Is there something I don't know about?

Tre_Asay

Enlightened
Battery life:: 3000 circles
I wonder what super battery they have in that, It looks like it could hold near enough battery though, maybe 18 18650 batteries so a max of around 60k mAh.
We are both looking at that "68,800mAh portable power pack" right?
I am not a battery expert but I don't see why it would have to be super exaggerated.

OldNick

Newly Enlightened
Yeah but I can't see this using 3400-3500 mAH cells, which arre pretty high end stuff! Also the claimed battery weight is 470gm. I have 18650s that weigh 45 gm each and are 2500 mAH. The Panasonic NCR18650B weighs 45gm also and _is_ 3400 mAH. But 18 * 45 =....850-ish gm, so nearly twice this one.I reckon the capacity is about as reliable as the 3000 ....circles.

Tre_Asay

Enlightened
I wouldn't be surprised if it was more like 16k mAh or less though, no way to tell what is really in there unless someone takes it appart.

OldNick

Newly Enlightened
Yeah that's about what I figured. That is a pretty gross exaggeration.

What triggered my seeing this was an ad on TV showing a similar thing being used to start a car with a "flat battery". I guess you_may_ get away with it if the car started in about 1 second flat, but IMO there is a reason car battery lines are sohuge. I can even understand it charging a car battery enough to just kick the motor over, again with a reasonbly good battery and easy statring engine.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
With the advent of fuel injection replacing carburation and the next generation of engine controllers that started in the mid '90s, unless the engine is in terrible shape it usually only takes a couple of seconds to start an engine, even in cold weather. I think diesels could be an issue because of the drain from the glow plugs in cold weather, but gasoline engines don't take much to start. Usually, three or four revolutions is enough to get enough cylinders firing to keep the engine going on its own.

OldNick

Newly Enlightened
I agree entirely. I am amazed at how fast even my 16 yo Hyundai Lantra starts...probably within a second...no...easily. I have a workshop charger that can get a car started witgh 5 miinutes' charge of a "flat"battery....just a few AH. It is still an issue though. Also if the battery is more than _just_ too flat to turn over the engine....

Then there really is the issue of current to start an engine. It would be easy to blow a circuit that could not carry 300-400A for 1 second.

Actually what made me laugh was that with a "flat battery" they started the car with the battery still connected; sitting there draining whatever the little dingus had available. What I am saying is that these units are borderline and claim stuff that is borderline at best.

And I still reckon the capacity would be a LOT less than claimed. As with the circles. :)