Olight S2 - compared with S1?

DansGunBlog

Newly Enlightened
Hi there!

Does anyone have both the S1 and the S2?

Curious how it compares, and how you like the new S2.

I'm aware of the "memory" feature that was discussed [at great length] in the other thread, but that's not what I'm referring to. My S1 has that same interface and frankly it's never been an issue. I use it multiple times every day and it works great for my needs. :)

I love the S1 and considering the S2 so curious how it compares in practice, from someone who has both.

Thanks!
Dan

chumley

Enlightened
I have the S1 and S2. The S2 is almost exactly the same as the S1, except it has a turbo level at 950 lumens. The beam is the same. just brighter on the 2 top levels. I prefer the S2 when using gloves because it's easier to hold onto. The S1 is amazing for how small it is. I like them both.

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Chumley nailed it - they're basically the same light with the exception of the battery difference. Need more output or longer runtimes? Buy the S2. Need smaller size? Buy the S1. Can't go wrong with either.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
fun with numbers:

S1 46 grams with battery
S2 82 grams with batteries (78% heavier)

S1 2.4" long
S2 4.06" long (70% longer)

S1 6 hour runtime on medium of 80 lumens with CR123
S2 12 hour runtime on medium of 80 lumens with two CR123 (double the runtime, double the battery use)

The S1 with 3x CR123 packed together, weighs less and runs 50% longer than the S2 with 2x CR123 :)

Last edited:

KCL Knives

Newly Enlightened
In my opinion the biggest advantage of the S2 is that it can use 18650 batteries. With these batteries the cost of use goes down and the run time and brightness take a considerable bump up.

Wet

Newly Enlightened
In my opinion the biggest advantage of the S2 is that it can use 18650 batteries. With these batteries the cost of use goes down and the run time and brightness take a considerable bump up.
Exactly. If you only use rechargeables, 18650 has like 4 times the capacity of a 16340, and both batteries cost the same!