• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired WTB turned down Fraen lens for Firefly

cy

Flashaholic
WTB 2 turned down Fraen lens for Firefly. Please PM.

Thanks,
CY

LED_ASAP

Enlightened
I remember people have posted that trimming a Fraen by 10% reduced the light output by 30%. Apparently Fraen are not suitable to be trimmed down. Just beware of this.

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one in my Firefly and it makes for an exceptional beam compared to the turned down NX05 that came with it. I'm sorry though because I don't know where to get any more.

rick258

Enlightened
I really really wish that someone with the capability would take on this project of producing some turned down fraen's for the firefly as I am sure there are others out there like me that would be willing to pay a premium for a couple of them. Waiting in wish mode. Rick

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
I finally found one for my FireFly and I see very little difference between the Fraen and the NX05 when using a high-dome LED .
I never tried the Fraen with the original low-dome.
Fraen with HD versus NX05 with LD is a HUGE difference but I'm convinced that it's the LED and not the optic that's responsible.

DSpeck

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll see about getting some done, then. I haven't experimented with them, but if you want 'em, I'll get 'em for you... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Alan Hsu

Enlightened
Cindy of the Shoppe just told me it might be a couple of weeks or more for Wayne to make available the turned-down Fraens.

Are there more than one ways to turn down the Fraen?

cy

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
DSpeck said:
I'll see about getting some done, then. I haven't experimented with them, but if you want 'em, I'll get 'em for you... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Dspeck,

Do you have any idea when your next run of turned down fraens for fireflys will be?

Thanks,
CY

DSpeck

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have ordered the Fraens, so they should be here in the next couple of days.
I will take them to the machinist ASAP, so they should be done in about 1 1/2 to 2 weeks. I don't have any better idea about it than that.

DSpeck

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still haven't received the Fraens, so they aren't at the machinists yet. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif I can only assume they weren't in stock when I ordered. My CC was just charged, so they may be on their way now, though. I'll post here when they have been dropped off at the machinist, at which point I should have an idea of when they'll be done.

DSpeck

Flashlight Enthusiast
I finally got the Fraen optics. Now I have to get them up to the machinist. Keep standing by, it won't be too long now... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

thwang99

Newly Enlightened
hi DSpeck, thanks! Another question, I want to modify my turnkey Firefly with a High Dome Lux3. I'm a newbie at this, but I have a soldering iron. How would I go about doing this? Where can I acquire a HD Lux3? Can I use the stock electronics, or do I have to upgrade that also? Do I get a bare emitor? Or the "star" thingy? Also, I want something white, or yellow-white. I don't the stock blue-tint. A great GREAT flashlight, I just LOVE the size! I find the Arc 4+ more versatile, but it's just so big, the firefly is amazingly small. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

- Tony

DSpeck

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi, Tony,

Yes, you can modify the sandwich in the FF with a LuxIII without changing the electronics.

Remove the module from the head of the light by removing the snap-ring with the proper pliers, then shaking gently to remove the module. Unsolder the leads of the existing LD luxeon, (take note of positive/negative connection), and remove it from the sandwich. Clean off the old Arctic Silver paste, and put a fresh coat on very thinly. Replace the stock Luxeon with a LuxIII and resolder leads, making sure the polarity is right. When soldering into place, the Luxeon must be centered on the sandwich, so it sits centered in the optics when you put it back in the FF. If it turns out that Wayne uses heat-sink epoxy to glue the Luxeon down instead of using thermal paste, you will destroy the stock Luxeon and possibly the sandwich by removing it. I've never done a transplant, but this is the procedure I would follow if I was to do so.

Contact Wayne at the Sandwich Shoppe or Wayne at Electrolumens for LuxIIIs. They are a bit hard to come by at present, so you may have to wait awhile. You would want the bare emitter.

balrog

Enlightened
Doug, I know you've been busy with work on the FF2 and I hate to pester you but... With the option of purchasing turned down optics for $8 on the Firefly 2 pre-sale thread, does that mean that these ones will cost $8? More importantly, are you still going to offer turned down Fraens for the Firefly here, separately to the FF2 pre-sale thread? Just so you know, I still want one. May is too long to wait /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif