Olight M3X Triton, XM-L, 700 lumen Flashlight Battery Question

jackofalltrades4all

Newly Enlightened
Hi, a brand new member of candlepowerforums and my very first post.

I just bought a new Olight M3X Triton XM-L 700 lumen flashlight for a great price.

I have a battery question. What kinda of 18650 does this take? I tried to put in 2 protected button top 18650 (around 69.5mm each) and I cannot close the end cap!

Is this suppose to take a flat top? If so, would flat tops make contact when installed in series? If you have the old M3X, I would greatly appreciate it to know what type of batteries you are using. The instruction manual doesn't really specify the type.

Thank you!

chumley

Enlightened
Welcome to CPF, the only thing I can think of is to make sure that there isn't anything in the tube like those moisture absorbing packets. I've had new lights that I couldn't fit the end cap because of obstructions.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
unscrew the tube at the head end about halfway off, insert your cells and the end cap should be easy to screw on then screw head end of tube back down.

jackofalltrades4all

Newly Enlightened
unscrew the tube at the head end about halfway off, insert your cells and the end cap should be easy to screw on then screw head end of tube back down.

I actually tried this but the bottom of the battery indented and the light wouldn't come on. Strange....

There is nothing obstructing the batteries. 4 132's fit fine though. Any other thoughts or recommendations woukd be appreciated.

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still have my Olight M3X Triton XM-L T6, 700 Lumens. I did mod it with an XM-L2 U4 for more throw, output and runtime. Now 920 Lumens and 90k Lux. I use Eagletac 18650 3400 mAh cells with no problems.

However my ET 18650 3500mAh cells do not work, as they are too long.

Last edited:

swan

Banned
18650,s have been growing since i started buying them. The problem is the new age protected 3400/3500 cells are long and will not fit in some lights that are a couple years old because the available cells were physically shorter/thinner when your light was made.

I have a couple of lights with the same problem, for example, my early model xml Sunwayman t40cs does not like the Panasonic ncr 18650 b 3400 protected, which are too long at almost 70mm that wont allow the switch to be fully tightened with out damage, but my older protected 18650 fit and work well that are 67mm in length.
With some of my early single cell Jetbeam lights a panasonic protected wont even fit because its too fat.

I would look around for lower capacity cells which seem to be shorter, i have some old Jetbeam 2300mah cells that are the shortest/thinnest protected i have at 67mm or shop around or check in the battery forum for the shortest [bt] protected cells you can get. If your happy/comfortable using unprotected in series you can buy a couple of naked button tops panasonic 3400 which are listed as 67mm.

All the flat top high drain cells i own can not be used in series as the positive flat top is to low to make contact.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
wow the XM-L Triton is indeed from the day and age where 2600mah 18650's were considered cutting edge. True, most modern high capacity 18650's are actually 68-70mm long let alone fatter as well. Highly advise taking this issue over to the electronics section of the forum where there are endless reviews of just about any 18650 made including physical measurements. The older 3400mah Eagletac cells are noted to be shorter than the rest of the protected 3400mah cells. Nothing wrong with 4 CR123's as long as you can but up with shorter run times and having to buy a good supply of them. Most sites that sell 18650's also list physical measurements of the cells. I am going to guesstimate that the XM-L Triton can take at the longest 67mm cells. Back in the Tritons heyday that is about roughly as long as protected 2600mah cells got.

jackofalltrades4all

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for all the advise!

I am slowly building my collection of lights. Right now focused on Olights, from the SR96 to the S1 and thought this M3X would fit nicely on the cheap. I guess I'll just use 4-16340 for the time being until I can get a protected 18650 that is less than 67mm.