What light did you receive as a gift this Christmas?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Well Santa said I was naughty. So I bought myself a PK.

I retored "you come sliding down my chimney at 2am with reign deer poop all in your beard wearing a red suit I'll show you naughty."

Don't know if he was joking or skeered of the PK....
But he left me this...

Streamlight Nano, Nebo SLYDE, an LED inkpen, a couple of cool knives and a Stinger LED.

MAD777

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess I've been naughty too because I have to be my own Santa. To add to that, I'm a procrastinating Santa so my vinhnguyen54 modded D25Cvn and Mini1vn are still on the sleigh.

Bicycleflyer

Enlightened
I been really good,

Got a Malkoff MD2 host body, head, and switch, with a high-low ring. I already have a Malkoff 361 L-M-H drop in that I was using in a bored P6. I guess that will have a new home :)

Can't wait to try it..

Rutha73

Newly Enlightened
I got a PD35! My first high lumen LED light, I can't believe how bright this thing is for the size! My next brightest light is a Streamlight Ultra Stinger that I bought back in 05 or 06 (I think).

MX421

Enlightened
I've seen that Nebo Slyde light in a few places and it was quite bright. Although the stated lumen rating was rather low (250 to 400 i think), it seemed brighter than whatever light i had on me at the time. It has a very focussed beam though with a bit of overspill (in flashlight mode). Still, pretty good for a multi AAA light!

Me, i just gave lights, didn't get any except what i bought myself (Armytek Wizard)

tinmann

Newly Enlightened
Zero Trace. I LOVE it! I however, cannot seem to find a remote switch/ pigtail for it so I can mount it on the right side of my AR15.
Any suggestions?

Cleck

Newly Enlightened

Seeing your Streamlight there just made me miss mine hard core. Somehow lost my Stinger LED with a blue body. Battery and charger are still hanging in the garage, I think someone liberated me of it :(

My brother got me the Amazon special Solaray Pro ZX-1. Think I saw that it didn't get favorably reviewed on the site here, but so far I like it. He got it once he learned about my Streamlight, so it's bigger than my Cree and Coast 1AA lights, but not as big as the Streamlight. If I knew how to make it "better" I would, but for now it's nice. The 18650 battery should last longer than the 14500's that go in the little ones, the reviews did show favorable battery life

Jwilliamsm

Newly Enlightened
Led lenser h14.2

makes cleaning my wheels and callers much easier when I get home from work :laughing:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Seeing your Streamlight there just made me miss mine hard core. Somehow lost my Stinger LED with a blue body. Battery and charger are still hanging in the garage, I think someone liberated me of it :(

My brother got me the Amazon special Solaray Pro ZX-1. Think I saw that it didn't get favorably reviewed on the site here, but so far I like it. He got it once he learned about my Streamlight, so it's bigger than my Cree and Coast 1AA lights, but not as big as the Streamlight. If I knew how to make it "better" I would, but for now it's nice. The 18650 battery should last longer than the 14500's that go in the little ones, the reviews did show favorable battery life

Mean people suck. Anybody who'd clepto a Stinger fits that phrase.
Glad you got another cool flashlight!!!

I held one in a store thinking it was a great flashlight. Told my wife it was likely the best cop light ever made.
A week or two later the UPS man dropped off a Strion.
My wife was all frowny faced with tears welling up in her eyes saying "thought you weren't buying that one"......"man oh man did she go and buy me that Stinger?" I thought...
I said "this aint that one in the store the other day" comparing the little Strion to a nearby TL 2.

Christmas morning she hands me a wrapped box and I'm steady unwrapping thinking 'let it be the Stinger LED'...please please please...YESSSSSS!

Poppy

Flashaholic
^^ you'll love the MD2 hi/lo.

And 6 settings? Cool!!
Like a dual speed rear dump truck.
Ah yes.. you mean like
1 low 1 high
2 low 2 high
3 low 3 high
4 low
5 low
4 high
5 high?

Drove a tractor trailer like that once or twice. :)

Mean people suck. Anybody who'd clepto a Stinger fits that phrase.
Glad you got another cool flashlight!!!

