing light available to my knowledge.

You"re right, I was impressed...by their prices. Maybe the lights have something going for them that justifies their prices (other than style), but I'll have to get over my sticker shock, before looking deeper.

Seekermeister

Newly Enlightened
Have you seen the Brinyte B158? It is a budget zoomie that seems to be pretty well built. It got good reviews from two CPF members, one by mhanlen, and the other by hanspvik. The reviews concur that max output is only 650-700 lumens, but both the flood and throw are nice beams. The B158 uses a 50mm aspheric lens, so it is no surprise that it has a nice beam. It's IPX8 rating attests to its quality. So does the attachment point it has for a gun mount. Brinyte sells an optional bicycle mount for the light, as well.

Here is what I wrote in another thread.

Twelve days after my order was placed, GearBest finally shipped today. Woo hoo! GearBest was waiting for the shipment from Brinyte. Typical slowness from GearBest, but I don't let it bother me.

These lights have the opposite sticker shock effect on me. It's not that I don't like a low price, it just leaves me wondering why? Something that does catch my attention, is their gun.handlebar mounting system. But I'm not sure if I would like it, because the photos didn't make it clear if any of their mounts are designed for fast mount/unmounting. I would'lt want to have to "|screw" around with a bolt to get it on or off everytime I went somewhere on the bike.

BarryG

Enlightened
Welcome to CPF!
Look at the Sipik SK68/SK98
Vinh also has modded versions of both for sale.

Barry

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only variable beam / zoomie / focusing lights that I've used recently are the Coast HP5 and HX5, which are both single AA lights. I like the beam profile in both zoom and flood, but it's not very good in between those maximums.

They're both larger than I like for pocket EDC. They're both a bit cooler in tint and have lower CRI than I like - comparing to Zebralight SC52W.

The HX5 has a two way clip that allows clipping to hat brim, if needed.

They both operate fine on NiMh rechargeable or alkaline batteries. I haven't tried the 14500 batteries, which they also accept.

I prefer the two power options of the HP5, but it has no clip, so I've been carrying the HX5.