Surefire Outdoorsman flashlights

pdeethardt

Newly Enlightened
I was browsing the Surefire website the other day and I noticed the Outdoorsman lights are no longer showing up in the product list. Anyone know if these lights have been discontinued or are getting a refresh?

Just curious.

bigfoot

Enlightened
Just noticed this, too. I sure hope they aren't discontinuing the series -- they make great SHTF lights with their long regulated runtimes. Although... it would be really nice to see a full transition of the lineup to AA or AAA cells (save for the E2L AA that already exists). Especially with the intended audience, and how most outdoors gear is already powered by AA or AAA cells, *not* CR123A cells. An E1L that runs on a single AA cell would be sweet! One can dream, right? :D

Gratuitous Outdoorsman photo below...

8869665901_be0968857d_z.jpg

https://flic.kr/p/evMmEa

Last edited:

Prepped

Enlightened
This would be a shame if they are discontinuing the line. My E1L I got back in 2011 is still rocking.

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess I should go ahead, bite the bullet, and replace my E1L that was stolen while I still can.

scout24

Flashaholic
I have an E1L, an E2L AA, and one of only a few E1L AA's around. :) Bought from Donn not long after I started here, it pretty much replicates the E2L's output on a single AA cell. Eneloop, Enegizer Lithium, alkaline all run fine. It has 2-level circuitry in the clicky tailcap, with twist on and click to change levels. I wish I could find the original listing... Just missing the E2L 2x123. The Outdoorsman series are great lights, sad to see them go.

EDIT- Cliff's version. CPF member BigBoy made some of these heads circa early 2008, with RV7 drivers. Approx. 130 OTF lumens. Still hangs with some of the current stuff today. Sweet SF TIR throwy beam, and the two level tailcap gives a fantastic low. STILL wish I could find Donn's sales thread. :( Spent an hour plus looking...

EDIT MkII- Found it! :) All I did was replace the E2L body with the E2O body shown above. FWIW, it works as a single stage high output light with a regular clicky or twisty tailcap...

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?301933-*SOLD*-The-Original-E2L-AA!

IMG_0379.jpg

IMG_0380.jpg

Last edited:

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Niiiiiiiiice. And once again, I'm reminded why I don't need to be a regular on this board. Rent? Flashlights, man! Flashlights! :D

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have for years been hoping for a E1L 1xAA from SF. Has not happen yet. I still hope one day.

I used to too. I remember ever time I or anybody for that matter brought such a beast up, the "Surefire purists" would get in a tizzy at the notion of Surefire using anything but lithiums. Wonder how those people feel now about AAA weaponlights and keychain lights lol.

marinemaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
The AAA format is definitely a good sign. I did not expect it from SF. More from like Streamlight. My Titan is the best keyring light yet I ever used.
And to keep to this thread my E2L lights get the most use of all my lights.

28gauge

Newly Enlightened
I have 2 of the original E1L's with the KX1 head - 3 lms/48 hrs; 45 lms/8.5 hrs. One is as new never used. I like the original lower lumens version. The 45 lumens is pretty bright with that head and it burns long enough to use it for a night hike. The one problem with the original version is the one way head up clip for use on the brim of a hat. I can switch that out I suppose. I'm thinking of doing a Malcoff head as well to have a higher lumens option. This light really grew on me over time.

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a E2LAA and a E2L. Both are brighter than spec and have served me well. Good output with longer runtimes. Runtime is good enough, I don't even bother with rechargeables in these lights. The only thing I changed on mine was to swap out the long bezel down clips for short bezel up clips. The newer outdoorsman lights have been updated with new designs, led's, and outputs.

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought a L1 that had been modded to take an AA, very nice, definitely one of my keepers.

I have a modded Gen. 5 L1 that is supposedly the only version that can be modded to take a 17500, which is about the length of an AA cell, right?

nfetterly, with the mod done, will your L1 still run on CR123a/16340 cells, or is it only good for AA cells now?

And yes, I wish Surefire made a 1xAA E1L.

Wireman

Newly Enlightened
So does anyone know for sure what happened to the E2L? Did Surefire get rid of the model line or just preparing for something new?

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a modded Gen. 5 L1 that is supposedly the only version that can be modded to take a 17500, which is about the length of an AA cell, right?

nfetterly, with the mod done, will your L1 still run on CR123a/16340 cells, or is it only good for AA cells now?

And yes, I wish Surefire made a 1xAA E1L.

Yep 17500 is 17mm in diameter, 50mm long Cylindrical (the last 0)
A 14500 is thesame size as an AA, 14mm diameter, 50 mm in length.

The head is slightly modded on the inside for the longer length of the AA - a CR123 / 16340 is 34mm in length. I run it on an Energizer Lithium AA (not a 14500), a 16340 won't fit - and the voltage may be too high, I'd have to go back and reread the mod work.

free2game

Newly Enlightened
Bumping this one up - anybody see anything on the outdoorsman line from surefire at shot?
Not seen anything. My guess is though they'll put out something new in AA. With them gearing a lot more things to consumer markets lately with firearms accessories and the like it makes a lot of sense to put out some new AA light. Maybe a 2AA 6p/G2 style light or something else.

Latest posts