I held one in a store thinking it was a great flashlight. Told my wife it was likely the best cop light ever made.
A week or two later the UPS man dropped off a Strion.
My wife was all frowny faced with tears welling up in her eyes saying "thought you weren't buying that one"......"man oh man did she go and buy me that Stinger?" I thought...
I said "this aint that one in the store the other day" comparing the little Strion to a nearby TL 2.

Christmas morning she hands me a wrapped box and I'm steady unwrapping thinking 'let it be the Stinger LED'...please please please...YESSSSSS!

Nice story bykfixer... Merry Christmas. :thumbsup:

I didn't get coal... I got a lesson.
Once again, I learned the lesson that I sometimes try to teach...
that sometimes the father is smarter than the son.
>
<
<
My dad gifted me a pair of mini maglite incandescents, with extra AA alkalines, that I can use when I get the stuck ones out.
So I pulled them apart, filled them with vinegar ( I had never seen batteries Soooo stuck) Drilled one out, picked at it, poked at it, drilled some more, and checked a youtube video...

Tried gently tapping on top of the switch.
tried more break free, and then WD-40
more tapping.

hmmm.... more drilling from the tail cap end.
more prying the outer case and body apart...
broke the outer rim of the battery with a file, ok, now I might be able to pull on it with needle nose pliers.

Hmmm... I made a plastic punch with a notch in it to protect the switch contacts, while banging on the base of the switch.
Opps the notch isn't deep enough, bent the contact a little bit. Ok... deeper notch.
Tap tap tap... bang... bang... bang. Oh no... the punch is breaking apart.
Bang.. Bang... no more punch.

Well.... maybe the contacts can actually take some abuse, and I am not really making any progress anyway.

Hard wood, wooden dowel, trimmed to size...
tap tap, bang... bang.
16 oz hammer.... bang bang bang....
48oz ball pein hammer.
BANG.. BANG... BANG.

I chewed up a portion of my work bench, but the batteries remained in place. The switch... yeah, that's make believe.

The other one is sitting in my vice, filled with WD-40. Maybe I'll try that one tomorrow. LOL.. maybe not.

I must have spent over two hours, going from being very delicate to increasingly more aggressive.

So I called him, thanked him, and told him that he was smarter than me.

His advice... "Son... chuckle... THROW THEM AWAY!"
lol... so now, why hadn't I thought of that!?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
^^ My mind is racing trying to figure out how to make a 6" long wine bottle opener...

Your pop sounds like a wise man. But once you get to the point of no return it becomes a pride thing.

I'd probably have whipped out the rat tail file by now....dam the torpedoes, these batteries are coming out.
Then...
Parts!!! Mini Mag parts.

Thanks for the video!!! I now know how to repair the switch of an incan I broke a while ago.

Last edited:

Cleck

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, it was my favorite light. Also my biggest light purchase at the time, I wann say it was $180 when I first got it. Still bothers me that I can't find it. I'm pretty convinced it's gone. Part of me is still holding out, but I'm slowly losing hope.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
^^ Eh, what a drag!!

I saw the LED dual switch version (light only) for $85 at 'the fire store' recently while looking up survivors.

I'm sure there are some at the big A.

They have come down it sounds like. Like $125 for the kit.

highergr0und

Newly Enlightened
Nitecore P12. Seems like a fun light so far. Nice and bright, solid build. Got to figure out how much I really like having the dual switches and wish momentary on could be programmed to always be high.

Buck50

Newly Enlightened
Santa had ordered a Olight S1 Copper flashlight on 12/3 but the elves back ordered it and said I wouldn't get it 12/30. Ok, I've got the new flashlight fever and as I've never had a nice one I caved in and ordered a Nitecore M20NW. I got it in but I'd forgotten to order a 18650 battery. Ran down to Batteries Plus and picked up a Nuon battery. Well, long story short, apparently not all batteries are created equal. The M20 came on, I went through a couple of the modes and then bright flash and then it went dead. After researching the forums here I'm hoping the Panasonic ones I've ordered will do the trick.

fieldvilleiowa

Newly Enlightened
Nitecore P12. Seems like a fun light so far. Nice and bright, solid build. Got to figure out how much I really like having the dual switches and wish momentary on could be programmed to always be high.

I got the same thing. Surprisingly nice light, although I wish I had seen the p12gt before... Oh well, still better than my old maglite i have laying around haha