Expensive lights yesterday that are almost worthless today

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I gave away my 3D Maglite with Malkoff module. I remember when it was really hot, but today, just tired of D cells, and bulk and size and leaky alkalines. Gave it away as a gift.

Lots of various generations Maglites were given away. I remember the original LED. Looking at it now, hard to imagine I was excited about that thing, circa 2006. Has it been 10 years already?

Gave away this UltraFire 2xAA/CR2 combo. I recall it was cool back then, someone modded it with P4, now it's less bright than even the stupidest minimag on the market.

what else. Various headlights that were cool 10 years ago and now just sitting in the drawer.

Technology bravely marches on, as does life.

d88

Newly Enlightened
Strangely enough I still have my vanilla 2 D cell Maglite that I've had for over 20 years and have no thoughts of getting rid of it. As you say technology has moved on (for the better) and although the maglight is now reduced to a spare emergency light, I still sort of find it reassuring that it can be used in defensive situations (cough:devil:) around my property if the need arises (there are strict gun/knife laws where I live).

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
I have an old T3 that was just before the cree came into its own. Also some m@g lights with the old replacement LED bulb. An old apex headlight as well. But they all still work years and years later. Dark is still just as dark so are they really so bad.

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any old flashlight where batteries and bulbs are still available will always be of better use then an Apple Macintosh SE30. ;)

Release date: January 19, 1989
Introductory price US$4,369 (1MB RAM, No hard disk), US$4,869 (1MB RAM, 40MB Hard disk), US$6,569 (4MB RAM, 80MB Hard disk)

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
There will always be exceptions. Try to explain the thread title to liteflux lf2xt owners :) Bought mine for 60-70$ lots of years ago. If you can find a used one on the markedplace for less than 200$, consider yourself lucky :) I wished i bought hundreds of them while they lasted..... That would have been a great investment.... There is no aaa light yet that has been made that can come close to do all the stuff a lf2xt can do.
Just upgraded a old nitecore d10 and the lf2xt. Imo, both are way better than the newest stuff thats rushed to the marked. The day one of them die, is the day i will open my wallet wide to get a old, used replacment.

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have never considered Mag lights to be expensive for the product That said I have modded both of my 2D models with AR lens and medium orange peel reflectors and converted one to a LED and the other to a better hot wire bulb. I lost my 5 D cell to an a?? hat thief that busted out the drivers side window to grab my GPS and what ever else they could grab. The police caught them in the act two doors down and my gear sits at the PO as evidence for 3 years now.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
It wasn't the Maglite, but the Malkoff drop-in that was worth a lot more than the Maglite. I remember impressing everyone willing to listen. How time flies.