Charlie's VIP light or the Arc4+?

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Charlie\'s VIP light or the Arc4+?

If you haven't seen it, this is Charlie's light.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB14&Number=448540&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1&vc=1

If only buying one, which one would it be and why? I think I've made up my mind but am interested in hearing people's opinions. Now I know the CPF motto is to "buy both" but at the better part of two hundred dollars per, it ain't gonna happen for this guy. This in all likelihood will be the only $50 plus flashlight I will buy this year.

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Charlie\'s VIP light or the Arc4+?

Very good question indeed. I have both on order. I will of course only keep one. Not sure which one yet. This should be an interesting thread to hear peoples opinions as to the pros and cons of each of these lights.

raggie33

*the raggedier*

there both good in my opion.that would be a tough choice but if i had the money id still be confused.i only own a charlie creation and i must say it still amazes me

Mark_Larson

Enlightened

If i had to choose between the two, i'd get the VIP.

- Brighter at its max.
- Upgradeable.
- New concept (King's Crown)
- How many brightness levels do you really need?

Both are too large for EDC, so i'm not letting that sway my decision. Both come with clips though.

kaseri

Enlightened

I would have to say the ARC4 has a slight advantage due to being able to select your level of brightness in primary and secondary modes.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast

Although I have neither, it seems that each has its advantages. Of course the best answer would be to have both, but if I had to choose, I'd get one of Charlie's lights. Who knows how long they'll be available.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Quote from the VIP page....

"MEDIUM output – 576,000 mcd. A this brightness the VIP competes with some already very bright Luxeon lights such as my own LGI as well as many other lights that are running at their full power. For more info you can look up various other mcd readings at Craig Johnson's LED Museum site. Tested runtime was approximately two hours before falling out of regulation and gradually dimming down. The VIP will not suddenly drop you into a dim moon mode, something you will indeed appreciate when hiking out in the woods at night."

I'm guessing this is probably a level 2 or 3 brightness of the Arc4+. Is it safe to say (never owned one) that the Luxeon III used on this light provides greater efficiency (more lumens/watt) then the high dome on the Arc 4? On the otherhand, the description of gradually dimming, makes me wonder how much it is regulated at this level. I'm thinking of posts I've read about putting a KL4 on an E1 body. The Arc 4 seems strongly regulated at all levels.

They are both great lights, huh.

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've got a VIP on order and have decided (for now) to pass on the Arc 4+.

I figure the VIP will be much shorter lived and not as available as the Arc 4+.

While I love my LSL (and have a LSH-P coming), I'd rather spend the $$$ on a light that I KNOW will be white & bright courtesy of Mr. Bulk instead of spending some premium cashola on a light that might be white but might be purple/violet as well.
Now, I know the Arc 4+ has a tint control feature that is supposed to help in the color of the beam, but still, you have to consider the luxeon lottery.

Anyway, that's my reasoning. I'm not saying it isn't fallable, but, that's what I'm doing. Plus, I'm hoping the Arc 4+ will appear on B/S/T for those who decided against it and offer it at a better price /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

javafool

Enlightened

I really have enough 1 watt lights. I am interested in the 3 watt VIP and possibly the Superlight that is on the way. Then wait for the reviews when the Arc5 arrives so I will have lights to find my other lights with if it ever gets dark.

Just what I need is more lights. When I die my kids will have to sell flashlights to get their inheritance:)

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast

I vote for Charlies VIP, though I do have an Arc4+ on back order. On a lark I preordered the Surefire U2 at TAD Gear.

One of these days I WILL own an variable output LED light.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic

I think I like the VIP better at the moment. The simplicity of the selector switch plus the luxIII are the main selling points. I don't care for software controlled on/off switches, though using software to control the light level and tint is pretty good.

I really like my LSH-P a lot. It does 95% of everything I need. I doubt that he VIP will replace it as my EDC. At some point I will buy the ARC4 and probably the ARC5 too.

My kids love my hobies. They get hand-me-down computers and other high tech toys.

Daniel

Geode

Enlightened

Tough choice, but scarcity, simplicity, Luxeon III, brightness,and Charlie's reputation made me decide to get on the VIP waiting list.

Arc4 is probably in my future too.

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast

I would like to have both. If I had to pick one that would be rough. ARC has been in the business of design, engineering and manufacturing tool grade very high quality lights for a while. Mr bulk has specialized in reengineering many comerical grade flashlights for some time now. Not quite the same thing is it?
The edge here has to go with ARC.

I feel that the ARC lights will continue to be made for some time. The VIP I am sure will be some what limited in production, and of a different quality.

Interms of the 1 watt vs 3 watt thing IMHO the one watt LED is DEAD. I say why even bother designing new expensive lights around them. The LUX III is where it is at for the moment.
I will get the VIP first.
Then when the next gen (lux III) ARC comes out I will get that (if I want one at the time).

The real issues here are getting power to the led and taking HEAT away. This is where our focus should be when talking about new lights and having them made.
I really want a ARC LS sized 5 watter with some sort of perfect reflector that puts out a beam like the Space Needle II in the size of an arc. That stays cool.
I would give up brightness for runtime any time. Batteries are cheap.
Yaesumofo

FlashlightOCD

Enlightened

Just being objective the ARC will probably have a better guarantee, that might be an important consideration if this is the last light you plan on buying for a while.

Having said that I'll admit I do have a VIP on order, but do not have interest in the Arc4+ [maybe the Arc5].

LongFei

Newly Enlightened

I'd say do what I do, buy both and find which you like more, then resell the other at a slight loss (consider it like "renting" the other light).

These things aren't unpopular at all, both would likely sell very quickly for very minimal loss.

I am going with the VIP myself since I want a custom light. Its modular nature and the tail guard are options I like. I like the Arc a lot too in design and stuff, but I have enough Arcs (for the time being). I may pick it up later, but I like the thought of having a broader range of makers and stuff for my very small collection.

If the VIP turns out to be something that doesn't totally suit me, I might resell it. The same goes for any light of mine. If at that time I decide I want the Arc 4+ or something else, I could always get it later.

The biggest downside to the VIP right now is that we don't know when we'll have it in our hands.

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
LongFei said:

The biggest downside to the VIP right now is that we don't know when we'll have it in our hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

We knew about the ARCL4 for a lot longer than it will take for us to get our Vip's.
Yaesumofo

Rothrandir

Flashaholic

arc:
warantee
more modes
more levels
more robust switch
more robust design
smaller
reflector
more durable

vip:
brighter
tailswitch guard (this might eventually come with arcs)
more focal options

each has some key points.
i just feel that the arc4 is a far better overall design.

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast

Fei, I agree on your points. Buy both and keep the one that you find suitable for you.
Personally, I prefer the arc4 because it is so kewl /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif and I think it¡¦s switch is more robust and will be able to better hold up in the long run than the Vip dual switch mode, but that is just MHO. Also, for me, it would be a little awkward if I have to change my hand position to turn the light between its different settings and then change again to turn it on and off. Again, this is just MHO and please take it with a grain of salt ƒº

stockwiz

Enlightened

VIP because of limited availability and brighter overall light output. I'm not a big fan of Arc sticking to one watt luxeons in their premium lights.. I think they should be sticking those luxeons in their AAA and AA lights and putting a TWAK luxeon 3 into their premium lights and driving them harder. I suppose they don't do that to protect themselves against lights overheating though.