Trek-7 & scuba?

Luff

Enlightened
I suspect this one's a stretch, but does anyone here have any experience using the Trek-7 (white) as a scuba dive light? It's certainly rated to go deeper than I am!

Is it sufficient as a primary, or only as a backup?

I'd think LED's color temp would be excellent underwater and should compensate some for its diffused beam, but wonder if the Trek-7 pumps out enough light to penetrate the 10-15 feet in good viz that I'd want.

Random

Brock

Flashaholic
If you do make sure it has both "O" rings in the head. I have taken mine to 40 feet without a problem. It is a much softer beam than any of my other dive lights. It is great for up close viewing, and makes most colors stand out compared to the more yellow of my other dive lights. It sort of makes things floress a bit.

Brock

Luff

Enlightened
Thanks Brock. It sounds like an excellent backup and close-in light. I bet the slight florescense is nice.

Random

Doug

Enlightened
I just like to point out, that when you buy the light from C.Crane, ask for the 2nd O-ring, as it does not normally come with it. When I got my Expedition (in translucent yellow ... easier to find), it had the one O-ring, so I wrote them, and asked about the depth rating, they replied and said that a 2nd O-ring was necessary, and that one had been placed in the mail for me! Cool! Good service! Sure enough, I received it, but haven't installed it yet.... For a $59 light, it is probably the cheapest dive light around (at least for the 900ft. depth rating!).

Doug

Doug

Enlightened
You Are Welcome
smile.gif
!

Doug

D

**DONOTDELETE**

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Doug:
for a $59 light, it is probably the cheapest dive light around (at least for the 900ft. depth rating!).

Doug
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you want a cheap dive light, try the Pelican SabreLite, available at Home Depot for around $24. It uses 3 Cells, and has a very bright,concentrated beam. I've had mine to about 100 feet. The single o-ring, which is fairly snug, seems to do just fine. It has a lanyard and a handy spring-loaded clip. The bulbs are integral with the reflector, so are expensive to replace. It compares favorably with a similar dive light for around $100. I'm waiting for mine to burn out so I can covert it to LED use. Meanwhile, it is a powerful light for underwater or terrestrial spotting use.
Chet

Luff

Enlightened
Chet:

Thanks for the heads up on the Pelican Saberlight ... it sounds like a great light. I will go take a look at it ... the price is certainly right.

I have a decent dive light that I share with my son. Since we don't do caves and rarely do night dives (well ... Oklahoma isn't well known for its dive locations), we both really don't NEED lights, but a backup would be nice (and hey, any excuse to buy another flashlight is welcome).

The thing I dislike about every dive light I've used or seen is that incredible hot spot ... it really screws up video images (throws off white balance and overloads the CCD).

I'm hoping the Trek-7, being more diffuse & a truer 'white', won't seriously impact video AND will make a good backup for those times when my boy has the other light and I want to look under that coral head to see what beast might be lurking there.

Random

<FONT COLOR="#000000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by Random on 01-24-2001 at 07:15 AM</font>

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I doubt the Trek will really be of any real use for underwater video- it just doesn't put out enough light. But it probably would do just fine as an auxiliary light, when your eyes are night acclimated and if you hold it close to the viewed object. Hey, give it a try. For useful video light, you need at least one 20w halogen, and preferably two to minimize shadows. There's lots of do it yourself info on building your own at http://insel.heim.at/malediven/350052/english.htm
A lot of the technology is a little dated, but many useful tips and links.
chet