Simple 1AA with side button

Dimt

Newly Enlightened
I was working at my 84 year old mothers house the other day and needed extra light and she brought me an ancient 2 D cell flashlight with a horrible dead spot in the middle of the beam. I want to get her a decent LED flashlight. The problem is that she is very resistant to change. When I come over she usually has some item she has tried to install batteries into; TV remote, battery powered clock etc. When the item requires two batteries (or more) she is rarely able to install the batteries correctly. So I would like to get her a flashlight that only uses one AA battery so I can tell her if it does not work just reverse the battery, I think she can handle that. I also think she would have trouble with a tail switch so what she needs is a side button. Any suggestions of a simple 1AA side button light, preferably that only has one output a simple on & off?

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
The problem with a side switch light is since they have parasitic drain an alkaline battery will leak over time and damage the light. If you get one with a side switch you would want to use NIMH batteries in it and have her a pack of AA for backup.

I cant think of any side switch AA flashlight with only 1 mode. I know of a few with tailcap clickers that have one mode, my favorite being a Romisen RC-G2. They can be bought for about $15, have smooth threads and no parasitic drain so an AA battery would work well. It won't be super bright, probably about 70-80 lumens. You can buy her several at that price and have them in different locations for her.

Tusk

Newly Enlightened
You're over thinking this. Get her a wall mounted rechargeable flashlight and check it every time you go over there. Let her mount it where she won't forget about it. The Blackout buddy is cheap enough to get her a couple.

http://www.etoncorp.com/en/productdisplay/blackout-buddy-0

I think Streamlight and Pelican both make more traditional looking lights if you want to go that route.

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
On this same vein as Tusk, we have the Energizer® Weatheready® Rechargeable LED Flashlight for a few years now, we use it all the time and it still works great, very simple to use.[h=1][/h]