Thrunite TiS stainless steel

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just received the stainless steel 3 mode version of the Thrunite Ti and unfortunately the threads are really bad. There is play in the head even when it's completely tightened down and the light will switch modes when the head wobbles. I'm going to send it back but I'm not sure if I will just exchange it for another steel version or go with another aluminum model. Any owners with the steel version have similar issues or are your lights solid? Just want to make sure it's not a known issue and I just got a dud. Thanks all.

ven

Flashaholic
I am sorry to hear, i have had a Tis now for a good while of heavy use, from the off the threads have been quite smooth for stainless and no play. I would give it another chance and send back. Its held up to abuse with other keys and metal objects..............apart from hair line scratches it would pass as new!!! Imo one of the best AAA lights for the money:)

ven

Flashaholic
Just a thought(if it would make much difference) is there an O ring present? this can effect the head feel if missing or even too thin.

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the reply Ven! Good to know that yours are free of play and in good condition still. Yes mine has the o-ring installed and I just checked again and it has heavy play all the way until screwed down completely tight. I will give it one more shot with this steel version. The threads on my aluminum versions are some of the best I've experienced on a aaa flashlight.
Just a thought(if it would make much difference) is there an O ring present? this can effect the head feel if missing or even too thin.

ven

Flashaholic
I actually prefer it to my fenix e05 ss, tad lighter, prefer the actual design for comfort too. How does the alloy head fit or visa versa, see if you can narrow it down to the body or head. Thrunite may send out a replacement or better still just send another light out!

Good luck:)

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Edit: just tried the head of my aluminum version on the ss body and it's definitely the body that has the faulty threads. I got it through amazon so Im going to return it. I bought it for 19.99 and now the price has jumped to 27 unfortunately for the NW version in steel.
I actually prefer it to my fenix e05 ss, tad lighter, prefer the actual design for comfort too. How does the alloy head fit or visa versa, see if you can narrow it down to the body or head. Thrunite may send out a replacement or better still just send another light out!

Good luck:)

Last edited:

magellan

Honorary Aussie
Sorry to hear about that. I have two TiS and one Ti model and the threads are fine. If anything a little tight, not loose at all.

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Magellan. I'm definitely going to get a replacement. Messaged the seller so we will see what happens.

Brett H

Newly Enlightened
sold through Thrunitedirect and fulfilled by amazon

I bought the same light from the same seller about a month ago and it works very well; like magellan's my threads are on the tighter side. Amazon is very good at standing behind products when they sell or fulfill the order. Unfortunately, it appears there is a different seller now selling the NW TiS right now. If you don't mind exchanging yours for the CW, I am sure they will take care of you. Many times they don't even want the defective product back, depending on the original price. I hope everything works out for you.

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yea Amazon customer service is the absolute best in my experience. Thrunite responded and said that since Amazon refunded me they can't give me another light at that price AND that light is out of stock and no longer being produced. :thumbsdow Oh well, I will try my luck with this other seller I suppose. The Ti3 has fast become one of my favorite and most used lights and I would really like to have a good copy in steel.
I bought the same light from the same seller about a month ago and it works very well; like magellan's my threads are on the tighter side. Amazon is very good at standing behind products when they sell or fulfill the order. Unfortunately, it appears there is a different seller now selling the NW TiS right now. If you don't mind exchanging yours for the CW, I am sure they will take care of you. Many times they don't even want the defective product back, depending on the original price. I hope everything works out for you.

Brett H

Newly Enlightened
Yea Amazon customer service is the absolute best in my experience. Thrunite responded and said that since Amazon refunded me they can't give me another light at that price AND that light is out of stock and no longer being produced. :thumbsdow Oh well, I will try my luck with this other seller I suppose. The Ti3 has fast become one of my favorite and most used lights and I would really like to have a good copy in steel.

Try Illumn, they have it for a little cheaper than Amazon and they have great service! They sometimes even have some coupon codes. If you do buy from the Amazon seller, you may want to inquire as to the condition of the light from this seller. The reason I say this is because I just bought a Thrunite T10S from this seller though his eBay store of the same name, and the clicky switch is much looser than any of my other Thrunite T10's. It may not be the fault of the seller and it may just be the metal boot which is used on the T10's but I thought this is something you might want to know.

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Man...I have a Ti3 SS waiting for me for Christmas...I hope its ok...arrg..I just want to rip it open and check...

onthebeam

Enlightened
Just received the stainless steel 3 mode version of the Thrunite Ti and unfortunately the threads are really bad. There is play in the head even when it's completely tightened down and the light will switch modes when the head wobbles. I'm going to send it back but I'm not sure if I will just exchange it for another steel version or go with another aluminum model. Any owners with the steel version have similar issues or are your lights solid? Just want to make sure it's not a known issue and I just got a dud. Thanks all.

I had the same issue. Same vendor. Returned it.

ven

Flashaholic
ok so here is the new one i just got. Am I nuts or should this not happen????IMG_3049 by Six Pound Cat, on Flickr

Most twisties will do that if the head is almost making contact, you can actually use it for an instant beam(think forward clicky but rear pushy :laughing: )

Undo head a tad more and try, i can press on any twisty and make it come on providing its almost on!! Its the slight movement in the threads, pressing or at an angle causes contact which is the start of the modes when tightened............probably does not make sense as hard to explain :laughing:

Yeh i think your nuts too:nana:

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ha! Yea I use my E01 as a rear pushy. Just didn't expect this much play because my aluminum version has great threads with no play. Oh well. I will just enjoy it for what it is and yes unscrewing it more seems to be the key. My New Years resolution will be to try to be LESS nutty with my flashlights. :) QUOTE=ven;4805261]Most twisties will do that if the head is almost making contact, you can actually use it for an instant beam(think forward clicky but rear pushy :laughing: )

Undo head a tad more and try, i can press on any twisty and make it come on providing its almost on!! Its the slight movement in the threads, pressing or at an angle causes contact which is the start of the modes when tightened............probably does not make sense as hard to explain :laughing:

Yeh i think your nuts too:nana:[/QUOTE]

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have no issues with my TiS. Its a great little light with eye opening (..or squinting lol) high mode.

ven is correct. If you have the head at the point where it is almost activating the light on a twist, if you put pressure to force contact it will. Simply turning the head even 1/8 turn eliminates this, yet still within 1/4 turn of being on or off.

That being said the threads on this little guy are really nice and tight. Construction is solid and of great quality. I have modified the key chain assembly that came with it so that I just have the TiS connected to the key ring loop which is attached to crab claw attachment. I have the pocket clip on it as well so I can use it in any configuration at any time, whether on a set of keys, clipped to a pocket or hat while in use, and/or simply wear it with some paracord around my neck. A great tiny light that is small enough to EDC and be almost unseen.

Last edited: