Malkoff Lumens vs Others

28gauge

Newly Enlightened
I have several Malcoff drop-ins running in Surefire 6P's and 9P's with CR123's. As a general observation I find that Malcoffs are not as bright/powerful as other lights of equal lumens. In particular, the M61L-175 lumens and the M61LL-100 lumens. Fenix lights at similar or lower lumens settings (also on CR123's) are brighter, stronger; seem to be throwing more light regardless of the beam (throw versus spill). Anyone have similar observations?

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Malcoff Lumens vs Others

My experience is similar to yours.

The most current cool Malkoff Hound Dog V3 (XM-L2) is rated at 1,150 lumens at turn on.

The newest Fenix TK35 Ultimate Edition 2015 (XHP 50) is rated at 2,000 lumens at turn on. The 2nd from highest setting on the TK35 is 1,050 lumens.

When comparing the TK35 and Hound Dog (w/MD4) side-by-side, the 1,050 lumens of the TK35 is slightly brighter than the Hound Dogs 1,150 lumens.

Wife and I made the side-by-side comparison several times over several nights with two different Hound Dogs and two different TK35's. Each time all four lights had two fresh off the charger KeepPower 18650 3,400 mAh batteries.

When the TK35 was turned on high it was so much brighter than the Hound Dog, it made the Hound Dog look anemic.

Surprisingly the maximum throw distance of both lights was identical. We were expecting the Hound Dog to out throw the TK35. Although the throw is identical, the TK35 just puts out a ton more light in the spill.

Last edited:

TEEJ

Flashaholic

You described lux while saying it was about lumens.

The discrepancy is most likely the beam angle differences.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast

Our eyes make rather poor lux meters.

A simple ceiling bounce test with a light meter will give the definitive answer.

I'd choose a Malkoff over a Fenix, Jetbeam, Foursevens, Olight, etc every single time.

28gauge

Newly Enlightened

Our eyes make rather poor lux meters.

A simple ceiling bounce test with a light meter will give the definitive answer.

I'd choose a Malkoff over a Fenix, Jetbeam, Foursevens, Olight, etc every single time.

I would not be able to do that test which is why I'm throwing it out to see if others have the same general perception. I'd prefer a Malkoff over many others as well. I wasn't implying that brighter at a particular lumens rating was better.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast

The same XML-2 LED with the same voltage will produced the same lumens. It's physically impossible otherwise. the variable that does change is the size of the reflector. It can make a light feel like a completely different light. If it does not throw enough, lux is low and feels lower on lumens.

for example Malkoff M91 felt (to me) dimmer than Malkoff M61 while the former produced twice as many lumens as the latter. It's just wasn't focusing them very much, felt like holding a 700-lumen light bulb in your hand. Malkoff Hound Dog throws better than Surefire Fury P3x while both produce about 1,000 lumens. Because compared to SF Fury, Hound Dog has a huge head/reflector.

28gauge

Newly Enlightened

The same XML-2 LED with the same voltage will produced the same lumens. It's physically impossible otherwise. the variable that does change is the size of the reflector. It can make a light feel like a completely different light. If it does not throw enough, lux is low and feels lower on lumens.

for example Malkoff M91 felt (to me) dimmer than Malkoff M61 while the former produced twice as many lumens as the latter. It's just wasn't focusing them very much, felt like holding a 700-lumen light bulb in your hand. Malkoff Hound Dog throws better than Surefire Fury P3x while both produce about 1,000 lumens. Because compared to SF Fury, Hound Dog has a huge head/reflector.

I have a Hound Dog v2 and it does throw well on 4 cr123's. Never ran it on 2 18650's because I'm a little concerned about the safety of running those guys in series? Provided the circuitry in the emitter does not present another variable it must come down to the reflector and I have to say, I'm always more impressed with throw over spill.

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast

My wife uses flashlights like they should be used (as tools). She had a Malkoff Wildcat V4 (1,350 lumen XP-G2) that was dedicated to use at the barn. A couple months ago it stopped working. Ends up the diffuser broke loose and took out all three of the LED's. Gene told me it was a common problem and that it happens to a lot of the Wildcat V4's the Law Enforcement guys use. Gene was great and replaced it.

One of our Hound Dogs was not reliable with Battery Station CR123's. It would intermittently go out and flicker, drove me crazy. It was especially bad if the light was being used on the tractor or RTV when things were bouncing around a little. Gene suggested stretching the springs. That fixed the problem for a few days but then it started acting up again. Changing to an MD4 body and a different tailcap solved the problem.

At one time we had four Hound Dog XM-L2's and four Wildcat V4's, but I just sold our last two Malkoffs. We are huge Malkoff fans, but for use around our horse farm and property, there were better options.

So far the Fenix TK35UE suits our needs better. It's more compact, puts out more light than either the HD or Wildcat, and is built tough as nails. My wife's has been banged around a good bit up at the barn, been dropped a few times on hard surfaces and in muddy turnouts, but it still works and looks perfect. She feels it's built tougher than her Malkoff's were. I'm still on the fence about which is tougher, but I'm currently leaning towards the TK35UE.

Last edited:

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast

One of our Hound Dogs was not reliable with Battery Station CR123's. It would intermittently go out and flicker, drove me crazy. It was especially bad if the light was being used on the tractor or RTV when things were bouncing around a little. Gene suggested stretching the springs. That fixed the problem for a few days but then it started acting up again. Changing to an MD4 body and a different tailcap solved the problem.

The problem is, the body is bored for 18mm and the 123 cells are 16mm. I've had that issue with other lites. The device flickers. The cells are loose inside and rattle and you do not get positive ignition. You have to wrap the cells in a layer of paper or something plastic to get positive no-rattle contact. It's not a Malkoff problem per se, but a problem inherent to all 18mm bodies that run 123 cells. It's even worse when you run AA cells in a 123 16mm body. For example 2xAA in a Surefire 9P body. The worst is AA cells in an 18mm body but even that can be fixed with layer of paper around the cells.

The fact you can run 18mm cells in a 18mm MD4 body proves it's not a Malkoff issue per se.

Last edited: