Surefire G2X LE

arKmm

Enlightened
Hello, I've had a search but can't find a thread specifically for the newer LE variant, and can't see an answer to this question so I've started a new thread.

Does anyone know what CREE chip this torch uses? It's 400 lumen rather than the 320 lumen of the standard G2X

TheVat26

Enlightened
I have one and it's an XP-L. Very floody beam. It's one of the best room lighters I've ever seen, maybe edging the Malkoff M61.
I think Surefire did really well with this as target illumination up to 50 yards is incredible; better than a P1R in my opinion as the beam profile on the P1R is a bit more biased for throw than the LE which is spill.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like G2x Pro, the low mode comes on first and offers incredible runtime. With the high being pretty bright also.

arKmm

Enlightened
The XPL isn't a chip I've heard of before. Is it a newer one?

I've just taken delivery of mine. Currently running it on 123s but awaiting the delivery of a 16650 to take over.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 16650 is nice, you lose a few lumens but the rest are 'guilt-free lumens'. Actually pretty hard to tell the output of 123s vs Li-Ion.

arKmm

Enlightened
G2X confirmed robust! Pulled it out and accidentally lobbed it pretty hard onto the stone floor in an alley. With the exception of a small scratch on the bezel, it's perfectly fine.

Confirmed tonight that the light definitely isn't a 'thrower' though as it's mostly flood. Then again, that's what I need most of the time and I have a big mag for throw instead when I require it.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
G2x Pro on high mode throws a bit more than Malkoff M61, FWIW. I would say it's a decent short-range thrower. Everything within 25 meters is a wall of light. Now if you want 50 or 100m thrower, this isn't it.

arKmm

Enlightened
Just taken delivery of a Keeppower 16650 2500mAh, will get it charged up and tested on the coming shifts.

arKmm

Enlightened
On a different note, if it is the XPL in this as earlier suggested, why are Surefire only driving it to 400 lumens? In other torches running the same batteries (i.e Fenix PD35 Tac on 2x 123s) it's driven to 1000 lumens (or near enough).

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
shorter runtime

lower lumens

hotter module, hotter batteries, overheating. Not sure if the G2x has a heat sink. The light itself feels like a featherweight, suggesting it does not.