Fenix PD35 Tac 1000 lumin

Milw light

Newly Enlightened
Hi, New member & hope I'm posting correctly, this is a large site. I have a Fenix PD35 Tac 1000 lumin light that I use on my bicycle. After about 5 minutes it steps down on either outdoor or tac setting. With 40 degree weather & absolutly no heat in the head judging from hand touch, I'm wondering why it does this? I would like to use all 1000 lumins most of the time so hopefully something can be done. BTW, I do restart the light to turbo when it shuts down but doesn't seem to come back quite as bright. Is this light defective. Thanks

Enlightened
Hi, New member & hope I'm posting correctly, this is a large site. I have a Fenix PD35 Tac 1000 lumin light that I use on my bicycle. After about 5 minutes it steps down on either outdoor or tac setting. With 40 degree weather & absolutly no heat in the head judging from hand touch, I'm wondering why it does this? I would like to use all 1000 lumins most of the time so hopefully something can be done. BTW, I do restart the light to turbo when it shuts down but doesn't seem to come back quite as bright. Is this light defective. Thanks
It's a timed stepdown. Diminishing brightness could be due to lower battery voltage. A lot of these single cell 1000 lumen rockets will only be able to maintain the highest setting for the first few moments while the battery voltage is high. If you need 1000 lumens all the time, consider getting a two cell light. I believe Fenix has a two cell bicycle light that can do this.

ven

Flashaholic
Hi there , to sustain 1000lm in a small 18650 is pretty hard if not impossible . Usually the step down is not too noticeable and allows long run times. (Sounds like a timed step down rather than thermal)After a few mins of use it is difficult to sustain full output due to cell V sag. IMHO 1000lm is over kill for most bike uses , certainly if for road use(off road then fair enough) . Other options would be dedicated bike lights like the bc30 . Around the 200-400lm mode should be adequate for longer uses and safer for oncoming traffic if aimed low. Just imo

:welcome:

ven

Flashaholic
Also what battery is being used, this could be a factor too, try the 3500mah 10a LG or Sanyo cells.

Milw light

Newly Enlightened
It's a timed stepdown. Diminishing brightness could be due to lower battery voltage. A lot of these single cell 1000 lumen rockets will only be able to maintain the highest setting for the first few moments while the battery voltage is high. If you need 1000 lumens all the time, consider getting a two cell light. I believe Fenix has a two cell bicycle light that can do this.
Thanks, it sure seemed to be timed.

Milw light

Newly Enlightened
Hi there , to sustain 1000lm in a small 18650 is pretty hard if not impossible . Usually the step down is not too noticeable and allows long run times. (Sounds like a timed step down rather than thermal)After a few mins of use it is difficult to sustain full output due to cell V sag. IMHO 1000lm is over kill for most bike uses , certainly if for road use(off road then fair enough) . Other options would be dedicated bike lights like the bc30 . Around the 200-400lm mode should be adequate for longer uses and safer for oncoming traffic if aimed low. Just imo

:welcome:
Thanks for the welcome! I'm using 3400mah Panasonic NCR18650B. This has quite a step down & as was mentioned earlier it is timed. I'm 65 & don't have the finest eyesight so the more lumins the better. What I will probably do is buy a much more powerfull flood type light & turn it down so its consistant. If I win the lottery its a Lupine Wilma.

ven

Flashaholic
Maybe look at the Fenix pd40 with the mtg2(26650 cell) , or the tk35ue(2x18650) Both should run around 1000lm give /take due to more mass .Just thoughts :)

Milw light

Newly Enlightened
Maybe look at the Fenix pd40 with the mtg2(26650 cell) , or the tk35ue(2x18650) Both should run around 1000lm give /take due to more mass .Just thoughts :)
Thanks Ven, I'll check these out. I am going to start another thread on recomendations for power, beam width, batteries etc.

ven

Flashaholic
No probs, the mtg2 led makes a good choice of led in 5000k neutral, great rendition and lots of flood with reasonable throw.............

Milw light

Newly Enlightened
No probs, the mtg2 led makes a good choice of led in 5000k neutral, great rendition and lots of flood with reasonable throw.............
Ven, I like nice bright white light of the kind that comes out of the late PD35Tac would this be more around 6000K ? I am very interested in the G2 though as some of the beamshots I saw from the Niwalker BK-FA02 seemed to be just what I need. What is the color difference between 5000 & 6000K ? I like the flood bias of the G2 also, thanks.

ven

Flashaholic
The 5000k is still a white light, just a neutral and imo better for general use. Better rendition and would be my choice over 6000k. Try it, you probably wont buy another 6000k light!

I like my cool lights but not really past 5700k.

Will try and dig a pic out of the mtg2 tint!

edit- this is the mm15vn which has 2x mtg2 leds in shallow reflectors so FLOOD and more FLOOD

Of course in a tk35 or alike with a deeper reflector, the throw will be improved:)

Last edited:

Milw light

Newly Enlightened
That MM15VN is real nice. Any idea what happened to the BK-FA02? Going Gear really didn't know. I really liked the rotary switch. The MM15 will probably be my next light though.

ven

Flashaholic
The pic does not do it justice tbh, it's around 7300 OTF lumens of 5000k flood.

Similar in style is the tn36 be it in MKR or XHP70 flavours....another great light . Lots of flood but also packs a reasonable punch in the distance.

Milw light

Newly Enlightened
When the MM15 steps down is that all the way to 2000 lumins? Is strobe at the full 5000 lumins? This light seems to be what I need & I'm not too dissapointed the BK-FA02 is no longer available. I've seen some tube MM15 beamshots also & this has me savin for a new light. Thanks

ven

Flashaholic
The mm15vn will only run in turbo for a few minutes dependent on ambient temp , it gets hot quick!!! However the high mode of around 2000/2200lm is good to go for longer durations and more than adequate for most applications . If mounted on a bike with better air cooling then it will only help efficiency .

Enlightened
ON a bicycle? Hope it's not out on public roads because I hate that guy.

ven

Flashaholic
ON a bicycle? Hope it's not out on public roads because I hate that guy.

Post #3 had my thoughts covered on this :)

My personal opinion for road use would be to use dedicated bike lights, be it the bc20/bc30 or alike which does not throw a round beam . A diffused lens designed to spread a low flood imo is the safest way on roads..........

Milw light

Newly Enlightened
I may eventually need to get a Lupine Wilma, I was hoping to find something cheaper. The Wilma is 3200 lumins. I do not Ride On The Street except to cross it & I use strobe when I do. I have tried to be polite & put my hand over the light, all that got me was ....almost run over. I have tried a diffused lens on a 1200 lumin Bright eyes & it doesn't work for me. Most drivers here are great people, others will hit the gas to try to run you over. I'm doing what I can to be polite & not wind up as road kill.

Milw light

Newly Enlightened
The mm15vn will only run in turbo for a few minutes dependent on ambient temp , it gets hot quick!!! However the high mode of around 2000/2200lm is good to go for longer durations and more than adequate for most applications . If mounted on a bike with better air cooling then it will only help efficiency .
That sure sounds like it will do the trick, a stock light should have enough power?

ven

Flashaholic
It's a substantial light for handle bars though, but yes off road the beam would be spot on!

Yes stock is around 5100lm and at that kind of output 2000lm more is just a little bump to the eye:)