LED Lenser M1 Alternative Suggestions Please

Witterings

Enlightened
I bought an LED Lenser T 7.2 recently which is a great piece of kit, I also bought a cheap Cree Q5 which is small and brilliant but no where near the quality of the Lenser 7.
I really fancy something that comes closer to the T7.2 but is really small and easily pocket-able like the cree and came across the M1 which on paper ticks all the boxes and zooms which is a must for me ............. before I click buy now, I'm relatively green with torches, does anyone have any other suggestions that are as small / powerful that I should compare it before pressing the buy now button :)

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The Coast HP1 is single mode, tail stands, uses 1 aa and is $10 in the US.

LED Lenser wants waaaaaaaay too much for what you get. For same money you can get a Klarus P1c (123 battery) with a twist head hi/lo with way more output. Or a P1a(aa battery) with same output as that overpriced M1.

Unless you want strobe the HP1 is the better deal.

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
T7.2 is a nice light , going away from zoom types I would look at a happy medium with spill/throw in the shape of a Fenix pd35. 18650 fed so far higher output, several modes as a posed to a high/low . Nice size and build and well priced . Of course is new to 18650 cells then a little reading up on the safety side. Cells around $15 ish for 2, Xtar charger for similar cost and good to go.
On the left

Witterings

Enlightened
Cheers for the suggestions, have gone with the HP 1 as it ticked all the boxes in terms of size i was after and zoomable and managed to find it at a reasonable price, hopefully Mr postman can find his way with it here soon :)

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both the LED Lenser M1 and Coast HP1.

Coast HP1:
1. great grip. Feels good in hand.
2. Excellent construction for a $10 light.
3. Extremely wide even flood with no rings. Flood beam is much wider than M1.
4. Tailstands
5. Modding difficulty: Moderate. I modded one of mine. Definitely not beginner level difficulty, but not too bad.
6. Single mode.
7. Not very throwy in spot mode. The HP1 uses an LED Lenser style TIR optic. Those optics typically consist of 2 elements: A central aspheric lens, surrounded by a TIR reflector. In most such lights, both elements have the same focal point giving a tight spot in spot mode. However, in the HP1, the designers chose different focal points for each element. In spot mode, only the side TIR element is on the focal point. The result is spot mode gives a tight spot, surrounded by a noticeable spill. Because the center portion of the lens isn't in focus, throw is much less than it could have been. However, this extra sidespill can be useful... it's similar to the beam pattern of a typical reflector light.
8. CREE XPE emitter mounted in a tiny copper star on a post.

LED Lenser M1:
1. Better throw
2. Has modes (100%-50%-strobe)
3. Relatively fast PWM
4. My sample is an older model with a CREE XRE reflector. This gives a fairly narrow flood beam surrounded by ugly rings. New M1s might use a more modern emitter that solves this problem however.
5. Modding difficulty: hard. The XRE emitter is glued or soldered directly to the aluminum post on the pill. There is no star. The driver is a rectangular thing stuffed sideways into the neck of the light and then fully potted with some kind of glue.
6. Does not tailstand.
7. Protruding forward clicky button might turn on accidentally in the pocket.
8. Smaller and more pocketable than the HP1

Witterings

Enlightened
I have both the LED Lenser M1 and Coast HP1.

Coast HP1:
1. great grip. Feels good in hand.
2. Excellent construction for a $10 light.
3. Extremely wide even flood with no rings. Flood beam is much wider than M1.
4. Tailstands
5. Modding difficulty: Moderate. I modded one of mine. Definitely not beginner level difficulty, but not too bad.
6. Single mode.
7. Not very throwy in spot mode. The HP1 uses an LED Lenser style TIR optic. Those optics typically consist of 2 elements: A central aspheric lens, surrounded by a TIR reflector. In most such lights, both elements have the same focal point giving a tight spot in spot mode. However, in the HP1, the designers chose different focal points for each element. In spot mode, only the side TIR element is on the focal point. The result is spot mode gives a tight spot, surrounded by a noticeable spill. Because the center portion of the lens isn't in focus, throw is much less than it could have been. However, this extra sidespill can be useful... it's similar to the beam pattern of a typical reflector light.
8. CREE XPE emitter mounted in a tiny copper star on a post.

LED Lenser M1:
1. Better throw
2. Has modes (100%-50%-strobe)
3. Relatively fast PWM
4. My sample is an older model with a CREE XRE reflector. This gives a fairly narrow flood beam surrounded by ugly rings. New M1s might use a more modern emitter that solves this problem however.
5. Modding difficulty: hard. The XRE emitter is glued or soldered directly to the aluminum post on the pill. There is no star. The driver is a rectangular thing stuffed sideways into the neck of the light and then fully potted with some kind of glue.
6. Does not tailstand.
7. Protruding forward clicky button might turn on accidentally in the pocket.
8. Smaller and more pocketable than the HP1

That's an extremely useful comparison so thank you for that, I ordered the HP1 today because at £10 delivered if it's not right for the purpose you want then it's not a great loss and will always find another use for it whether it's the Mrs car of give it to my boy to keep in car or one I pack in my away bag so never forget whether away or camping.

The comparisons that favoured the M1 are the reasons why I wanted to buy that as opposed to the HP1 BUT (and you may have noticed that's a BIG but) if you can't use rechargeable batteries with the M1 and that's a complete show stopper as far as I was concerned for the uses I wanted it for.

A shame as the biggest thing I really wanted was the tighter focus but if it's just going to cost me a fortune in batteries that was a deciding point, I spoke with one of the large UK online retailers before ordering and they mentioned that LED lenser had actually told them it's not compatible with RCR 123a 3.0v as they don't have the muscle needed and the 16340's will kill it.

A shame, if it had better battery choices it would be unbelievably hard to find anything that came close with such power in such a compact size and with the option to focus and would have blown any competition miles away!!!!

Seriously though, thank you for such a good comparison and I'll watch that torch and see if any other battery options become available as it becomes upgraded, it'd open up another market to them if they did and with a higher voltage battery could potentially increase power further still making it even more attractive.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rechargeable batteries works just fine in the M1... just be advised that once you do, the light will probably from then on ONLY work with rechargeables.

Witterings

Enlightened
I had actually sent an e-mail to their customer support copy below

Hi,

I wonder if you can help, I was looking at the M1 torch which comes with a CR 123a 3.0v battery, can I use a 16340 – 3.7v rechargeable with the torch as an alternative or will it damage it??

And this is the reply I've had this morning from them

Neville,

There is no reason a rechargeable battery cannot be used in the M1 torch. The battery will obviously have to be recharged outside of the torch.

I'll see how I get on with the HD1 but I think I may well be ordering the M1 as that's the torch I really wanted, it was only the reservation about the batteries that was putting me off!!

Witterings

Enlightened
Fireclaw18,
Knowing what you know now and having owned both, if you had the HP1 would you still think it's worth buying the M1 as well or would you consider you were just doubling up on something you already have???

Actually same question from a slightly different angle, if you had to give one away, which would be the keeper?

Last edited:

Hoodzy

Newly Enlightened
T7.2 is a nice light , going away from zoom types I would look at a happy medium with spill/throw in the shape of a Fenix pd35. 18650 fed so far higher output, several modes as a posed to a high/low . Nice size and build and well priced . Of course is new to 18650 cells then a little reading up on the safety side. Cells around $15 ish for 2, Xtar charger for similar cost and good to go.
On the left
?
Hey man what mods do you have on that ec32 ? i have that light too :)

ven

Flashaholic
Hi here , it has a current bump and de-dome xpg2 neutral . It's actually a very nice light , really nice throwy beam and quite rare iirc, vinh sent it me a while back :)

ven

Flashaholic
I wanted a grey one :laughing:

Its quite a nice light, not quite pd35 build but certainly good value:)

Hoodzy

Newly Enlightened
Yea i prefered the grey one with the black button it looked sick!!
acebeam_ec32.jpg

ven

Flashaholic
Yes!! i like it

Or send to vinh for a nice quad xpl in your tint of choice.......and bump!

2x 5000k xpl and 2x 6500k xpl(pd35vn version)

Great edc light if you dont mind the little extra sized edc. All flood with reasonable throw due to output. Never quite knew the lumen on this, its over 1400 and bellow 2000 i think...........

Would be great in an ec32 imho

Standard pd35(love it) pd35vnQ and ec32vn de-dome xpg2